ORNATE Playing Cards Preview

Author (Read 39475 times)

ORNATE Playing Cards Preview
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:05:12 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
I was planning on waiting a couple more weeks to introduce myself and my deck design, but after I saw Encarded's Tendril very nice preview I figured I better do it now so no one thought I later "borrowed" the inclusion of a border and background pattern on the face cards.

Hello everyone,

My name is Randy Butterfield. I'm a designer with Motive Marketing and I live in Indianapolis, IN with my wife Susan, our 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. I have been working on my design for ORNATE Playing Cards for a couple months now. With work and the family I usually only get a couple hours to work on the cards late at night, hence the name Midnight Card Company.

I have lingered around on this great forum for a few months now and have a lot of respect for the regulars and their opinions. I will have a Kickstarter campaign up for the cards probably in February or March. I still have some court cards and the Jokers to finish plus I want to do an animation video / trailer.

I have been a fan of playing cards since I was a kid and have always loved great packaging design, so when I was introduced to Kickstarter and saw the Revision 1 Deck in mid-campaign I was hooked. That and the Americana Deck are two of my favorite custom decks I have seen. Both created by fellow Indianapolis residents even!

I have posted the Tuck Box (haven't touched the legal flap yet), the Back and a few of the Face Cards. The cards have kept me pretty busy so I haven't had much time to lockup any domain names or attempt to get any quotes from the USPCC or any other business-related necessities. I hope everyone likes the look of it!

thanks, Randy

Re: ORNATE Playing Cards Preview
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The deck looks great Randy, I will be a sure-fire backer all the way. The design really looks great, and vintage somewhat. I am guessing that there'll be two versions, right?
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
 ;D OMG this deck is incredible!!!
I'm just hoping these are 2 different decks because if not, the cards don't match well.
The detail and artwork is just incredible!
Amazing job man!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Really, guys?  I think this version is great; the red and black printing for red and black cards works great.  I would say that the back looks very 'Artifice' but not in a copying kind of way, just reminiscent (and why not?  It's a great back).  I love the pip layout; off kilter but obviously well thought out and designed (unlike the Tunstene).  Beautiful shading on everything.  Plus, you've actually been a little bit creative with the border, having a design element extend beyond it.  I wish more people would do that.

My only concern is how they'll look after they're printed.  They're so vibrant off the software but real world problems often seem to cause things to fade.  I guess that's down to what the USPCC can do.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
The deck is beyond amazing so far. Keep up the great work and you have me as a backer.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:09:06 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
This deck is incredible. So much talent has been coming out in such little time. You will go far with this deck, and in all your future endeavors in the card buisness.

I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 12:09:53 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I'll have to agree with the first two comments, although the black and red backgrounds can work, the silver and copper borders shouldn't be part of the same deck. The border of the face should definitely be the same color as the one on the back.

That being said, it is by far the most impressive design we've seen for a while. :D
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Your skills are amazing, I will definitely back you!

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:25:45 AM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
Yeah, great job on this deck!

What MagicAddictz and KPopFever said though, I hope this is two decks not just one :)
The deck looks great and is very well designed.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 12:49:08 AM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Very Nice, I'd definately back your kickstarter campaign.
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 01:13:35 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Thanks for the great comments! It's really been a blast working on these.

The plan is to have a set with 2 different backs (Blue/Gold, Red/Silver).
Each deck will have the same Red/Silver and Black/Gold Face Cards.

I went back and forth on the different borders and at the beginning I had the Reds also have the Gold Border. It didn't look right with the Silver PIPS and Indices. With the Reds having the Gold Border, Gold PIPS and Gold Indices they looked good with the Red background but they didn't have that nice contrast as Red and Silver does. I knew I was taking a chance with the 2 different borders but I figured I would go for it and see what happened.

Another reasoning is I noticed a lot of the more minimal decks have very subtle differences between the Red and Black suits. I've been playing Poker for years (the Gaff Cards will be Poker related) and it's nice when you're using a deck that has rich contrast between the suits so you can register what you have in your hand quickly.

I don't know much about Magic, but I figured the Red Suits could be used with the Red/Silver Back and the Black Suits could be used with the Blue/Gold Back.

thanks, Randy
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:14:38 AM by RandyButterfield »

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 01:22:38 AM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
i'm in, let me know when u put it up on kickstarter

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Wow amazing job, you have deffinetly secured a backer with me :)
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 01:59:10 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Looks amazing! But the red in the back design looks kinda orange to me.
Also, why is the front of the red box, a diamond instead of a spade? Its not a bad thing... I'm just wondering.

But you can count on me as a backer!

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Awesome design!
Count me in :)

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wow... I was not on for a little while and I come back to this! I'm speechless! These are awesome!

I would say amazing job for such little time, but I'm sure you've put in countless hours. Nonetheless it is still incredible! I really like the colors and the court cards looks superb. The crowns on the queens with the suits look really nice. I will be behind this one all the way!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Wow. You can definitely count me as a backer. The design on these cards is amazing. It's so beautiful and intricate. Honestly, I'm almost speechless. Great job, especially as it's your first deck!
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Very impressive Randy, well done. This just goes to show that the aesthetic quality of a deck of cards can truly be anything dreamable. I personally tend to go to the simpler, so Ornate is a little "visually heavy" for me but the detail is wonderful. I'll pick up a deck for sure. Hope you can do the same for me. :)

Independent designers can make some amazing things. Who needs big companies?
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I like the very subtle one way back design.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I just figured it out too! Its pretty easy to find if you are examining the cards but no one would see it if they weren't looking for it.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Very sharp and elegant looking cards you created Randy.  You can definitely count me in as a backer as well.  Looks like you already have a growing number of backers/supporters.  I wish you the best on this project and am looking forward to its success.
- Adam

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
xmetal - I will definitely be pledging for some Tendril and Curator decks!

Looks amazing! But the red in the back design looks kinda orange to me.
Also, why is the front of the red box, a diamond instead of a spade? Its not a bad thing... I'm just wondering.

Yep. The gradient for the Red Back goes from a rich red to a yellow/orange in the center. I have on my notes of changes to add some more Magenta to the gradient to make it less orange, I just haven't squeezed it in yet.

I actually like it going from red to pink in the center (much like the Blue Back going from a rich blue to light Cyan) but I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to have a back card containg Pink in what seems to be a fairly male dominated world of Playing Cards.

As for the Diamond on the Red Tuck Box - Why not? I know the history of the Spade with the English taxes and Vietnam scare tactics but I figured the other suits needed their props as well. That's why all of the Aces have large center suits, not just the Ace of Spades.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Could you post some more pics when you have them? I really love seeing all of these cards. Its such a cool looking deck!

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
I just figured it out too! Its pretty easy to find if you are examining the cards but no one would see it if they weren't looking for it.

I was about to post the samething, when fanned or spread the one way back would be hard to detect unless you where looking for it. This is a amazing design and I would be happy to back it.

Billy.

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
These are beautiful cards. I love them and will be pleging for at least a dozen of these they are amazing and I love them. Keep up te awesome work! :) :) :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.