« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:24 AM »

Ben Taylor

Re: texasplayingcards.com
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2013, 01:13:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There's already a game called 31.
http://www.bicyclecards.com/card-games/rule/thirty-one

Yeah, but not only is that a "non-blackjack" type of game, it doesn't use his wacky playing cards with umpteen ranks and too many suits...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Ben Taylor - That is true there is a game of 31, but this one is different.  The points for the Court Cards are as followed : King (15), Queen (14), Bishop (13), Cavalier (12), Jack (11), Tower (I0), 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, A, J(oker) 0, 8, or 16.  Don is right when he says  "Yeah, but not only is that a "non-blackjack" type of game, it doesn't use his wacky playing cards with umpteen ranks and too many suits..."  I have 9 suits, so that leaves 1 odd ball suit of gold.  I want to make it to where you win if you get 3 tower cards even if the dealer has 31.   I really want to make a special payout if you get 3 gold towers out of 432 cards. 

Don - I seems to get 3 gold towers is 430 : 1.  So it seems the payout should be 400 to 1.  Or if you had a $10 bet you should get $4000.  Is that right?  In a weird way I'm trying to make possible to win at 30.  3 gold towers is like 3 getting 7's in slots = 21. A harder question would be what would be the odds of getting 3 towers in any suit.  There are 27 towers in 3 decks....

This might mess with the house odds, but a dealer Joker is always 8 or 16 never 0.    In fact, if the dealer shows a joker in the hole cards.  That Joker is 16.  If the dealer is dealt (J,J).  The value would be 24 (16 + 8).  Which brings up an interesting fact.  Would the dealer have to stand at 24?   I know this is a hard question.  In regular blackjack the dealer stands at a soft17.   I thinking the dealer should stand at 25, so he should take another card if he got (J,J)...

Found an interesting article. http://www.wopc.co.uk/tarot/rider-waite/...... check out John William Waterhouse. Goggle the images. The expresstion on the faces is what I'm looking for in the 2nd deck. The Jokers in the 1st deck are a hint of what to expect the court cards to be in the 2nd deck...

Rider- Waite changed the way we see tarot cards today in 1909. "the sequence of the majors has been altered from the standard Marseille pattern by switching Justice and Strength."
List of standard Tarot before 1909. http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Tarot_de_Marseille......

If you dig deeper, the Tarots in order in 1470. It's the first known list of the majors http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Sermones_de_Ludo_Cum_Aliis    This is kind of like what I'm trying to do with this deck. Bring back the known history...   Link is Fixed.  Thanks Don!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:58:14 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don - I seems to get 3 gold towers is 430 : 1.  So it seems the payout should be 400 to 1.  Or if you had a $10 bet you should get $4000.  Is that right?  In a weird way I'm trying to make possible to win at 30.  3 gold towers is like 3 getting 7's in slots = 21. A harder question would be what would be the odds of getting 3 towers in any suit.  There are 27 towers in 3 decks....

Yeah, you would get that.  I won't even ask how, because your math is totally f**ked up.  The odds of choosing any ONE SPECIFIC CARD from a 432-card deck is 432:1 - how on Earth is it EASIER to get THREE specific cards?

If you dig deeper, the Tarots in order in 1470. It's the first known list of the majors http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Sermones ... _Cum_Aliis...... This is kind of like what I'm trying to do with this deck. Bring back the known history...

Hate to break it to you, but this page has a lot in common with your deck.  It doesn't exist.

Enough with the ersatz history lessons.  Either put up or shut up.  Make the deck already.  The beer's going to be warm by the time the train wreck happens...  You want to talk about a SECOND deck - finish the FIRST one first!

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

Leif

• Elite Member

Enough with the ersatz history lessons.  Either put up or shut up.  Make the deck already.  The beer's going to be warm by the time the train wreck happens...  You want to talk about a SECOND deck - finish the FIRST one first!

Yeah, stop dilly-dallying and make this deck.

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

This is one of the single, greatest threads I have ever read.

Take one illogical troll (Sprout) and pit him against a long-standing logical thinker (Don).

Personally, I'm waiting with bated breath to see this deck get made. These are the outcomes I forsee:

1) Sprout gets all these cards from USPCC and finds that he can't get 64 cards into the tuck boxes as predicted by his conscience, who I can only assume looks like a gypsy fortune-teller using a pool ball in place of a crystal one;

2) There is going to be a point when he's attempting to hurry through the process of rearranging the cards into boxes that he'll make a series of mistake which will result in some boxes having either less than 64 cards, or doubling up on some cards in place of others, e.g. 2 Jokers of Clubs, and no Bishop of Hearts;

3) My personal favourite. He somehow manages to shoehorn 64 cards into a Bicycle deck tuck box, only to find that not only can he not close the box, but also, he now cannot remove the cards as they are wedged in too much and he can't push them back out as the bottom is sealed.

Now accepting all bets. :D
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2013, 11:30:40 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
4) He turns into a mountain lion and haunts the fields of Tijuana, scaring children into thinking he is the Chupacabra
Forum Founder.

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Take one illogical troll (Sprout) and pit him against a long-standing logical thinker (Don).

Personally, I'm waiting with bated breath to see this deck get made. These are the outcomes I forsee:

1) Sprout gets all these cards from USPCC and finds that he can't get 64 cards into the tuck boxes as predicted by his conscience, who I can only assume looks like a gypsy fortune-teller using a pool ball in place of a crystal one;

2) There is going to be a point when he's attempting to hurry through the process of rearranging the cards into boxes that he'll make a series of mistake which will result in some boxes having either less than 64 cards, or doubling up on some cards in place of others, e.g. 2 Jokers of Clubs, and no Bishop of Hearts;

3) My personal favourite. He somehow manages to shoehorn 64 cards into a Bicycle deck tuck box, only to find that not only can he not close the box, but also, he now cannot remove the cards as they are wedged in too much and he can't push them back out as the bottom is sealed.

You missed the one where the tension of 64 cards in one pack causes the packs to spontaneously explode upon arriving at his house, forcing him to repack every single deck from the mess of weird cards and ruined boxes.

He will inevitably fail, and contemplate the loss of $10,000 dollars over tear soaked cake and Everclear.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:53:51 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2013, 06:01:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You missed the one where the tension of 64 cards in one pack causes the packs to spontaneously explode upon arriving at his house, forcing him to repack every single deck from the mess of weird cards and ruined boxes.

He will inevitably fail, and contemplate the loss of $10,000 dollars over tear soaked cake and Everclear.

And of course, there's the one where they blow and suck so hard simultaneously, they create an exploding black hole, constantly pulling and pushing everything in the universe - and in the end, having no effect on anything or anyone whatsoever...

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Whoa. I just visited his Kickstarter preview.

What the dick is that $2 reward?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Ridiculous, it what it is...

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I would have so gone for it if it were Aces and 8's, but Aces and Jokers... no thanks.  And what a waste of a USPCC tuck box than to flatten it as a firm protector.  What is he doing with the rest of the deck?  On the preview I get what he was doing on his main image with bullet riddled letters but he needed to make it more obvious, it just looks like bad pixelation.

I'll give him credit, he took special care in lining up the reward banners with the rewards themselves, that's pretty awesome, however you have to scroll way down to see what he's pitching.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:01:40 AM by Alex Willis »
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
On the bright side, he's invented an entire new game called "64 card pick up" .....

EDIT: who am I kidding? There's no bright side to this abomination

$3 for a signature?! Dafuq?! That's the first I've heard a creator on KS (or anywhere for that matter) charge for something to be signed!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:48:42 PM by brownmagician »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

On the bright side, he's invented an entire new game called "64 card pick up" .....

Of course there is, 64 cards burn longer than 52.  ;)

Also, can someone translate the 'Cavalier' level pledge, it says it's limited to 100, but in the side bar it says '99 of 99' and the description underneath indicates that they will be numbered '2-100'. What happened to number #1?

Perhaps I should be the first to pledge that level, cos then I'd get number 2 of a shit deck. Herp herp!  ;D

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Also, can someone translate the 'Cavalier' level pledge, it says it's limited to 100, but in the side bar it says '99 of 99' and the description underneath indicates that they will be numbered '2-100'. What happened to number #1?

Perhaps I should be the first to pledge that level, cos then I'd get number 2 of a shit deck. Herp herp!  ;D

You're seeking logic where none exists...

« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

Lol in all fairness to him, his math is correct. #1 is at the $1000 pledge - never seen a pledge tier so high .. Maybe he was high when he created this ....
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Lol in all fairness to him, his math is correct. #1 is at the $1000 pledge - never seen a pledge tier so high .. Maybe he was high when he created this ....

Actually, high rewards aren't that uncommon.  I recall the Vortex deck had a reward for $5,000.  They're kind of "pie-in-the-sky" rewards.  Think of it like wishing - if you don't wish big, you won't get anything big.

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2013, 04:03:58 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Actually, high rewards aren't that uncommon.  I recall the Vortex deck had a reward for $5,000.  They're kind of "pie-in-the-sky" rewards.  Think of it like wishing - if you don't wish big, you won't get anything big.

I think it's a little much when the top tier pledge is SOOOOO much higher than even the project goal. I think the 'Flip 52' project has a goal of $1000, but the top tier is $10,000. The 'prize' is to go and meet the team behind the project.

:P Clearly someone thinks highly of themselves. I could fly to Las Vegas from Australia and do hookers and blow for a solid week for that much.  :karrit:

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2013, 04:11:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I think it's a little much when the top tier pledge is SOOOOO much higher than even the project goal. I think the 'Flip 52' project has a goal of $1000, but the top tier is $10,000. The 'prize' is to go and meet the team behind the project.

:P Clearly someone thinks highly of themselves. I could fly to Las Vegas from Australia and do hookers and blow for a solid week for that much.  :karrit:

There's nothing wrong with aiming beyond your target.  It's how many martial artists deliver an effective strike - aim not at your target, but at some unseeable, distant point BEYOND your target, so the power you deliver will go through your target.  If you aim only at your target, that's as far as you'll reach.  Woe be unto you if the target steps back beyond that reach!

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2013, 11:02:22 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Alex Willis - That pic is probably going to change.  Yes, they are bullet holes.  In fact, I might have to put bullet holes in the "Texas" on the box.  Bicycle says it looks to much like their logo..

"Hi Russell!
This makes perfect sense now – thank you for explaining :)
We will work up all of your job all at once when we get all the files.
Q1-Q4 : we actually do Q1-Q3. Q1 is casino quality, Q2 is what we run most everything at and Q3 is for give away decks.
For the border width – if you could stay half way between the cut line and the dotted line on the die that would be ok for a thinner border all around. Watch the top and bottom art though because I noticed like on your spades the spade is past that top and bottom.
Your back card ideas will work fine, those are totally different than our Texan design back so that if fine there.
On the tuck though, legal is pushing back on the tuck not being Bicycle branded but looking like it is. This look will need to be changed to not look like Bicycle. Sorry about this but we push back on anyone that makes their tucks look like Bike without putting the actual Bike banner logo on it.
The text in the heart on the front panel of the tuck we would suggest making the font slightly bigger so that it prints clearly.
I have attached the seal template.
Thank you!!"

I still have the ace of Diamonds to give out for advertisement; It looks pretty boring...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:01:36 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2013, 06:42:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've got to wonder what this entire project is going to cost you.  I'm looking at the numbers, and honestly, I question whether $15,000 is going to be enough for what you're planning on - 2,500-deck print run of 56 cards, plus a separate run of at least 313 sheets for the additional eight cards in each deck (assuming that USPC will allow such a tiny run, since they never have before), custom-made tuck boxes that will accommodate the oversized deck, AND shipping, handling and tchochkes.  $15,000 just doesn't look like enough - have you got hard numbers to add up for this thing, Russell, or are you just making them up off-the-cuff?  Assuming you did miraculously get funded, this could really blow up in your face if you haven't accounted for every little expensive detail here.  Be certain BEFORE you hit "Launch".

« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Don - You're right.  It probably has to be at least $20,000.  Just to make sure.  I do have some hard numbers that are out of date(March).  Once all the cards get done and are submitted to USPCC, I'll be asking for a second quote.  I do know Bee Stock recently changed from .08 per deck to .10 per deck (minimum order of 5000).

Back in March I was quoted at $1.75 per deck.  The reason it's so cheap, I'm asking for plain white tuck boxes with no seal or cellophane.  The original plan was to order 5000 of uncut sheet #1 and 715 of uncut #2.  5100 / 8 = 637.5   715 decks just to make sure to cover the %10 + or - and have extra aces and jokers to give out.   Now USPCC will print a deck less than their 2500 minimum but it will cost you.  It would have been $6.22 per deck.  I think in a past response you made me realize it's better to just order 2500 decks of uncut sheet #2.  It's cheaper and leaves me with a lot of extra aces and jokers but with the potential of making (2500 * 8)  20,000 decks for the first run.

5000 decks of uncut sheet #1:     $8750
2500 decks of uncut sheet #2:     $4375
5000 boxes to hold 64 cards:       $1900
custom seals:                                 $379  = $15,404

So basically,  that's $3.08 per deck which is not to far off a Bicycle branded deck.  I think it's higher now but it was $2.72 per deck (2500-5000 decks)  back in March.  It's like .75 extra for a Bicycle branded deck. 

I was thinking if I squeak by with the $15,000 goal my fluff items: T-shirt, Posters, Uncut Sheets would cushion the cost for shipping.  I don't expect to sell a lot of these people mainly want decks not fluff items.  Shipping is a monster and I still don't know all of it, but I was thinking $3.50 per deck for the cost of the deck and packaging + $4 for shipping + $3 for profit and .50 for any unseen costs and that's how I came up with $11 per deck back then. 

Also Don if this Kickstarter succeeds, PM your address and I'll give you 2 decks at my expense.  Your practically the only person who gives constructive criticism. 

Joker of Swords - Lawful Evil.   It's not entirely done I ask for the seals to be on the arms and the sleeves to be dark gold.  Sorta like in the earliest known King of Hearts.  I still think he was the Murdered King not the Suicide King and I would like the Joker to reflect that the Joker killed the King...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:59:02 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Also Don if this Kickstarter succeeds, PM your address and I'll give you 2 decks at my expense.  Your practically the only person who gives constructive criticism.

Don't neglect one very important detail.  The Postal Service is petitioning for, and will probably receive, a rate increase set to go in effect in late January of 2014.

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Don't neglect one very important detail.  The Postal Service is petitioning for, and will probably receive, a rate increase set to go in effect in late January of 2014.

Indeed. As such, you may want to adjust your postage costs by about 5% to account for it.