Retro Card Box Design

Author (Read 1527 times)

Retro Card Box Design
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I am hesitant to post this here as I didn't get much feedback on my previous project but I figured I'd post it anyway. If you can give your opinion on the artwork and how I can make it more retro I would appreciate it.

Btw I want to change the font as I do not think it fits the old product packaging that I am going for.

Re: Retro Card Box Design
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »

vixentorgames

I am really glad you're bringing back this deck. I hope the redesign turns it up to 11.

For this tuck, I think I get where you're going, but this does not work for me. It's all washed out, so I have trouble seeing the design. And it's, like, super green.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Scott,

I'm glad to see you're coming back with the Monster Deck!

If you want to go retro, I would suggest giving the Tuck Box a retro monster movie poster look. It could look sweet if done right. Here's a few examples I saw on Google images that have a vibe that work well with your Deck's theme. Instead of the muted colors, I think going with more of a Technicolor feel for the Tuck and Cards could benefit the theme.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:25:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I am hesitant to post this here as I didn't get much feedback on my previous project but I figured I'd post it anyway. If you can give your opinion on the artwork and how I can make it more retro I would appreciate it.

Btw I want to change the font as I do not think it fits the old product packaging that I am going for.

If you happen to have a pack of the Erdnaseum Bees lying around, look at the box and the extra card.  That extra card is modeled to look like the wrapper found on decks in the day.

As far as the color you have on this tuck, perhaps you should check into what's going on at A Cellar of Fine Vintages.

Consider doing a proper slipcover case - those were AWESOME and very popular in the first few decades of the 20th century.  It would be a matter of finding a box maker willing to take the job, since USPC stopped making those cases some time ago, I'd imagine.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hi Scott,

I agree with Randy; the deck will look great with the color palette from the examples he gave. Almost all the posters from that time are lush in color, warm in tone, and high in contrast.

Also, I know it's going to take longer, but have you and Carlos considered having the artwork colored in by hand? Carlos' art for the deck is amazing, but you'll achieve more of a retro vibe if all the coloring was done by hand.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for all your feedback. I think the coloring of this deck has been the hardest part. I feel like it either makes or breaks a project sometimes when the artwork is good.  I wanted to go with something clean so I picked only a few colors. I thought the green fit the retro feel.

Carlos is going to be working on some changes today to update the box. The cards may take longer. I'll share the progress here and hopefully it will all come together.

Don, do you have examples of a deck that uses the slipcover?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:34:22 PM by S. Carey »

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:35:51 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey Scott,

I would have to say Randy's post is spot on! Looking forward to seeing the updates.....Good Luck!

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 03:38:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Don, do you have examples of a deck that uses the slipcover?

wopc.co.uk has plenty of examples.  The famous "New Era" deck came in a slipcover case.  Much of the premium decks that came out circa 1890s-1930s came in the fancy slipcases.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks Don. I will take a look at that.

Attached is a reworking of some of the coloring. Not hand painted like Emmanuel suggested but more vibrant and closer to the old movie poster vibe. Let me know your thoughts!  Thanks.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:29:19 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Scott,

I think the top right version is the strongest, and boldest, of the four. I couldn't resist taking that version and playing around with it to give an idea what I was picturing with a monster movie poster style. It's rough!

thanks, Randy

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
I agree with Randy, top right looks best. And his even more colourful version also works great.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Suggestion... take Randy's version and run with it. The nicest so far, and a great fit.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:00:07 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hey Scott,

I think the top right version is the strongest, and boldest, of the four. I couldn't resist taking that version and playing around with it to give an idea what I was picturing with a monster movie poster style. It's rough!

thanks, Randy

Awesome! Thanks a lot! It means a lot to me that you spent time on this yourself. I owe you big time.

I see what you are saying now with the colors. I also really like the textured background. It definitely shows a lot more depth than just a flat color. I also dig the beveling on the letter and pip. Great ideas.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:06:09 PM by S. Carey »

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Scott,

thanks, Randy

Awesome! Thanks a lot! It means a lot to me that you spent time on this yourself. I owe you big time.

I see what you are saying now with the colors. I also really like the textured background. It definitely shows a lot more depth than just a flat color. I also dig the beveling on the letter and pip. Great ideas.

It's my pleasure Scott. I'm just glad I didn't insult you or your artist by downloading the image and messing with it!

Thanks, Randy