You are Here:
Uusi Classic (KS)

Author (Read 8729 times)

Re: Uusi Classic (11/1/14 9am Central to KS)
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

OH MY GOD! You sound nothing like I thought you would and I have been mispronouncing your name this whole time.

THIS. And this.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

OH MY GOD! You sound nothing like I thought you would and I have been mispronouncing your name this whole time.

THIS. And this.
Me too! Awesome skills! Also now I REALLY need this deck!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:02:52 PM by Rose »

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice Don, and like everyone else, would not have put the voice with the face, lol

Beautiful deck though, and your right, the deck holds up amazingly well.

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 02:23:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for the kind words.  I did some stage acting in high school, film acting in college (student projects) and I was a radio DJ at an alt-rock station in South Florida.  I still have an FCC license that's good for life, back when they still issued them, allowing me to operate a radio station up to 100,000 watts (the maximum power for any AM or FM station).  The entire video was me speaking off-the-cuff, no script, though it was probably my third or fourth pass at it.

As you can see for yourself, the gilding on those Uusi decks performs very nicely, better than I would have thought possible.  There's something really cool about using gilded cards for a game or even a little magic.  It's not a major thing in terms of the deck's design, but it's certainly eye-catching.  A good magician could use that - wave around flashy gold-edged cards in one hand while the other is reaching for a prop, another deck, etc.  I was honestly shocked that I could weave-shuffle with them - the edges are better than USPC's Mavericks, though I suppose a batch of "disco fries" would also have a better edge than Mavericks...  (Disco fries, at least to my knowledge, came to New York via Ireland - french fries covered in melted cheese and beef gravy.  It's like spackling your arteries!)

I was hoping to have my face in the video, not just my hands, but with the primitive jury-rig setup I had, it just wasn't practical.

By the way, exactly what (or whom) did you guys think I'd sound like?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 02:25:28 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 02:59:35 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
As you can see for yourself, the gilding on those Uusi decks performs very nicely, better than I would have thought possible.  There's something really cool about using gilded cards for a game or even a little magic.  It's not a major thing in terms of the deck's design, but it's certainly eye-catching.  A good magician could use that - wave around flashy gold-edged cards in one hand while the other is reaching for a prop, another deck, etc.  I was honestly shocked that I could weave-shuffle with them - the edges are better than USPC's Mavericks, though I suppose a batch of "disco fries" would also have a better edge than Mavericks...  (Disco fries, at least to my knowledge, came to New York via Ireland - french fries covered in melted cheese and beef gravy.  It's like spackling your arteries!)

I was thinking when you fan the deck that the guilding would show, looks really awesome!!!
I know you are from New York so I guess I expected a New York accent apart from that I don't know what I expected. Seriously awesome skills you have there.
All I know is you make the deck look good, or does the deck make you look good...either way looks good!  :)

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
As an added little nougat from your video, maybe people will now actually know how to correctly pronounce your name...  ;) 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
There are very few things that would have me up at 7am on the Saturday after Halloween. Uusi is one of them. In for an LE silver gilded classic blue and one of each standard. There goes any budgeting I did this month.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: Uusi Classic (KS)
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
"Uusi Classic" Limited Edition Playing Cards

Over 2/3 there in just an hour or so. Another excellent deck from Uusi!
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Thanks for the kind words.  I did some stage acting in high school, film acting in college (student projects) and I was a radio DJ at an alt-rock station in South Florida.  I still have an FCC license that's good for life, back when they still issued them, allowing me to operate a radio station up to 100,000 watts (the maximum power for any AM or FM station).  The entire video was me speaking off-the-cuff, no script, though it was probably my third or fourth pass at it.

Lets put this to good use. You should host a weekly Discourse Video Chat.

The Blue Crown videos were not the most flattering of portrayals. You were chewing on a slice of pizza. Not many people want to be on video with their mouth full of food. That's all I had to go by until now. The comments were not meant as a prejudgment of you. Your level of speaking skill came as a surprise. It was above average. Per your explanation, now we know why.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 01:26:45 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I do notice that most people meeting me for the first time would never assume I was a New Yorker.  I learned more English from television than from my parents, it would seem - my speech patterns are nearly devoid of accent, similar to many newscasters, particularly on the national broadcasts.  However, I do have a tendency to start mimicking the accents of people I'm talking with from time to time!

But enough about me - now it's time to discuss Uusi Classic!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:02:58 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
The cards look fantastic, but notice how fast the boxes flew off the shelves.
Did anyone here score the FRIENDS OF THE FAMILY COLLECTOR BOX -- I missed it by seconds.

/bama

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Did anyone here score the FRIENDS OF THE FAMILY COLLECTOR BOX -- I missed it by seconds.

/bama

Wasn't me, I also missed it by seconds. It was available when I initially clicked. By the time the little pledge thing popped up, it was "sold out".
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 03:41:15 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

/bama

Wasn't me, I also missed it by seconds. It was available when I initially clicked. By the time the little pledge thing popped up, it was "sold out".
Pretty much same thing happened to me. I spent too much time reading instead of scrolling to the end.

I'm still trying to figure out the fastest way to pull-up the page on a launch. 'Discover new launched' wasn't working at 7AM so I searched on UUSI and the page was there.

Maybe next time ... except there is no Uusi next time. :(

/bama
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:41:33 PM by bamabenz »

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

/bama

Pretty much same thing happened to me. I spent too much time reading instead of scrolling to the end.

I'm still trying to figure out the fastest way to pull-up the page on a launch. 'Discover new launched' wasn't working at 7AM so I searched on UUSI and the page was there.

/bama

I had their "Projects  Created" pulled and kept refreshing it. But the SECOND the project went live, the router died. After I got it reset just like 5 minutes later, all the brick boxes had been taken. Once I quickly got mine in, I then saw the Friends and Family box and realized I was aggravated I didn't notice it, then saddened because I knew I wouldn't have been able to pledge for it anyhow :-[

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 11:19:03 PM »

troy

• True Member

/bama

/bama

I use this link for all playing cards on Kickstarter and just click, "reload this page" over and over again.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?term=playing+cards&sort=newest

I was in right away. The Friends Of The Family Collector Box was available, but too rich for my Blue Bloods.

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2014, 01:02:22 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Don’s “iPhone” video is better than some “professional” videos on Youtube. He just needs to work with its sound and remove some background noise. Well-trained pleasant voice and the best angle for shooting such reviews as you always see cards with the reviewer.

Annie is prettier than any queen in Uuis's decks :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 12:32:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don’s “iPhone” video is better than some “professional” videos on Youtube. He just needs to work with its sound and remove some background noise. Well-trained pleasant voice and the best angle for shooting such reviews as you always see cards with the reviewer.

Annie is prettier than any queen in Uuis's decks :)

OK, now you have me thinking of getting a real camera...  I should poke around on my Mac to see what video editing software it came with - I think I have an older version of iMovie.

Annie actually IS a queen in the deck, in a manner of speaking!

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 10:39:52 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I picked up a gold gilded deck and a few of each color of the regular decks. Looking forward to adding these to my Uusi collection. Now, the impatient waiting begins! :-)

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 12:29:17 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Friendly reminder time. Three days left here. With the holidays so close, you may see some of the "All Gone!" become available in the last hour of this project. I wouldn't hold my breath though, so get in on it before you miss out of the KS if it's something you've had your eye on. Last deck in the Uusi six deck series after all.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 06:07:15 PM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I finally got time to tear open my Classics. Unsurprisingly I liked what was inside. I've posted a few thoughts / photos here:

http://www.magasaki.com/#!classic/cedo

Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski