You are Here:
Clear Mechanics Deck (Discourse Exclusive)

Author (Read 1977 times)

Clear Mechanics Deck (Discourse Exclusive)
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
This Friday Loop Cuts launches It's Summer campaign that includes Three releases.  We are dropping by the Discourse to reveal the Clear Mechanics gallery exclusively. 

The Clear Mechanics concept was developed about 7 months back when we were playing with a few new ideas.  We had seen a few artists on YouTube featuring similar concepts to help teach artists how to utilize a technique.  The simplicity of revealing the handling behind card sleights to aid others was a huge benefit for new magicians & cardists.  This was something that we really wanted to share and improve on.

Playing card technicians spend years mastering there craft.  The study of processioned placement and execution, hidden in plain sight, is there art of motion.

Clear Mechanics offers, both student and teacher, complete transparency when it matters most. A mirror for the student and a superior tool for the study of motion.

(NOTE: The gallery is featuring lower quality images than what will be featured on the site)

Re: Clear Mechanics Deck (Discourse Exclusive)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »

formula

• Where's Jerry?
I like it, though it's nothing that kids can't create in school for free. To part with money they would need something more than an infinity symbol on clear acrylic. Engrave a quote from a great card magician on each block or something.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Interesting. This would be petty useful for tutorials. Looks like Amazon has a glass version of this, but you only get 6.
http://www.amazon.com/Thin-PCS-Crystal-Deck-Block/dp/B00CP0278Q

How many will be in one pack?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:41:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Interesting. This would be petty useful for tutorials. Looks like Amazon has a glass version of this, but you only get 6.

I think you got the count wrong - this is a capture of the page you linked to.

The weight is listed as 6.4 ounces - nearly triple the weight of a paper deck of 56 cards.  I would seriously think that would throw off anyone training with these when trying to apply their learned skills to a paper deck.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:43:31 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »

formula

• Where's Jerry?
Don, when an athlete trains with weights does it throw off their game in whatever sport they may play? No. The training with additional weight provides them with greater control and precision over muscle movement and ability with whatever they may use to play. Using a heavy "training" deck is supposed to do the same thing. I don't think it throws anything off.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:26:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, when an athlete trains with weights does it throw off their game in whatever sport they may play? No. The training with additional weight provides them with greater control and precision over muscle movement and ability with whatever they may use to play. Using a heavy "training" deck is supposed to do the same thing. I don't think it throws anything off.

Your comparison isn't very apt - weight training in sports is for strength (or is the sport itself) while the practice of cardistry is a matter of precision hand movements and developing muscle memory.  It's like taking a student calligrapher, teaching him to write with a very heavy pen, then after some months taking it away and giving him a lighter pen.  For the first several days after the switch, that lighter pen will throw off his or her movements, requiring the retraining of their muscles and tendons to become accustomed to using less effort to make the same movements.  I used to practice aikido, and if I trained extensively with a heavy bokken (practice sword) or jo (a staff approx. four feet long - the distance from your armpit to the floor) and at my rank test had to switch to a lighter model, it would take away some of my precision in my kata (basic moves, drills) because my body's muscles had built up their memory with the heavier weight.

You mentioned sports and athletes.  Take any sport with a thrown ball.  Have an athlete practice with a heavy version of that ball and set up a practice target that he or she can hit from a fixed distance.  Have the athlete practice for maybe a half-year or a year.  Then switch the heavy ball for a light one and tell the athlete to hit the exact same spot he or she was hitting before.  Their ability to throw the ball won't be hindered since it's the same movements, but their precision would be hampered because the weight difference takes getting used to and the athlete will likely overshoot several times in the beginning until he or she becomes adjusted and retrains those muscles to apply less force at the same level of control.

It's why most ball-throwing or -kicking sports regulate the permissible composition, size and weight of the ball used in their sport.  American baseball players LOVE Japanese baseballs.  They contain a rubber core that allows for hitting the ball to a greater distance than they'd normally be able to using a US-regulation baseball.  Which is why MLB never permits their use, just as they don't allow larger, smaller, lighter or heavier balls that are beyond their specifications.  All the players practice on equal footing using in essence the same tools of the trade.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:38:16 AM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
That depends on the sport, and training methods and the specific goal. You also have to factor in the level of experience those players already have. Even at the JV/C grade level, they've had at least a year of training.

I can see this training tool being of benefit for learning the movements of flourishes, but it will take people new to cardistry time to adjust to using a deck of cards (flex, grip etc).

It's why most ball-throwing or -kicking sports regulate the permissible composition, size and weight of the ball used in their sport.  American baseball players LOVE Japanese baseballs.  They contain a rubber core that allows for hitting the ball to a greater distance than they'd normally be able to using a US-regulation baseball.  Which is why MLB never permits their use, just as they don't allow larger, smaller, lighter or heavier balls that are beyond their specifications.  All the players practice on equal footing using in essence the same tools of the trade.
Adding on to Don's section here - training sometimes involves something heavier (American football filled half way with water) to compensate for specific events that can happen in the sport. But at that point, it's not a finesse/technique training issue - it's a strength based one.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 06:07:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That depends on the sport, and training methods and the specific goal. You also have to factor in the level of experience those players already have. Even at the JV/C grade level, they've had at least a year of training.

I can see this training tool being of benefit for learning the movements of flourishes, but it will take people new to cardistry time to adjust to using a deck of cards (flex, grip etc).

Adding on to Don's section here - training sometimes involves something heavier (American football filled half way with water) to compensate for specific events that can happen in the sport. But at that point, it's not a finesse/technique training issue - it's a strength based one.

And let's not forget that the glass deck is nearly TRIPLE the weight of a paper one.  Imagine a player throwing a football that's triple the regulation weight, or a baseball player swinging a bat that's triple standard weight.  I once handled, very briefly, a bokken that was easily triple the weight of the heaviest one I ever owned - the damn thing looked almost like a tree trunk it was so thick.  I couldn't even wrap my fingers around any portion other than the handle.  I was wielding that thing with with neither grace nor ease.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
All very good points.  Lets take a moment to really understand our reasoning for the Clear Mechanics Deck.  The main benefit is to see what you normally cannot.  You should always use a normal deck during the learning process but this tool allows you to go back and forth so that you can truly dissect the motion  & finger placement.  When I was personally learning a move, I found most of my learning taking place when I made mistakes on finger placement and had to readjust continuously.  This is by no means the holy grail for students, but it is a very useful tool.  Also consider all the times that you've been at a magic meeting or a conference and someone is trying to teach you on the spot.  They could hold the Clear Mechanics deck while you held a normal deck.  Hope this helps.

Thanks!

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
You might want a border on the outer edge of the cards, because they will be hard to follow on home-made YT vids. :P
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

I think you got the count wrong - this is a capture of the page you linked to.

The weight is listed as 6.4 ounces - nearly triple the weight of a paper deck of 56 cards.  I would seriously think that would throw off anyone training with these when trying to apply their learned skills to a paper deck.

Oop. Yeah, I put down the wrong number.

I've actually used them at a magic shop in LA, and they're horrible for practice. They feel nothing like normal cards, and one of the most important parts of cardistry is getting a feel for the friction, weight, and overall feel of the deck.

These are more useful as a teaching tool, as Loopcuts said. That way people learning can see what the hands are doing below the deck. If someone wanted to practice cardistry without losing the cards, I'd recommend using masking tape to make packets out of normal playing cards.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:38:15 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Clear Mechanics Deck | Now Available

http://loopcuts.com/?product=clear-mechanics-deck