You are Here:
BRuT by Uusi

Author (Read 8927 times)

Re: BRuT by Uusi
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »

Mr.parangot

• True Member
and its applied by hand, not sprayed. seems to be a neat piece of a handcrafted deck

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Yeah i'm curious to see what the copper looks like.  In December I'm supposed to get the arcana gilded decks which are supposedly using palladium.  Don't know too much about palladium :)

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeah i'm curious to see what the copper looks like.  In December I'm supposed to get the arcana gilded decks which are supposedly using palladium.  Don't know too much about palladium :)

Palladium is a rare, silver-white metal in the platinum family, the least-dense of that family and has the lowest melting point.  Like platinum, its most popular use is as a component in catalytic converters for chemically altering harmful gasses into more environmentally-friendly ones.  Its second-most popular use is in electronics, where it's used by itself or alloyed with silver or nickel for electrodes and electrode plating.  It is only recently being used more frequently in jewelry due to recent price increases in gold and platinum and technological advances in casting the metal.  Nearly all the world's supply comes from two nations, Russia (44%) and South Africa (40%), while the US and Canada nearly equally produce a combined total of about 11% of the world's supply.

Below is an image of a palladium crystal 1.0 by 0.5 cm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:27:30 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I didn't know Death liked to wear pantyhose. 

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 11:55:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I didn't know Death liked to wear pantyhose.

Stockings and cape were de rigueur for the well-dressed man (and wraith) a few centuries ago in Europe...

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Uusi has copper guilded Pagan decks as well which are still available on their website

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 07:37:18 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
I've been looking into gilding some decks myself just to see how they come out...it's not TOO expensive a hobby to get into, especially if you're ordering imitation gold/silver as opposed to the real stuff.  Figured I would practice a couple on some cheap Walgreens/walmart decks and then if I get good, I'll put some of the real stuff on the decks I like the most.  From what I've read up on so far, it isn't too labor intensive either.

So, Uusi is charging the same for their copper and gold gilded decks...however a book (25 sheets) of 24k gold is apx. 50 bux against the same quantity of copper which is only 10.  I guess when you're creating them that exclusively you can charge more so I won't complain.  Not to mention they are putting more work into those decks.  Still, the prospect of gilding my own decks is probably enough to convince me to refrain from ever purchasing another gilded deck.

Has anyone here attempted to leaf-gild some decks?  How did it go?

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've been looking into gilding some decks myself just to see how they come out...it's not TOO expensive a hobby to get into, especially if you're ordering imitation gold/silver as opposed to the real stuff.  Figured I would practice a couple on some cheap Walgreens/walmart decks and then if I get good, I'll put some of the real stuff on the decks I like the most.  From what I've read up on so far, it isn't too labor intensive either.

So, Uusi is charging the same for their copper and gold gilded decks...however a book (25 sheets) of 24k gold is apx. 50 bux against the same quantity of copper which is only 10.  I guess when you're creating them that exclusively you can charge more so I won't complain.  Not to mention they are putting more work into those decks.  Still, the prospect of gilding my own decks is probably enough to convince me to refrain from ever purchasing another gilded deck.

Has anyone here attempted to leaf-gild some decks?  How did it go?

Gilding is not simply a skill - it's an art.  I've never attempted it myself, but there's so many ways it can go wrong.  If it's even slightly like the process of "painting" the edge of a deck, it's easy to do poorly, a lot less easy to do well.  I've used a marker to color the edges of a black deck black - it's messy, the ink will transfer for a while and the deck's performance takes a hit.  Done well, it looks great.  Done poorly, it looks like crap.  Doing it to a white-edged deck is NOT recommended, because the odds of it looking like crap are many times greater.

I can only imagine how many decks Uusi went through before they got the gilding process down so well, they were able to offer it commercially.  And even with that practice, the quantities are limited not just because "limited is better," but because it's not an easy thing to do.  They charge what they charge not simply because of the cost of the materials, but because the entire process isn't easy.  They're likely charging the same for copper and gold decks because they're using the lower cost of the copper to subsidize the higher cost of the gold in the very small number of decks they offer with this process.

Painted gilding - using a liquid paint instead of metallic leaf - isn't a walk in the park, either.  That's the type of gilding USPC offers, and they won't do it unless you're making a huge order of non-gilded decks.  They STILL have to apply the gilding by hand.  But the painted gilding won't hold up as well over time and use and won't look as good.

I think this sums it up nicely: if gilding was cheap and easy, there'd be a lot more gilded decks out there.  If you're going to attempt it, make sure you get the right glue and use the cheapest metal leaf you can find - or make your own, if you want to pound some aluminum foil with a large mallet for a while...  Don't use the good stuff until you know you have the process down and can do it well.

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 03:51:08 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

I have to agree with Don on this. The labor has more to do with the price than the material. Think about it this way. It shouldn't take more than 2 sheets per deck, so the gold would be about $4 per deck, and the copper would be about $0.80 per deck. That's not a huge difference when your charging $90 for the gilding.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 06:04:23 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
fair enough...

I'm still confident I can learn it myself and save money on labor :)  I'll post some pictures after my first feeble attempts.

To get back on topic though, this is shaping up to be another uusi labor of love.  Makes me wish I was around at the beginning of the other projects.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:14:37 AM by EvanEssence »

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 02:08:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
fair enough...

I'm still confident I can learn it myself and save money on labor :)  I'll post some pictures after my first feeble attempts.

To get back on topic though, this is shaping up to be another uusi labor of love.  Makes me wish I was around at the beginning of the other projects.

Well, the list of playing card works by Uusi is still manageably short.  Most of the decks are in circulation and not too difficult to obtain, the major exceptions being the first deck (Blue Blood).

Complete list, in chrono order.  * indicates unlimited edition deck; doesn't include gilded decks:
Blue Blood
Bohemia (red)
Bohemia (blue)*
Royal Optik (black)
Royal Optik (red)*
Blueblood Redux
Pagan (dark)
Pagan (light)*
Hotcakes (black)
Hotcakes (red)*
Classic (red)
Classic (blue)*
BRuT Poker
BRuT Tarot*

Total of eight deck design "families" - seven if you count Blueblood Redux as part of Blue Blood.

The unlimited decks are still "sort of limited" in that there's been only one print run, in some cases shorter than the LE print run.  But the unlimited decks MAY be reprinted at some future time, while the LE decks will never be reprinted.  Uusi reserves the option to reprint unlimited decks - hence, that's why they're unlimited.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:11:51 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2015, 05:23:54 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
fair enough...

Where do you learn how to gild the deck?

Back for more

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 06:15:29 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
books, online resources, trial and error...we'll see how it goes :)

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2015, 04:14:04 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I bought Metal Leaf Kits and try it, and It was a complete failure...
I don't think its easy, now I can appreciate more what UUSI is doing.
Back for more

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
final hours coming up...what's everyone getting?

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 11:29:30 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
I'm really considering dropping my gilded box & deck pledge (275) for just the gilded deck (165). Somebody convince me that the gilded box is worth $110. I mean, it looks fucking awesome, but that $110 could be spent towards getting more decks...

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 12:48:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm really considering dropping my gilded box & deck pledge (275) for just the gilded deck (165). Somebody convince me that the gilded box is worth $110. I mean, it looks fucking awesome, but that $110 could be spent towards getting more decks...

Dude, have you ever seen one of Peter Dunham's wooden creations?  They're masterfully done.  We're not talking about IKEA specials here - we're talking legit, high-end, furniture-grade pieces of art.  I own one of their gorgeous redwood swivel cases, made from the planks of dismantled antique wooden water towers that are over 100 years old!  The wood itself is older than that by far, from trees that are at least 300 years old.  The boxes alone often cost twice as much as what they ask for them in a Kickstarter project, if not more.

Have you ever owned ANYTHING that was three centuries in the making?  :))  Let me know if you drop that pledge - I might have some mad money lying around!

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 05:09:45 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Double,

You could downgrade and still get the wood case for that 175 pledge...you'll just be getting a copper poker deck instead of a gold tarot deck. 

So, since day one I have checked at least once a day for someone to drop a gold poker deck but noone has budged.  I have been on the copper poker deck for a while and I'm hoping someone backs out last minute on a gold poker deck so i can snatch it.

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
well, i kept my gold tarot + box pledge. added some decks too. dropped more on this campaign than like the last 6 playing card campaigns I pledged to. But I think it'll be worth it