You are Here:
Hi

Author (Read 520 times)

Hi
« on: November 26, 2013, 04:44:55 AM »

MattP

• Newcomer
My love for playing cards is shown with a small but growing collection, by playing poker with my buddies and, when feeling confident, doing a handful of tricks/cardistry which I need to stay on top of but seems to flow better when I've had a couple of beers. I design them too.

I'm hoping to pick up some top tips, show you what I'm up to and be more involved in the playing card community.

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:40:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Matt, welcome to the Discourse - we're glad to have you here.  We're a pretty disparate bunch, but very much like you in how much we enjoy our playing cards, whether someone's a player, magician, cardist, collector, playing card house builder or some combination - we even get the occasional designer around here as well.  Please, make yourself at home and if there's something we can do to help you learn the ropes, by all means, ask.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Love the avatar. Welcome to the forums you sexy goose.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome to the site Matt, very friendly, helpful community here. Do you collect some type of playing cards in particular or just whatever catches your eye?

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »

MattP

• Newcomer
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I've been called some things in my time but never a sexy goose. Love it. Made my day.

As far as collecting goes, to be honest, right now it's purely on what catches my eye. My girlfriend has been buying me much older decks (original wrapping + tax stamp) on ebay as gifts. I love them... but I want to play with them. Herein lies my problem. I'm afraid to with these but with other newer decks I don't have the same issue. Kinda torn. The collecting part is very new to me as I'd always want play with what I'd bought and didn't feel like I could do this with rarer decks. I'm out of my comfort zone for sure. My fascination is still more about using them (that's what they're there for right) but the old decks are soooo beautiful... help!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:30:19 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
MattP - Don't mind Br?xis. He is kooky and off the wall like me.  What ever you do if he asks for a real picture of you don't give it to him.  I've heard some strange things.  I would suggest just collect the newer decks for now.  Buy 2, one to keep safe and one to open and examine.  It sounds like your getting the collector bug.  Do some research before you start buying vintage decks off of Ebay.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:29:02 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I've been called some things in my time but never a sexy goose. Love it. Made my day.

As far as collecting goes, to be honest, right now it's purely on what catches my eye. My girlfriend has been buying me much older decks (original wrapping + tax stamp) on ebay as gifts. I love them... but I want to play with them. Herein lies my problem. I'm afraid to with these but with other newer decks I don't have the same issue. Kinda torn. The collecting part is very new to me as I'd always want play with what I'd bought and didn't feel like I could do this with rarer decks. I'm out of my comfort zone for sure. My fascination is still more about using them (that's what they're there for right) but the old decks are soooo beautiful... help!!!!

I love playing with my cards as well, everything from solitaire to sleight-of-hand to Shrinkdumfunnybuster (don't ask)...

Soak in the new messages, and when you finish them up, start looking around at the older ones.  Don't be afraid to ask questions - we all had to start somewhere.  Granted, it will take you a little time, since right now you hardly know what questions to ask, am I right?  :))  The search function can be your friend here.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/