• "Simul iustus et peccator"
Counterfeit
Creator: Daniel Meadows
Publisher: Magic World
MSRP: $ 24.94
Skill Level: easy to moderate
DVD Run time: 17 min

Type of effect:

"This or That" style effect, where the spectator selects 2 cards from a list of fake movie titles (which are also fake book titles) and it's later revealed that you knew what the spectator would select.

Manufacturer's Write Up:

Six cards. Two free spectator choices. One mental miracle! The name may be COUNTERFEIT but the reactions are REAL!  Counterfeit is a handling of a packet trick from the devious mind of Stephen Tucker, with an adapted presentation by Daniel Meadows.

How accurate is the ad copy?

It's fairly accurate, there were a few things that I didn't agree with, first it says "can be done without a table" and while I am sure that this is true, Daniel didn't give you an example of that. I am sure you could fan six cards for a spectator and then place the discards in a pocket, but I think this trick lends itself better to table magic. Second, it says "no memory work" that's a tall claim, when I think any trick you do requires you to "remember" how the effect goes, but even beyond that once the spectator makes their selections it is up to you to "remember" what to do next. So there is some sleight memory work involved, but nothing to daunting.

What's in the box?

DVD and 6 custom printed cards for your packet trick.

Key points:

Despite the spectator making both choices, you can show that they were successful in selecting the 2 cards that are different! Easy to do! Resets instantly! Works every time!

How are the production values:

The DVD only two vantage points, an explanation view and a performance view. Daniel is standing at a table in front of a green screen.

Is it well made:

If you watch the advertisement Daniel is standing in front of a big sign that says "custom printed Bicycle cards" in addition when he performs the effect on camera - he is using Bicycle cards, but you will not receive Bicycle cards for your effect. These cards are not USPCC branded. They are ok as far as packet trick cards go, but they are a lesser grade stock and finish.

Is it well taught:

Daniel does a good job teaching the routine and the one sleight you need to know for the effect. (elmsley count)

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked):

I liked the fact that Daniel tries to make the effect current by using movie titles that sound similar to movies that would be on the shelves now. That said, it kind of "dates" the effect, which is fine, but it bears noting

Storage? Does it "pack flat?"

Yes, only the six cards are used and those can easily be carried in a close up wallet.

How practical is this in the real world? Does it "play big?"

I think a trick like this has the potential to play big if you can pitch it more of a "mental miracle" and less like a "I knew what you'd pick" kind of effect. There is an element of equivocate and it would be a good idea to somehow disguise that part and enter some deception in so that the spectator forgets that part.

How original is this idea?

As stated in the add copy this is a "Stephen Tucker" marriage of two of his effects. Daniel is only marketing his "adapted presentation" so it's very possible you already own or know a "this n that" style effect already.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58PcgJrED9s
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy