You are Here:
new product from dan and dave

Author (Read 9965 times)

Re: new product from dan and dave
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2012, 03:14:25 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Boyer... Impressed that you know the correct spelling of Hear, Hear...

Also, I'm so glad that I spent the last two months securing the Tungstene, as well as some others in the box... Gotta love D&D's sales methods... 150 people will buy this common stock just to get the Tungstene and the IAOCP... I actually considered it (residual impulse) before I came back to reality... If you don't have anything in the box, then it's a great deal...

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:17 AM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
It's pretty much the same decks every time, I wish they would mix it up a little more. I snatched up a VB v4 since it had IAOCP, Tungstene and an S&M v3, all decks I didn't own at the time, but every box since then has been the same.

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 04:14:26 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Honestly these VBs are great for collectors. What are the chances that you are going to not have any of the 12 usually only 1 or 2 of the decks you won't already have. For that reason we are looking at the VBs as not great. If you are a new collector though, and there are many now-a-days, this is an awesome deal (usually). You get twelve decks that you probably don't have at a reasonable deal and it comes in a nifty little brick box! I think that is awesome.

So sure for many of us it's not the ideal purchase but really with all the new collectors and the growth in the community these really are great products.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 04:46:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Boyer... Impressed that you know the correct spelling of Hear, Hear...

Thanks.  Get old enough to fart dust and you learn a few things...  :))

I'm still scratching my head over the Studs.  Not only the fact that they're selling them, but that there's been a few Studs here and there in the Variety Boxes.  They're one of the few decks cheaper than Bikes that are worth using to any degree, and you're going to drop them in a box of what's supposed to be the creme de la creme of the modern card age?  Then there was the visual bait-and-switch they pulled - we had someone here buy the box thinking he was getting the old Studs as pictured in the photos, and instead he got the new ones, which is what was written on the inventory list.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

BTW who here remembers that guy who was trying to sell one of the older Variety Boxes that had a more random assortment of decks - and he REFUSED to list the decks for some cockamamie reason about being true to Dan and Dave or some such crap...  He was really a hoot!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
I remember that guy, ebay seller rearangpow or something :L
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 07:45:52 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Also just thought I would mention, although I collect cards - I stay away from D&D. I go for sets like I have all the BBM decks, most of the theory11, all E apart from BGE1 and gold arcane. Don't get me wrong I love Dan and Dave and think they are awesome but I dont like they're decks or how they operate, the hand lotion? Worthless but with their name $25... Cool huh? And the cards are nice but I mean the Smoke and Mirrors were over done, then  V4, V5, V6 were the same deck but different colours... and the price they warrant is too high for that kinda deck - just a coloured reprint. Also their international shipping is a killer. Maybe I will come to collect their decks but for now I refuse to... Thoughts?
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Also just thought I would mention, although I collect cards - I stay away from D&D. I go for sets like I have all the BBM decks, most of the theory11, all E apart from BGE1 and gold arcane. Don't get me wrong I love Dan and Dave and think they are awesome but I dont like they're decks or how they operate, the hand lotion? Worthless but with their name $25... Cool huh? And the cards are nice but I mean the Smoke and Mirrors were over done, then  V4, V5, V6 were the same deck but different colours... and the price they warrant is too high for that kinda deck - just a coloured reprint. Also their international shipping is a killer. Maybe I will come to collect their decks but for now I refuse to... Thoughts?

I think that's totally reasonable! I can see where you are coming from on all your points. I still tend to collect there deck because many of them I love the art on (Fantastique for example). I think if I was not living in the states I would also shy away from D&D because of the shipping. You make some very valid points my friend.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2012, 11:33:33 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i agree .. i buy deck from theory 11 and thebluecrown other web but i dun really buy from dan and dave .. the way they release deck is getting more and more crazy .. every new deck after a few more month and the deck are mostly the same .. and for the variety box is the same .. i really like the variety box v1 and v2 but after that the other variety box are all crap

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 12:14:08 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
I think this vbox is really worth the money. Considering that I really want the IAOCP deck and the tunstene and I do not have all but the FCJ, V6 and the aladdins. I reckon maybe D&D are doing the R&D for USPCC, thats why they come out with so many different decks with just minute differences.

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 01:28:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think this vbox is really worth the money. Considering that I really want the IAOCP deck and the tunstene and I do not have all but the FCJ, V6 and the aladdins. I reckon maybe D&D are doing the R&D for USPCC, thats why they come out with so many different decks with just minute differences.

I thought USPC R&D was T11's new job?  :))

Seriously, though, and I said this in the topic on the v6 VB, it's lame that people are being asked to buy a dozen decks when there's only one or two (three if you're lucky) that you actually want.  It's become more of a prestige thing by now to own a VB, since D&D can't be making barrels of money on something with such a limited release.  But the amount of prestige is getting watered down with each new release.

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:35 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I thought USPC R&D was T11's new job?  :))

Seriously, though, and I said this in the topic on the v6 VB, it's lame that people are being asked to buy a dozen decks when there's only one or two (three if you're lucky) that you actually want.  It's become more of a prestige thing by now to own a VB, since D&D can't be making barrels of money on something with such a limited release.  But the amount of prestige is getting watered down with each new release.

Okay I won't post the same thing in this forum since it will be pointless. Don don't get mad at JimmyJohns for posting one thing twice so that people will see it and then go do it yourself.

I agree with your first point though, isn't T11 the one with the USPCC connection :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:39:55 AM by brown_baggs »

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2012, 02:20:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Okay I won't post the same thing in this forum since it will be pointless. Don don't get mad at JimmyJohns for posting one thing twice so that people will see it and then go do it yourself.

I agree with your first point though, isn't T11 the one with the USPCC connection :P

Well, what was said there and here weren't exactly the same.  His post was word-for-word identical, except posting on one page he'd post to the other.

D&D don't really have the same relationship with USPC that T11 has, but I get the feeling that Sieg wasn't terribly serious when he wrote what he did.  But on the topic of T11 (warning - tangent ahead), would it surprise anyone if eventually USPC bought T11?  It's always been the company's style to buy out most of the rest of the market...

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2012, 02:35:38 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Don, Deep breaths... Relax... Take a valium... It's just a forum.... uh-oh, don't come after me now, I was just kidding (somewhat)... hahaha...

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2012, 02:53:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, Deep breaths... Relax... Take a valium... It's just a forum.... uh-oh, don't come after me now, I was just kidding (somewhat)... hahaha...

Hey, I'm very chill right now.  Quiet night at work, getting ready to bust out my box of decks and play a little solitaire, perhaps crack open a magic book and learn a few new moves...  It's all good!

I'm much slower to blow my top than I was before - and even then it took a lot.  Forum posts just wouldn't do it.  Well, except for that kid who kept complaining about people not taking PayPal!

But back to the topic at hand.  So, we've got the new VB with a somewhat-stale selection of decks, Studs (one of the cheapest but still decent USPC decks on the market) for sale, and a handful of tricks, at least one of which I've seen selling elsewhere.  How did this warrant the whole countdown nonsense?

The only thing I'm thankful for is that they didn't release a new deck of their own.  The flood waters appear to finally be receding!

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2012, 02:57:02 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Well it's essentially the same thing.

Well any release warrants a countdown. It's how they promote their products. All in all it really wasn't anything special, but it's what a business has to do.

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2012, 03:04:23 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
They wrote on their facebook that "This cool countdown for new product releases means no more confusion across the different time zones. See it live at http://shop.dananddave.com/". So maybe they were just introducing/trying out the new countdown.

Well, what was said there and here weren't exactly the same.  His post was word-for-word identical, except posting on one page he'd post to the other.

D&D don't really have the same relationship with USPC that T11 has, but I get the feeling that Sieg wasn't terribly serious when he wrote what he did.  But on the topic of T11 (warning - tangent ahead), would it surprise anyone if eventually USPC bought T11?  It's always been the company's style to buy out most of the rest of the market...
def wasnt serious, just a thought because they are releasing so many new decks. And I sure hope USPCC doesn't buy t11. That would destroy whatever t11 started out for. btw why is there no more expose and insider from t11? I kinda miss Christen Gerhart :(

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2012, 05:11:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
def wasnt serious, just a thought because they are releasing so many new decks. And I sure hope USPCC doesn't buy t11. That would destroy whatever t11 started out for. btw why is there no more expose and insider from t11? I kinda miss Christen Gerhart :(

Or...what if USPC were to buy them to inject new life into the creative department?

This should be in a new thread.  Making one now.