NEW DECK- Floral Deck from Aloys
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Floral Deck- This is the next deck from Aloys, the maker of the Blue Tune deck!
----------------
Release Date: Late November or Early December
Where: Unknown
-2500 Red decks Printed and 500 Black decks printed

Floral Deck has the following features:
*100% custom artwork
* Bicycle stock and Linoid Finish
* Metallic Ink on the Tuck Box, Back Design and Face Cards
* Custom tuck seal
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:02:13 PM by Evan »

Re: NEW DECK- Flower Deck from Aloys
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
It's Floral .. not flower

Here's the tuck
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
"500 decks printed and only 101 decks will be sold (everyone is limited to 2 Decks)"

isn't this BS? I thought the minimum run for decks was 2500. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way Aloys could only print 500 decks unless he just ignored the other 2000. Even if the 500 deck run is legit, only selling 101 of these decks (or even all 500, if they eventually do get sold) leaves a very bad taste in my mouth because it's essentially creating an artificial rarity to drive up the value of the deck. It doesn't really seem like a great business model either, limiting a deck this much especially when there are currently no other decks available through Aloys as far as I know.

Regardless, I'm definitely interested in this deck since I absolutely love the Blue Tune deck. Hopefully I can get my hands on a couple no matter how rare they end up being. The design looks pretty interesting so far and I have some high hopes for how it turns out.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
There are 3000 decks total... 2500 red.. and 500 black.

here's the post I made on FB

"My friends over at Aloys Design Studio will soon be releasing their second deck design… The Floral Decks. These decks will come in 2 colors with a total of 2500 red decks printed, and only 500 black decks. Only 101 Black decks will be released for sale (limited to 2 per person)

The Floral Decks will have the following features:
 *100% custom artwork ( more than 1800 hours spent on the design )
 *Bicycle stock & Linoid Finish
 *Metallic ink on Tuckbox, backs, and faces
 *Thick tuck paper
 *Custom deck seal

They will also be releasing some Eco Floral Card Clips ( 80 total )

They’ll be launching their website next week with more info. If you’d like to order the Black Floral deck, you’ll be able to shoot them an e-mail through their site to make a request.

If you have any questions, you can send an e-mail to their staff. ( they will reply within 24 hours ) jessica93471@yahoo.com.my
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:43:09 PM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: NEW DECK- Floral Deck from Aloys
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I just got info that the black deck will be printed separately late this year or early next year.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran

"My friends over at Aloys Design Studio will soon be releasing their second deck design… The Floral Decks. These decks will come in 2 colors with a total of 2500 red decks printed, and only 500 black decks. Only 101 Black decks will be released for sale (limited to 2 per person)

*Thick tuck paper
 *Custom deck seal

They’ll be launching their website next week with more info. If you’d like to order the Black Flower deck, you’ll be able to shoot them an e-mail through their site to make a request.

If you have any questions, you can send an e-mail to their staff. ( they will reply within 24 hours ) jessica93471@yahoo.com.my

ah that makes much more sense. well hopefully I can get at least 1 of the black decks if it's not priced too high. definitely looking forward to this deck

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:29:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Floral Deck- This is the next deck from Aloys, the maker of the Blue Tune deck!
----------------
Release Date: Late November or Early December
Where: Unknown

Put these two bits of information together, and the answer to "Where?" is "Malaysia", home of the .my top-level domain.

"500 decks printed and only 101 decks will be sold (everyone is limited to 2 Decks)"

isn't this BS? I thought the minimum run for decks was 2500. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way Aloys could only print 500 decks unless he just ignored the other 2000. Even if the 500 deck run is legit, only selling 101 of these decks (or even all 500, if they eventually do get sold) leaves a very bad taste in my mouth because it's essentially creating an artificial rarity to drive up the value of the deck. It doesn't really seem like a great business model either, limiting a deck this much especially when there are currently no other decks available through Aloys as far as I know.

Regardless, I'm definitely interested in this deck since I absolutely love the Blue Tune deck. Hopefully I can get my hands on a couple no matter how rare they end up being. The design looks pretty interesting so far and I have some high hopes for how it turns out.

Sr15, it's entirely possible that this deck was being designed for a magician who wanted to reserve most of the black ones for his personal use.  And even if that isn't the case, there's still just 101 decks going into circulation.  If more get released, no biggie - the market value will go down because they're not as hard to obtain as they once were.

Extreme rarity does not always automatically equal valuable.  A simple example: compare the Bicycle Black Ghost 1st Edition with the Black Crown Deck and the Bicycle Gold Seal New Fan Back.  Each one of these decks were made in a print run of exactly the same size: 5,000.  If you were looking to buy them from a fellow trader, however, the first deck goes for around $100, give or take, the second is perhaps $20 and the last one is still selling at nearly the original retail.

One could argue, based on your perspective, that ALL limited-edition decks are unfair because there's only so many of them to go around.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 01:55:16 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
Sr15, it's entirely possible that this deck was being designed for a magician who wanted to reserve most of the black ones for his personal use.  And even if that isn't the case, there's still just 101 decks going into circulation.  If more get released, no biggie - the market value will go down because they're not as hard to obtain as they once were.

I suppose that could be possible, but I don't think it would be the case in this scenario. I agree on the second point, although the only reason I could possibly see to hold out on decks in this scenario would be to have the price as high as possible for each release. Not exactly a bad business model, although it might piss off some people who got the decks early only to see the price and rarity dropped later. Just to clarify, I made that post when I thought the entire run of this deck would be 101 decks out of 500 due to the original wording of the OP, not just a special edition of the deck being 101/500.

Extreme rarity does not always automatically equal valuable.  A simple example: compare the Bicycle Black Ghost 1st Edition with the Black Crown Deck and the Bicycle Gold Seal New Fan Back.  Each one of these decks were made in a print run of exactly the same size: 5,000.  If you were looking to buy them from a fellow trader, however, the first deck goes for around $100, give or take, the second is perhaps $20 and the last one is still selling at nearly the original retail.

I mean I'm an economics major so you aren't telling me anything that I don't already know. There is obviously a difference between a print run of 5,000 and a print run of 500, especially when there are only 101 being released. Look at the pricing on the special editions of the Aurum deck. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that Aloys saw the price at which the 75 deck edition of Aurum was selling at and would try to do something similar by releasing only a small number of decks.

One could argue, based on your perspective, that ALL limited-edition decks are unfair because there's only so many of them to go around.

I never said it was unfair. I just said that a) it's not the best business model, especially when done by companies without a big stock of unlimited run decks like T11 or E, and b) it leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it ends up being a negative for collectors.

Again, keep in mind that I made my original post based on the assumption that the 500 was the entire run of the deck and not just one edition. I still don't necessarily like the idea of severely limiting decks because in general it artificially drives up value, no matter how many anecdotal situations you bring up. Obviously it doesn't drive up the value as much anymore given the trend for everyone and their mother to put out a limited edition deck run these days, but just like a 2,500/5,000 deck run used to have a deck be considered rare, companies may decide to limit deck runs to an even greater degree to spark that "rare" appeal for collectors. I used the example of the Aurum deck earlier, although that was more from a manufacturing circumstance than any deliberate action taken by Encarded, but it is entirely possible and even likely that we see deck runs become more and more limited as numbers that used to be considered rare become common or even an industry standard. As I said, I only see this as being a negative for deck collectors as a whole.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 02:51:37 AM »

Aloys

• True Member

• Facebook:

*Thick tuck paper
 *Custom deck seal

They’ll be launching their website next week with more info. If you’d like to order the Black Flower deck, you’ll be able to shoot them an e-mail through their site to make a request.

ah that makes much more sense. well hopefully I can get at least 1 of the black decks if it's not priced too high. definitely looking forward to this deck

Thank you for your support, please rest assured,  Not expensive.
Black Flowar Deck :$11.95 / Deck
A total of 101 decks will released , ( A limit 2 deck for each order)
If you buy blue tune deck in 7/13/2012  you will get a Eco Floral Card Clips for you order! FREE!
Thank you for your support!
Aloys!

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 02:55:10 AM »

Aloys

• True Member

• Facebook:

*Thick tuck paper
 *Custom deck seal

They’ll be launching their website next week with more info. If you’d like to order the Black Floral deck, you’ll be able to shoot them an e-mail through their site to make a request.

Thank you my friend!

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 03:01:17 AM »

Aloys

• True Member

• Facebook:
I'm sorry ,I can't print too much Black Deck.
I hope everyone can also like red deck, it also is very beautiful!
Red deck will be a lower price, a small amount of sales.
Red deck would complete the print in December.
If you have any questions, please send email tell me.
Thank you
Aloys!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 03:07:03 AM »

Aloys

• True Member

• Facebook:
In order to make the feel better, I use the Bicycle Stock and LINOID FINISH and metal ink !
I hope you can like this deck, yolanda elaborate design.
Thank you
Aloys!

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 03:16:45 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Ok a couple things, one please stop posting like 5 times in a row. Put it all in one. It starts to seem very spammy. Also I am calling bull shit on LINOID finish. As Don has mentioned many times the 2 finishes are air cushion and magic finish. You can have them put whatever name on it but those are the 2.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 05:41:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I suppose that could be possible, but I don't think it would be the case in this scenario. I agree on the second point, although the only reason I could possibly see to hold out on decks in this scenario would be to have the price as high as possible for each release. Not exactly a bad business model, although it might piss off some people who got the decks early only to see the price and rarity dropped later. Just to clarify, I made that post when I thought the entire run of this deck would be 101 decks out of 500 due to the original wording of the OP, not just a special edition of the deck being 101/500.

I mean I'm an economics major so you aren't telling me anything that I don't already know. There is obviously a difference between a print run of 5,000 and a print run of 500, especially when there are only 101 being released. Look at the pricing on the special editions of the Aurum deck. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that Aloys saw the price at which the 75 deck edition of Aurum was selling at and would try to do something similar by releasing only a small number of decks.

I never said it was unfair. I just said that a) it's not the best business model, especially when done by companies without a big stock of unlimited run decks like T11 or E, and b) it leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it ends up being a negative for collectors.

Again, keep in mind that I made my original post based on the assumption that the 500 was the entire run of the deck and not just one edition. I still don't necessarily like the idea of severely limiting decks because in general it artificially drives up value, no matter how many anecdotal situations you bring up. Obviously it doesn't drive up the value as much anymore given the trend for everyone and their mother to put out a limited edition deck run these days, but just like a 2,500/5,000 deck run used to have a deck be considered rare, companies may decide to limit deck runs to an even greater degree to spark that "rare" appeal for collectors. I used the example of the Aurum deck earlier, although that was more from a manufacturing circumstance than any deliberate action taken by Encarded, but it is entirely possible and even likely that we see deck runs become more and more limited as numbers that used to be considered rare become common or even an industry standard. As I said, I only see this as being a negative for deck collectors as a whole.

Just consider what I wrote as playing devil's advocate.

As an econ major, you also know that the market will only bear so much of that type of behavior before it starts to react negatively.  Short supply/high demand only works up to the point that the consumer population doesn't get frustrated enough to stop purchasing from one supplier and seek products from other suppliers, especially when it's a luxury item in the first place.  If I tried to by a Porsche but kept missing out on the new models due to them being limited editions that rapidly sell out, I'd bet that some of the less-rare Ferraris or BMWs would start to look awfully attractive...

In order to make the feel better, I use the Bicycle Stock and LINOID FINISH and metal ink !
Thank you
Aloys!

Ok a couple things, one please stop posting like 5 times in a row. Put it all in one. It starts to seem very spammy. Also I am calling bull shit on LINOID finish. As Don has mentioned many times the 2 finishes are air cushion and magic finish. You can have them put whatever name on it but those are the 2.

Aloys, John raises a valid point - it's against forum rules to make multiple posts in a row as you have done.  Please, for the future, make a single post, adding edits to it if you want to post something else before someone replies, unless your post is several hours old at the time.

John, even if this was a deck with Linoid Finish - which no longer exists - it would handle like crap with the metallic inks, just like many of the early Diavoli decks.  The default finish for any custom deck now is Magic Finish - the standard finish has to be requested.  Further, it's practically a given that any deck using metallic inks these days uses Magic Finish to counteract the impact of the inks on the cards' performance.

But having said all of that, USPC does allow quite a lot of wiggle room in terms of what someone calls their finish on their deck - even they don't publicly admit that there's only the two finishes to choose from.  They still use terms like Linoid, Air Cushion and Cambric to refer to a deck with embossed paper and a standard finish, and Smooth and Ivory to refer to a deck without embossing and a standard finish.  To further muddy the waters, they have allowed on numerous occasions the use of these standard names on a deck with Magic Finish.

In the end, it's all marketing and "name-calling"!  The differing finish names allows for their brands to be thought of as more distinct from each other than they actually are, and some people will psychologically buy into this, especially when each deck handles just a little differently for reasons having nothing at all to do with finish.  They feel no good reason exists for not allowing their clients to do the same thing on their custom orders.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:44:11 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 06:33:19 AM »

Aloys

• True Member

• Facebook:

Just consider what I wrote as playing devil's advocate.

As an econ major, you also know that the market will only bear so much of that type of behavior before it starts to react negatively.  Short supply/high demand only works up to the point that the consumer population doesn't get frustrated enough to stop purchasing from one supplier and seek products from other suppliers, especially when it's a luxury item in the first place.  If I tried to by a Porsche but kept missing out on the new models due to them being limited editions that rapidly sell out, I'd bet that some of the less-rare Ferraris or BMWs would start to look awfully attractive...

Thank you
Aloys!

Aloys, John raises a valid point - it's against forum rules to make multiple posts in a row as you have done.  Please, for the future, make a single post, adding edits to it if you want to post something else before someone replies, unless your post is several hours old at the time.

John, even if this was a deck with Linoid Finish - which no longer exists - it would handle like crap with the metallic inks, just like many of the early Diavoli decks.  The default finish for any custom deck now is Magic Finish - the standard finish has to be requested.  Further, it's practically a given that any deck using metallic inks these days uses Magic Finish to counteract the impact of the inks on the cards' performance.

But having said all of that, USPC does allow quite a lot of wiggle room in terms of what someone calls their finish on their deck - even they don't publicly admit that there's only the two finishes to choose from.  They still use terms like Linoid, Air Cushion and Cambric to refer to a deck with embossed paper and a standard finish, and Smooth and Ivory to refer to a deck without embossing and a standard finish.  To further muddy the waters, they have allowed on numerous occasions the use of these standard names on a deck with Magic Finish.

In the end, it's all marketing and "name-calling"!  The differing finish names allows for their brands to be thought of as more distinct from each other than they actually are, and some people will psychologically buy into this, especially when each deck handles just a little differently for reasons having nothing at all to do with finish.  They feel no good reason exists for not allowing their clients to do the same thing on their custom orders.

I am sorry for the violation of forum rules, please forgive.
Aloys

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Don, I really dont care about the deck, I just get upset cause with each of his decks he post 15 times in a row about them and says he has a finish you said did not exist. I dont want to deal with the bull shit.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 11:53:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, I really dont care about the deck, I just get upset cause with each of his decks he post 15 times in a row about them and says he has a finish you said did not exist. I dont want to deal with the bull shit.

Whoa, Tex - don't take things personally, there's no harm meant.

BTW: Aloys' gender is listed as female - she and hers instead of he and his...

I get what you're saying about the bogus laminate name, but it is any worse than "Premium 909 Finish" or "Apocalyptic Finish"?  We've seen those before, and I'm sure there's crazier names out there that USPC allows.

Simply put, USPC doesn't want the world to know that today there's very little differentiation between their brands.  We know what finishes and stocks they have, and that should be enough for us.  The card folks can advertise whatever they please - using dumbass finish names just shows a degree of ignorance on the seller's part of the intelligence of the potential customers she's selling to.

OK, bro?

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
sorry i never checked her gender and naturally assume its a him until told different. At least with those finishes its not someone saying they are bringing back an old finish.
Quote from: Aloys on Today at 02:07:03 AM
Thank you
Aloys!

Saying the cards will feel better using Linoid finish. Advertising bringing back a finish we know does not exist any more. the other decks had a name they chose that went with the deck.
Apocalyptic Finish - that had to deal with the theme correct?

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
sorry i never checked her gender and naturally assume its a him until told different. At least with those finishes its not someone saying they are bringing back an old finish.
Quote from: Aloys on Today at 02:07:03 AM
Thank you
Aloys!

Saying the cards will feel better using Linoid finish. Advertising bringing back a finish we know does not exist any more. the other decks had a name they chose that went with the deck.
Apocalyptic Finish - that had to deal with the theme correct?

As I said - she's underestimating the intelligence of a hefty portion of her customer base.  Then again, I'm sure there are enough people out here who would not only claim that Linoid is real because they use it on the Tally Ho decks, but that you can really tell the difference.  That you can blame on USPC as well as consumer gullibility!

"Apocalyptic Finish" was the name used by Diamond Jim on his Doomsday decks.  There were three varieties, I think.

Y'know, if she does use what USPC uses for Linoid, that being their standard finish, and she uses metallic inks on the cards, the performance is really gonna suck wind.  Considering that Magic Finish is the new default in the Custom Division, that's likely what will really be on the deck.

It's a shame she didn't see the benefit in marketing it that way instead of making claims to the contrary - it would have boosted consumer confidence in the performance considerably.  As it stands now though, the smart consumer doesn't truly know the real finish without actually buying the cards, and will probably stay away in decent numbers from this and future Aloys decks, at least until the reviews come in - by which time, the decks will probably be sold out, further discouraging smart consumers.

The worst retail business faux pas you could ever make is not knowing your customers, and worse, underestimating them.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
The worst retail business faux pas you could ever make is not knowing your customers, and worse, underestimating them.
...then charging 11.95 for a standard deck.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
--double post--

is there a way to delete this?

Not really.  Alex has the power, but he wields it very sparingly.

Tell me about it...  :))

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It's a fully custom deck, but $11.95 is still overpriced.

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
not nearly as bad as 29.95 for a custom tuck box though. Don't get me wrong, I love the decks encarded has put out, but 11.95 for a very limited deck isn't exactly outrageous. That said, I will refer to my posts earlier in the thread about why I don't really like the idea in general, but given the circumstances I don't there's enough reason to get too up in arms about it.

hopefully "fully custom" doesn't just mean a recoloring of the court cards either. I think the blue court cards on the blue tune deck were pretty cool but I almost always prefer more customization than less. 11.95 per deck should mean full customization imo

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 03:51:59 AM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Am I the only person who noticed they are releasing Eco card Clips? I'm wondering if these are THEE Eco Card Clips by Conjuring Creations which have given many of us a great deal of problems.
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Am I the only person who noticed they are releasing Eco card Clips? I'm wondering if these are THEE Eco Card Clips by Conjuring Creations which have given many of us a great deal of problems.
I believe these are the Eco Clips from Conjuring Creations. CC is coming back.  :-\