You are Here:
Traditional Abstractions (KS)

Author (Read 1306 times)

Traditional Abstractions (KS)
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Non USPCC playing cards and no mention of the printer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/926480775/traditional-abstractions

Re: Traditional Abstractions (KS)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:45:20 PM »

vmagic

$10,000 is a lot for non-USPC, seems like a pass for me and a fail anyway.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »

Firdawesome

• True Member
I love the artwork and colours, so lurid and reminiscent of Pop Art. The designer, Alex, told me that the cards will be printed in California as he wants to keep it local due to sustainability. I'm treating this more as an art showcase much like the Digital Abstract decks.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:46:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My "favorite" parts are the backwards "Q" values found on the Queens of Spades and Hearts...

He takes an old set of court card faces, slaps bizarre patterns on the clothing and makes these THICK, BLACK LINES along the sides that print into the bleed...  The Jokers are direct rip-offs of the Joker King on Bicycle Jokers.

I just get the distinct feeling that he's trying to make his cards "different" solely for the sake of being different.  I do not find them attractive in the least.  It probably doesn't help that I was never a big fan of "Pop Art".

And can someone tell me why the King of Spades looks like he's wearing a baby carrier with a small dog in it?  Oh, wait a sec...  I got a closer look at the KS page for this deck.  It's just an artist's special, with all sorts of things hidden in the fabric of the court cards, like trucks, parking lots, dolphins, a stubbed cigarette butt, etc.  Still not a fan of the art, but hey, that's just me - I'm sure plenty of other people can appreciate the artist's concept and the work that went into his design.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:59:29 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Well, I wasn't into it at first especially because the hearts court cards remind me of the X-Men (Nightcrawler, Mystique, and Beast) but I'm beginning to like the idea of drawing stuff into the clothing. Starred for now. :)

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:15:36 AM »

Firdawesome

• True Member
I thought the designs looked bizarre at first too, but when I looked through the Kickstarter page I realised he must've spent a lot of time drawing in all the things that fit his Californian theme, so I don't think he's merely making his cards different for the sake of being different. I like that cut-and-paste zine aesthetic, especially with the limited color palette, but as you said this will not appeal to everyone. It's fine, some people didn't like Jackson's beautiful Fed 52 series. ???

I did offer him some points about making his deck more functional and appealing to cardists and collectors - I hope he takes some of them into consideration. ;)

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »

Strag

• True Member
Well if he wants local sustainability then he doesn't need us International backers. Amusingly I'm an ex-pat California living in the UK, all this crap about local products etc is BS.  It's great to buy local when you can but in this case the argument doesn't hold water for me.  Are all the printing presses being used manufactured locally?  Are all the paper products and inks produced locally? 

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Are all the paper products and inks produced locally?

I doubt he is the CA warrior that your post makes you sound like you think he is. He is probably just trying to support local business in his area, I doubt he is extreme enough in his beliefs that he won't wipe his ass if the paper isn't made from the redwoods or won't use windows because Microsoft's headquarters is in Washington. Some people can believe in something halfway and have it still be a noble belief; everyone that agrees with a cause doesn't have to die for it. I admire that the wants to keep it local, I don't think it matters that the machines the local printer uses were probably not manufactured in California.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »

Strag

• True Member
Are all the paper products and inks produced locally?

I doubt he is the CA warrior that your post makes you sound like you think he is. He is probably just trying to support local business in his area, I doubt he is extreme enough in his beliefs that he won't wipe his ass if the paper isn't made from the redwoods or won't use windows because Microsoft's headquarters is in Washington. Some people can believe in something halfway and have it still be a noble belief; everyone that agrees with a cause doesn't have to die for it. I admire that the wants to keep it local, I don't think it matters that the machines the local printer uses were probably not manufactured in California.

You know, my bad, not the right area to be posting something like this.  I agree, he can "keep it local" if he likes, certainly up to him.  People should support what they like, however they like, as long as they don't harm anyone else.  I wish him luck, but I won't be backing (and not for the local sourced reasons... I actually just don't really care for the design).

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
]You know, my bad, not the right area to be posting something like this.  I agree, he can "keep it local" if he likes, certainly up to him.  People should support what they like, however they like, as long as they don't harm anyone else.  I wish him luck, but I won't be backing (and not for the local sourced reasons... I actually just don't really care for the design).

True, it's a very (maybe too much so?) different design, I am curious to see if this reaches it's funding goal.
I wonder if people look at KS card projects, decide they will do one, and think that they can charge the same amount per deck using a no name printer as the successful USPCC campaigns.

Also, I apologize for harping on your post, wasn't meaning to be antagonizing, I was just playing devils advocate, I appreciate you not taking it the wrong way.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.