You are Here:
Stars & Spades Re-Launch

Author (Read 1004 times)

Stars & Spades Re-Launch
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »

jaredkhansen

Hey Everyone..

I am re-launching my once failed Stars & Spades Playing Cards (Don't worry.. it looks way better this time).

I am not here to discuss the look of it now.. but rather some reward ideas and / goal amount..

I was wanting to do a Black deck and a White deck from the Expert Playing Card Co.  Their minimum is around 1000 decks. I am gonna be using a sideways tuck case for this as well.

What in your opinion would be a reasonable goal amount (keep in mind kickstarter and amazon take fees off the top (10%) after a successful funding)

Also.. what sort of rewards do you guys like to see.

Thanks for your input.

Jared Hansen
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:23:53 PM by jaredkhansen »

Re: Stars & Spades Re-Launch
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:42 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
wow your last one was so close to being funded!  What a tease eh?

I don't know about goals, but I like original stuff like how stockholm17 does...they had some throw pillows, i think i saw a rubicks cube, i just like maybe one or two things that aren't so expensive.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:59:13 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hey Jared good to see you're coming back with some revamped stars and spades. I think some of the more sought after rewards are, believe it or not, decks of playing cards actually. Haha, seriously that's the ticket. I maintain that most backers are in for 1-4 decks. The campaign numbers tend to reflect that as well with the magic number usually being 2. I think if you're running two LE's of 1000, give or take a hundred or so, decks each reward tiers offering 1 of each, 2 of each, 3 of each would be nice. The good ole Mixy brick is never a bad thing to offer either. It seems like most of the time, when we see large amounts of solo deck tiers when the decks are a set don't get taken very quickly. I imagine you'd want the momentum building as quickly as possible so, maybe leave those to a very few decks.

Things that work with decks of playing cards are fun but not always as fun as the decks themselves. Card clips once you have one or two you don't really need more, poker chips one set will do you, that kind of thing. They may end up costing more money than they bring in, like Tee's can easily do. I have yet to ever want to pick up any drinking glasses either, thought I would toss that in there haha.

I can't give any feedback on what I think your goal should be. That's going to be between you, your printer, and of course your fulfillment center unless you choose to do so yourself. Which I hear is a nightmare.

Ultimately I think it comes down to what works for you, your personality, and the personality of your deck doesn't it? I do know one thing, if you can work the international shipping so it's not such a hit, odds are your campaign will do better. That's not an easy task though, shipping always seems to take a tidy sum.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:58:37 PM »

jaredkhansen

Thanks for all the replies so far.. I will post a new thread as soon as the campaign is live so you guys can have a look. Thanks again.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:11:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for all the replies so far.. I will post a new thread as soon as the campaign is live so you guys can have a look. Thanks again.

There's no need for that.  You can re-edit your first post in this topic for the new release.  We try to keep decks to a single topic in the Plethora to make it easier to find this info in the future.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
I was a backer of the original. Bummer it didn't get funded. The new designs look fantastic!

As for rewards, I personally am tired of seeing coins. I think a shirt or even a hat with the Ace design would be cool.
Broke for cards

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:14:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

You just announced a new deck called "The Architect".  Did you abandon this concept?

I'm noticing a new and refreshing trend in playing card projects.  There are projects out there that are going old-school and offering...decks!  Nothing but decks, too!  Well, they offer uncut sheets as well, but I think you get the idea - simplicity at its finest.  At this point in the game, there's so much bric-a-brac generated by previous card campaigns that having a simple, straightforward project is a pleasure.

It's good that you want to print with Expert.  Contact Legends as well - they can be your fulfillment services company.  I'm not certain if Expert is offering this service as well, but last I checked, they were using another company which has since sought to exit the business.  But bear in mind that my information re Expert isn't up-to-date.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:14:40 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:51:19 PM »

jaredkhansen

Still gonna launch the S&S deck again, just letting the Architect take first launch spot for now :)

Sneak preview from the Jack of Hearts