You are Here:
Making up a story with cards

Author (Read 988 times)

Making up a story with cards
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:26:34 AM »

AdrianSJW

• Newcomer
Hey guys emergency !!!!!!! i am suppose to make up a story using cards before Christmas and i have to perform  it in front of a small bunch of audience  and i cant think of any . I really need help pls

Re: Making up a story with cards
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Make up a story how? I mean, you can make up a story using the face cards and such.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
That easy .. go to youtube and search for contest that require people to tell him a story and see the video reponse and you get alot of ideas (omg i am so smart :D)

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The Devil's Elevator card trick is a great one to make up a story to and it's pretty easy to do as well. If you youtube it you'll be able to find numerous videos on it! Hope it helps  :)
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »

AdrianSJW

• Newcomer
The Devil's Elevator card trick is a great one to make up a story to and it's pretty easy to do as well. If you youtube it you'll be able to find numerous videos on it! Hope it helps  :)
So using this technique and making up a story as i go along works. is that what you mean????

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:26:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The classic Kannibal Kings is a good story trick - not exactly winter-holiday themed, but it's a good story.  There's also a variant on the classic where a card is "bitten" and the missing bite turns up "inside the cannibal's stomach" - you tear open a King and it's between the cards two layers!  I think NY Magic Project has that one as well as a few other shops.  But the classic version isn't hard, though it requires practice to do it well.  Michael Ammar covered it in his "Easy to Master Card Tricks Volume 1" or some such series focused on cards; I forget the name but I think I have it right.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:29:50 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:39:03 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
So using this technique and making up a story as i go along works. is that what you mean? ???

Yeah pretty much. The trick is long enough that you could bring in a story to it. Also its a pretty simple but awesome trick!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I agree with Bags. Use a trick you can learn to do well and more so use your imagination to throw a sick story into it. The story will also make the trick hit harder. Patter is king.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I agree with Bags. Use a trick you can learn to do well and more so use your imagination to throw a sick story into it. The story will also make the trick hit harder. Patter is king.

Patter is DEFINITELY king.  If you did tricks with a stone face and didn't say anything, it would get boring fast.  The patter is part of the entertainment.  Some starting magicians forget this (or never learn it in the first place) and focus just on the technical aspects of their performance and not the theatrical.  David Blaine wouldn't be as famous as he is if it wasn't for his patter and demeanor when performing, and neither would Criss Angel or practically any other magician you can think of.  Penn and Teller...well, Teller is the silent straight man, but without Penn Gillette's patter, it's like drinking warm, flat soda.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:10:42 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/