Author (Read 1839 times)

Banned Permanently from UC
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:26:47 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Having seen so many posts about United Cardists, last week i finally decided to pay their site a visit.  I registered, set up a profile and read a few posts.  I read the instructions for new members and so i posted an introduction message (the same that I posted here because I am lazy and didn't want to retype the whole thing).  It went for approval because as a newbie I can't be trusted not to post hate messages.  No skin off my nose, I was just curious what other forums had to say.

Two days later I got a notice that they would not publish my 'introduction' post because it was off topic?  I introduced myself, told people the general area where I live, that I like playing cards... the normal blah blah stuff right?  So that is off topic.

Today I tried to follow a link to see what UC had to say on the matter and was hit with a wall that said I was permanently banned.  No emails, no reason, no excuse!!  The only thing I can say is that on my current kickstarter promotion I had mentioned that The Discourse was a great forum for card collectors and designers (as well as magicians).

Has anyone else been banned from UC?  Should I have a complex, does my pariah reputation proceed me?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:14:54 AM by ManMadeGames »
Alex Willis
Game Designer

Re: Banned Permanently from UC
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
The level of professionalism astounds me... here is an email communication regarding my banishment from UC:

support@unitedcardists.comTue 4/30/2013 8:24 AM

Your topic had nothing to do with the forum and your website is a
publishing website which has nothing to do with cards. You will not be
allowed back on.

Alex WillisTue 4/30/2013 9:43 AM

The forum was about introducing yourself, and my website is just my business.  I didn't realize that only people with websites dedicated to cards were admitted.  I'm not sure I agree with your statement.  I will contact Michael Ferrante directly to see if this fits with his business plan.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hahaha.

Yeah, you're part of an elite club now.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Lmfao!

pull up a chair mate.  UC is a bunch of trivial superficial bastards.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Maybe it's a good thing? I personally have never been on there. Got all the information I need right here! Sounds a bit "forum-ist" to be honest!
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Seems a bit harsh, at least you still have this forum  ;)

I can't see anyone being banned from Aether for talking about their place of work in their introduction post as long as it was not a blatant attempt at spamming advertisements, even then, there would probably be a warning beforehand.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Lmfao!

pull up a chair mate.  UC is a bunch of trivial superficial bastards.

Kinda mostly just the ownership, though.

I can't see anyone being banned from Aether for talking about their place of work in their introduction post as long as it was not a blatant attempt at spamming advertisements, even then, there would probably be a warning beforehand.

We have two bans here, and three people total that have been banned. That info is public.

Walrus/eggman: Registered multiple accounts, at least a dozen, spammed, pretended to be other people, and contributed nothing to the boards.
Mike/UC Owner: Contributed nothing, harassed members, harassed me, spread lies, and caused drama
Robert Butler: Currently not banned, but was banned for a while when I opened this site for a stupid reason. Hence the unban.

UC has been opened for what, 25% of the time we have been? And it seems like at least once a month someone comes on here and complains about being banned due to personal vendettas or no reason at all.

Anyway, feel free to advertise however you want within your profile, within fitting boards (you can show off game design in our D&D forum), or if you really want to, make 500 posts in the Lolaq where there are no rules.   :karrit:

Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Seems a bit harsh, at least you still have this forum  ;)

Actually I didn't talk about or promote my business, my website was just part of my profile.  I've been surfing the web since 1996 and have never been banned (and sometimes I probably should have been).   ::)
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This is strictly conjecture, but I think it was a back-door way of banning you for promoting us.  Thanks for that promotion, by the way!  Much appreciated.  Either way, who needs the drama, right?

If you REALLY wanted back in, you could attempt getting back in by contacting Mike directly.  It's up to you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:18:21 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
This is strictly conjecture, but I think it was a back-door way of banning you for promoting us.  Thanks for that promotion, by the way!  Much appreciated.  Either way, who needs the drama, right?

If you REALLY wanted back in, you could attempt getting back in by contacting Mike directly.  It's up to you.

I don't have a need for them, I just wanted to see what people were saying about different decks that  I'm interested in.  I contacted Mike, but only to tell him that their policy to ban does not bode well if he hopes to sell poker supplies to a larger audience.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I finally got around to contacting Michael about this situation, and by contact I mean replied to his request to purchase a few gross of the 1616 deck that just finished on KS.  While I have no interest to participate in such a hateful forum, it's the principal of the thing.  Had I been a dick like the guy who developed the 54 to blame deck and ranted at everyone, sure I'd understand, but I follow a standard practice in life: Don't be a Dick. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 08:55:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I finally got around to contacting Michael about this situation, and by contact I mean replied to his request to purchase a few gross of the 1616 deck that just finished on KS.  While I have no interest to participate in such a hateful forum, it's the principal of the thing.  Had I been a dick like the guy who developed the 54 to blame deck and ranted at everyone, sure I'd understand, but I follow a standard practice in life: Don't be a Dick.

But you haven't said what the end result was...  Don't leave us in suspense!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
So in fact it was Michael himself who banned me and my content (an introduction).  None of his 'administrator' emails gave a name.  I expressed that i felt that was rather unprofessional.  He said I could rejoin the forum if I was serious about it.   :mindf-ck:  And that the sight was for serious people.  I told him there was no need to unban me bacause putting up an IP block is pointless on a 'public' forum.  I could come in a hundred different ways through as many email accounts as I want to bother creating.  I told him I have no interest in participating on his forum.  He made some snide comments regarding my intelligence, coherence and sense of humor... my guess is that he is a little too stressed out and needs to relax a bit. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So in fact it was Michael himself who banned me and my content (an introduction).  None of his 'administrator' emails gave a name.  I expressed that i felt that was rather unprofessional.  He said I could rejoin the forum if I was serious about it.   :mindf-ck:  And that the sight was for serious people.  I told him there was no need to unban me bacause putting up an IP block is pointless on a 'public' forum.  I could come in a hundred different ways through as many email accounts as I want to bother creating.  I told him I have no interest in participating on his forum.  He made some snide comments regarding my intelligence, coherence and sense of humor... my guess is that he is a little too stressed out and needs to relax a bit.

I spoke with him once.  He seemed like an OK guy, though perhaps a little on the quick-tempered side.

If you feel your projects will do just fine without promoting them in his forum, then do what you feel is right and leave it alone.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
His site is for serious people? LOL... over 1/10 posts are in one spam thread.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular