You are Here:
Starting to Collect

Author (Read 6012 times)

Starting to Collect
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »

SpiritsCrusader

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
   I am just starting to collect Playing cards, most of my collections end up in a box because I don't have a good way to display them, my shot glasses are the only thing that I have that have stayed out of boxes.

Any Suggestions on where to get Playing cards from and how to display them?

Re: Starting to Collect
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Ebay is your best friend with the "getting decks" part. You can find pretty much any deck you want and usually cheaper than retailers. Starting out a collection is so hard because there are hundreds of decks you want, just have to pace yourself  ::)

Displaying them is something I'm also working on. I have some cool boxes but it'd be nice to make something that hangs on my wall.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Here are just a few places to buy cards from:

www.ebay.com
www.ellusionist.com
www.theory11.com
www.dananddave.com
www.thebluecrown.com
www.the1eyedjack.com
www.bmpokerworld.com

Those are just of few of many different places.

As for displaying them... here is how I display mine:  I have 2 of these things: http://www.target.com/p/Black-Media-Storage-Tower/-/A-13574909

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:27:47 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Here are just a few places to buy cards from:

www.ebay.com
www.ellusionist.com
www.theory11.com
www.dananddave.com
www.thebluecrown.com
www.the1eyedjack.com
www.bmpokerworld.com

Those are just of few of many different places.

As for displaying them... here is how I display mine:  I have 2 of these things: http://www.target.com/p/Black-Media-Storage-Tower/-/A-13574909

Are the shelves on those book cases adjustable? I might get one and work on adjusting the shelves at a slant, kind of like Alex's display.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
They are adjustable but I don't know if they will slant

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
They are adjustable but I don't know if they will slant

As long as there are rails to adjust them, I'll build some sort of holder or glue something together to make them slant. That's a good price for them and I love that it's black.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
If you have an Ikea somewhere nearby, this is a super cheap and easy way to get some decks on the wall.

http://encarded.com/post/15412231228/if-you-are-looking-for-a-cheap-and-easy-way-to
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Getting that black bookcase to slant could be slightly challenging, but I'm sure there ways to do it. There is usually some random way to do most tasks with ease. Keep in mind you need something to catch the decks before they slide right off with the slant!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Getting that black bookcase to slant could be slightly challenging, but I'm sure there ways to do it. There is usually some random way to do most tasks with ease. Keep in mind you need something to catch the decks before they slide right off with the slant!

Yeah, I'd make some makeshift contraption to hold them. And then I'd get some sort of thin molding and spray paint it black then just use wood glue to line it on the bottom to catch the decks. I think it would look nice!

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
   I am just starting to collect Playing cards, most of my collections end up in a box because I don't have a good way to display them, my shot glasses are the only thing that I have that have stayed out of boxes.

Welcome to the card collecting world!!

Off topic.. I would love to see your shot glass collection!

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

TigerKnee

• Hi. My name is TigerKnee. I am a cardiholic
If you have an Ikea somewhere nearby, this is a super cheap and easy way to get some decks on the wall.

http://encarded.com/post/15412231228/if-you-are-looking-for-a-cheap-and-easy-way-to

I second Ikea.  I found this groovy shelving unit and bought additional glass shelves.

I have no signature.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
@TigerKnee whats the name of that shelf?

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
@TigerKnee whats the name of that shelf?
Its name is Book... Book Shelf  ;)

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

I second Ikea.  I found this groovy shelving unit and bought additional glass shelves.

Daaannnnnggggg. That's impressive looking. I like the look with the decks sideways, although most people don't have enough decks to do that with.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Holy cow! That looks awesome!! I'm still upset that I have my decks chilling in boxes. I can't wait to get something like that, although I don't have nearly as many decks  ;)

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »

SpiritsCrusader

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Welcome to the card collecting world!!

Off topic.. I would love to see your shot glass collection! 

Sure i'll take a picture and post it.

CBJ

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 03:07:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

(photo removed)

That collection and that display looks totally awesome.  I bow before you...   :))

I have a similar unit, with fewer shelves and a drawer.  I've been thinking of better ways to utilize the space.  I love how yours looks like a bookshelf holding miniature books!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
SpiritsCrusader

Your reply about the shot glasses never showed up!

Please post again

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 06:41:50 AM »

TigerKnee

Thanks for the kind words.  The rows of decks are actually four deep.  Wish I had another shelf for the rest of my decks!  But as someone already mentioned (and as most of you can tell), it's a bookshelf :)  You can just go to Ikea and find it quite easily.
I have no signature.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Thanks for the kind words.  The rows of decks are actually four deep.  Wish I had another shelf for the rest of my decks!  But as someone already mentioned (and as most of you can tell), it's a bookshelf :)  You can just go to Ikea and find it quite easily.

Four deep?! I thought it was two. That is unbelievable. I dont have words for how impressive that is. 

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Four deep?! I thought it was two. That is unbelievable. I dont have words for how impressive that is.
Seconded!
Seriously, how many decks are on that bookshelf (roughly)? And how many Bee Watermelons do you have?  :o
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Good grief! Seriously people! My desk is going to get ruined if you keep showing me that pic. [drooling...]

Anyway, just got started on my collection as well and it won't fit a shelf yet. But I'm gunning for a lot of decks this year and that's not even counting the ones yet to be released. Any other suggestions on displaying decks?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:19:50 PM by kensei777 »
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
This may be obvious...but just sharing a mistake I made when I was just starting out...Gravity and Sunlight are not your friend.  Alot of the decks I 1st purchased (which luckily weren't expensive decks) I stored stacked recklessly on top of one another.  This caused a lot of the decks to warp over time.  To top it all off...I stored them in a bookcase next to a large window without the curtains drawn...which caused the color to fade on some of the decks. 

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »

TigerKnee

Seconded!
Seriously, how many decks are on that bookshelf (roughly)? And how many Bee Watermelons do you have?  :o

Not counting the ones inside of bricks on top, there are 1,627 in there.  As for Melons, I had 17 bricks but I just traded off three.  As you can see, those are my favorite decks!
I have no signature.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 02:46:22 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Seconded!

Not counting the ones inside of bricks on top, there are 1,627 in there.  As for Melons, I had 17 bricks but I just traded off three.  As you can see, those are my favorite decks!

Shoot! 17 bricks is insane. There are one a few decks that I would ever want that many bricks of haha. That's pretty incredible. How long have you been collecting?