Author (Read 1812 times)

Vegas Playing Cards (KS)
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Vegas Playing Cards

A deck of playing cards with exciting artwork and beautiful handling for magicians and cardists. But we need money to start printing.

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Vegas Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Only a picture of the back. And not a good picture at that. At least make the picture look sort of like a card. I just don't understand how people can put up projects like this. If they looked at any other projects, they would know this isn't going to work. Terrible planning and project.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

"The cards will be printed by the US Playing Card Company so the quality of the deck will be unquestionable."

£ 300 seems a bit low for a USPCC deck.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:56:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This name sounds too familiar.  I think that he tried once before to make a deck project on KS, but under a different account.

• 300 GBP is insanely too low for a USPC-made deck, though he does say this is for "initial starter money".  The problem there is that 300 GBP won't start a moped at USPC, never mind a pack of custom cards!  I'm not even sure that's enough for anything more than a few proof sheets or perhaps a prototype deck, which you won't get anyway if you haven't paid for the full job up front.  USPC does not extend credit unless they actually owe you money, in which case it's not really credit in the first place, is it?
  • His story is near totally devoid of images of the cards he's planning to make, despite his declaration that he's working with "a brilliant marketing team" - albeit an unnamed marketing team...
  • Since when is USPC's quality "unquestionable"?  I've raised many questions about it before!
  • His website, typed without the "www." at the front, leads to a GoDaddy page that indicates the domain is presently "parked for FREE"!  I see; it must be that crack marketing battalion he mentioned...
  • The website's "About" section mentions that he had a tour this past summer which "finishes...at the Astor Theater in Deal on 24th July 2014."  OK - has it been that long since the site was updated?  Hey, act fast!  "There are still tickets available for the showing in London on the 5th July 2014!"  Offer expires while you wait!
  • I especially like the ads on his site for both custom computer servers in Aberdeen, stage shows at Lincoln Center in New York, Chromecast (watch Google on your TV!) AND dating services to meet Chinese, Arab and Thai women!  At least he doesn't appear to discriminate...

ANY ONE OF THESE would qualify as a red flag for a KS deck project!!!  All of these together get it promoted to "certified train wreck in the making"!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:18:31 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I have a feeling that I saw these pips on some vector stock site. He added neon effect to them and (possibly) created the inscription. For those who hasn't understood - these pips and the inscription are the only custom things in this deck. I think this is more for cardists and magicians.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
The Vegas logo isn't from this guy either (well unless he's the one that designed it back in 2007). This Vegas logo ambigram has been around for a while.
In fact, the vector is readily available anywhere on the internet.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 05:21:28 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Found this youtube video of the creator of this,  uuuuhhhhh, project...  I was less than impressed.  ::)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVaddxmylw
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »

ryzellon

• Newcomer
This name sounds too familiar.  I think that he tried once before to make a deck project on KS, but under a different account.

You're probably thinking of Benji Taylor, creator of the ICON deck.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Found this youtube video of the creator of this,  uuuuhhhhh, project...  I was less than impressed.  ::)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVaddxmylw

Only got through the first two minutes before the audio quality drove me away.  I think he shot it on an old VHS camcorder or something with similarly bad wide-area microphones attached to the camera.

The "trick" he was doing is nothing anyone couldn't do with a good pack of marked cards.  In fact, it's the WORST use of a marked deck there is; in essence, it's "Pick a card - put it back - is THIS your card?"  Mental as a doorknob.  No better than a kid using a stripper deck for the first time and simply yanking the card out of the middle of the pack for the reveal.  I'm curious how long it took for people to catch on.

Nope.  There was a young British kid who tried getting a deck made on KS and it was a dead-simple design and terrifically too small of a goal for the project to succeed unless he exceeded it by a few orders of magnitude.  But this guy appears like he's approaching adulthood, so maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:27:39 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »

ryzellon

• Newcomer

Nope.  There was a young British kid who tried getting a deck made on KS and it was a dead-simple design and terrifically too small of a goal for the project to succeed unless he exceeded it by a few orders of magnitude.  But this guy appears like he's approaching adulthood, so maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Let me clarify: when you say you think "he tried once before," you're probably thinking of Benji Taylor, creator of the ICON deck. That's the young British kid. Benji first tried Kickstarting some trilogy project. He then deleted the account when that campaign failed, tried one re-print deck before he launched his ICON deck successfully.

This Benjy appears to be someone else altogether.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 04:42:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Let me clarify: when you say you think "he tried once before," you're probably thinking of Benji Taylor, creator of the ICON deck. That's the young British kid. Benji first tried Kickstarting some trilogy project. He then deleted the account when that campaign failed, tried one re-print deck before he launched his ICON deck successfully.

This Benjy appears to be someone else altogether.

You might be right.  When you mentioned ICON, I was thinking of LoTrek's new project.

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 10:11:36 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Relaunched.

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's the same wet, sticky mess as before, it seems.  Borrowed art (what little there is), no visible court cards, indices way too far from the corners to be of any good use and a goal that's well underfunded for even a modest 2,500-deck print run with USPC.

Pass, with big red flags waving in the wind.