Oh bother.
Forum Founder.

Re: new product from dan and dave
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 02:20:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
At this point I don't care if their forum reopens.  They don't read other forums, why should I read theirs?  :))

I would die laughing if it was S&M v7.  It doesn't need a big hype machine - it's freakin' Smoke & Mirrors.  They could release it in chartreuse and print it with crayons on toilet paper with a sandpaper finish, all done with only one hour's notice to their fans, and it would still blow the doors off it would sell out so fast.  In the end, that's kind of sad.

The first three S&Ms were original and had differences that were easily seen in each release.  The next three were a series of color changes; so the first one was SO nice, you had to make two more that were identical except for color?  But every single release sold out in under a day, to the best of my knowledge - at the least the last few did.

Why are we rewarding such mediocrity?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:22:26 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 04:26:11 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
At this point I don't care if their forum reopens.  They don't read other forums, why should I read theirs?  :))

I would die laughing if it was S&M v7.  It doesn't need a big hype machine - it's freakin' Smoke & Mirrors.  They could release it in chartreuse and print it with crayons on toilet paper with a sandpaper finish, all done with only one hour's notice to their fans, and it would still blow the doors off it would sell out so fast.  In the end, that's kind of sad.

The first three S&Ms were original and had differences that were easily seen in each release.  The next three were a series of color changes; so the first one was SO nice, you had to make two more that were identical except for color?  But every single release sold out in under a day, to the best of my knowledge - at the least the last few did.

Why are we rewarding such mediocrity?

Probably because half of the people on here are card collectors and these releases are apart of their hobby. You also have the many people who try to get all of one companies decks. Finally there are some people who just end up liking the decks, no matter what the general public thinks.

Sure the S&M would sell no matter what, but it's not going to be that deck. They would have hyped it up more.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
it will be really sick if it is another deck

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »

LauR

• Elite Member
The quality of design and effort gone into D&D decks seemed to have dropped dramatically, atm they are just trying to abuse the sudden increase in playing card collectors

and spam out as many decks as they can and make as much money as they can before the bubble bursts.

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@LauR, it's not their fault, everyone loves money.

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

HAHAH I see her point though. I think they are taking advantage of the growing community more than any other company. In the end it may just hurt their reputation. Most other companies haven't been as bad with the releases. Maybe T11 with the V2s but that's about it.

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 07:58:28 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Of course everyone loves money, but when you are as rich as them, you can step back for a second and think about it. Do you have to make complete crap in order to make money, or can you be reasonable. Think about it. It's not rocket science!

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@brown_bagg and @Nathan, I might be the only one that loves them because I don't buy their decks. haha :P
Even thought I wanted to buy the Dragon Of The Year deck last month, I didn't because its name was changed to ChinaTown. Why should I like ChinaTown? ChinaTown is nothing to do with me. However, I like to watch people talk about their decks. Isn't it very interesting to see people crazy for the decks you don't want ;)

"everyone loves money" was sarcasm. But business is business, they are right in fact. The market is like a pie, the more producers there are, the more the pie is sliced up into thinner and thinner pieces. Of course they want to take a big bite of the market.

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
How are any of you judging how much money Dan & Dave have? The statements of their financial status reek of immaturity.  You have no idea how much money they have.  They are two guys trying to make a living like anyone else.  Those of you who are not yet earning a living for yourselves should not even begin to comment on anyone else's financial status.  I have heard they are nice guys, and I'm not the biggest fan of how they release or sell some of their decks (Tungstene), but they are doing what most of you would do in a heartbeat if given the opportunity... Earning a living selling playing cards?  What a dream come true!!!  They come off a little egocentric (Fulton especially), but that's just my opinion... I won't deny them that they are where they are due to a lot of hard work, a gimmicky twin brother magician/card conjurer thing, and maybe a little luck.  I remember seeing a video where they're in their car talking about Jerry's Nuggets that they bought for a couple of dollars per deck and how they were just going to rape the card collecting community and make a fortune, which I didn't think showed them in the best light... I collect their decks because, at this point in playing card history, I feel that they are definitely making a dent and some of their decks are nice compared to just about anything else that anyone is doing, so I try and pick up at least one of each of their releases... The fact of the matter is however many of you think they are phoning it in right now, should really take a look at many of the decks being produced these days... A lot of Garbage - A lot... And those of you on your high design horse who think you've reinvented the wheel and that your decks are revolutionary - think again, because most of them are Garbage too, and not only are they not going to be remembered, but they will serve no purpose in future playing card collections for years to come (you know who you are)... Enjoy the cards, & if you're not crazy about them, don't buy them... Most companies reach a peak, be happy that you were there with Dan & Dave at their peak, but who knows, maybe the peak is yet to come?  Anyhow... Keep enjoying your cards and I hope you all are able to secure the decks that you want... Peace... -J

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 01:46:55 AM »

Masque

• True Member
I think that I'll just wait until they've completed the Smoke and Mirrors series with v54, so that we can just get that variety deck.

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 02:01:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
How are any of you judging how much money Dan & Dave have? The statements of their financial status reek of immaturity.  You have no idea how much money they have.  They are two guys trying to make a living like anyone else.  Those of you who are not yet earning a living for yourselves should not even begin to comment on anyone else's financial status.  I have heard they are nice guys, and I'm not the biggest fan of how they release or sell some of their decks (Tungstene), but they are doing what most of you would do in a heartbeat if given the opportunity... Earning a living selling playing cards?  What a dream come true!!!  They come off a little egocentric (Fulton especially), but that's just my opinion... I won't deny them that they are where they are due to a lot of hard work, a gimmicky twin brother magician/card conjurer thing, and maybe a little luck.  I remember seeing a video where they're in their car talking about Jerry's Nuggets that they bought for a couple of dollars per deck and how they were just going to rape the card collecting community and make a fortune, which I didn't think showed them in the best light... I collect their decks because, at this point in playing card history, I feel that they are definitely making a dent and some of their decks are nice compared to just about anything else that anyone is doing, so I try and pick up at least one of each of their releases... The fact of the matter is however many of you think they are phoning it in right now, should really take a look at many of the decks being produced these days... A lot of Garbage - A lot... And those of you on your high design horse who think you've reinvented the wheel and that your decks are revolutionary - think again, because most of them are Garbage too, and not only are they not going to be remembered, but they will serve no purpose in future playing card collections for years to come (you know who you are)... Enjoy the cards, & if you're not crazy about them, don't buy them... Most companies reach a peak, be happy that you were there with Dan & Dave at their peak, but who knows, maybe the peak is yet to come?  Anyhow... Keep enjoying your cards and I hope you all are able to secure the decks that you want... Peace... -J

Hey, I understand that not every deck they make is crap.  I'm pretty fond of FCJ and the Vintage Plaids.  But they're cranking out an insane number of decks in a short time (eight releases since Halloween, five of which were their designs), some of which do indeed seem as though they phoned it in.  That's more releases than any three of the other "big design houses" (Ellusionist, Theory11, Blue Crown, David Blaine) released in the same time frame COMBINED.

The Chinatown deck has faces that are NEARLY IDENTICAL to the Vintage Plaids.  Take any Vintage Plain card but the AoS, strip away the yellowish background, swap yellow for non-metallic gold, and presto, you have the face of a Chinatown card, right down to the shade of red used on the red pips.  Smoke and Mirrors?  Great handling, but it's been the exact same design except for new colors since version 4!  A new color ISN'T a new version, it's just a new color.  They used to remember that back when they released the first three Smoke and Mirrors decks.  And the Vintage Plaid backs that I like?  The back designs came straight out of the Bicycle archives, where they were known as the Arizona Plaid deck and the California Plaid deck.  The least they could have done was call a spade a spade and give them the Bicycle brand name...

I personally don't care how much money they made, are making or will make.  And I do work for a living - I'm at work now, at 2 in the morning, East Coast time.  What I do care about is lazy work being pushed off as "version x" or a new design.  I care about designs that are so completely cribbed from another deck, it's practically a form of plaigarism.  I care about them pushing so much of this lazy work on the market so fast that small card designers are feeling squeezed.  People will buy version 7 Smoke & Mirrors decks until they're coming out of their ears, even if it's only a color change to black/"carbon fiber" - but what happens to little guys like the Curator deck, AetherCards, Encarded, etc.?

If every single deck they released in the past year or two was wholly original, well-designed and well-made, I would be thrilled.  But they aren't.  So I'm not.  Neither are a lot of people here.  The same people who used to buy their stuff by the brick are now buying a few decks or none at all.  Throwing load after load of crap at the wall and seeing what sticks isn't the apex of playing card design nor is it the crowning achievement of a playing card company.  They're rushing back to Smoke and Mirrors because after all these post-S&Mv6 releases, still in stock weeks after they were released, people are starting to think they jumped the shark.  The only exceptions would be the decks they released but DIDN'T design: Tungstene, Jerry's Nugget in red and blue and Ohio Arrcos in red and blue.  And I'm not counting ANY of the stuff they're carrying from T11 or from USPC directly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:03:14 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
can i have a link to were the count down is at?

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
can i have a link to were the count down is at?
ON their shop:
http://shop.dananddave.com/

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
@nathancanadas thank you.

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Oh, they have a countdown! That's pretty official haha  ::) In all seriousness though, that could mean something pretty cool. They haven't had a countdown since Fantastique if I'm not mistaken?

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
It would be so fun if this were another flourishing DVD!

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
I still really enjoy there cards and will probably be one of the guys sitting in front of my computer as the count down ends. The problem for me is that the cards (if it is need cards) lose some by having these constant releases. It does have its positive sides. Having the cards not selling out in five minutes makes in much easier to order more. Once the China town decks were released and I talked to some people I know in China they requested I pick up a # for them. The people I talked to in China were very impressed an American company would release specialty playing cards for there new year. It was nice to be able to go back to DandD instead of having to buy them from the resellers on Ebay. I guess whatever DandD is thinking these releases are still working out for them. If it was not finacially benfecial to them I am sure it would not be still going on. I do not even know if any of the decks ie plaid, fantastique, fultons or china town have sold out yet. I purchased at least a few of each and like each one. It is a little bit of a financial drain when they keep doing this. One thing I like what they do is being a little mysterious about the amount they produce of each deck when they release them.

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 01:03:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I still really enjoy there cards and will probably be one of the guys sitting in front of my computer as the count down ends. The problem for me is that the cards (if it is need cards) lose some by having these constant releases. It does have its positive sides. Having the cards not selling out in five minutes makes in much easier to order more. Once the China town decks were released and I talked to some people I know in China they requested I pick up a # for them. The people I talked to in China were very impressed an American company would release specialty playing cards for there new year. It was nice to be able to go back to DandD instead of having to buy them from the resellers on Ebay. I guess whatever DandD is thinking these releases are still working out for them. If it was not finacially benfecial to them I am sure it would not be still going on. I do not even know if any of the decks ie plaid, fantastique, fultons or china town have sold out yet. I purchased at least a few of each and like each one. It is a little bit of a financial drain when they keep doing this. One thing I like what they do is being a little mysterious about the amount they produce of each deck when they release them.

Fantastique has been sold out for a little while.  You can get it from them by buying an uncut sheet, but that's it.  The rest are still in stock.

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
So it looks like the new product is the variety box v6 and now they have stud decks...

Here's the link to the Studs... http://shop.dananddave.com/stud-playing-cards.html

and

Here's the link to the Variety Box V6.... http://shop.dananddave.com/variety-box.html
The variety box has...

If an Octopus Could Palm
Tungstene
Smoke & Mirrors: v6
Fantastique
Fulton's Clip Joint
BeeĀ® Acorn Back: Green
Arrco (Cincinnati)
Aladdin (Cincinati)
Ask Alexander
Monarchs
Bee RJs
Vintage Plaid

EDIT: There were also 4 other releases... Solo, Triumph v136, reflections, and riffle action palm.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:08:41 PM by brown_baggs »

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 11:28:37 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
So it looks like the new product is the variety box v6 and now they have stud decks...

Here's the link to the Studs... http://shop.dananddave.com/stud-playing-cards.html

and

Here's the link to the Variety Box V6.... http://shop.dananddave.com/variety-box.html
The variety box has...

If an Octopus Could Palm
Tungstene
Smoke & Mirrors: v6
Fantastique
Fulton's Clip Joint
BeeĀ® Acorn Back: Green
Arrco (Cincinnati)
Aladdin (Cincinati)
Ask Alexander
Monarchs
Bee RJs
Vintage Plaid

EDIT: There were also 4 other releases... Solo, Triumph v136, reflections, and riffle action palm.
i was going to post it but you beat me !! .. so who is going to buy it ?? i feel like buying it but not enough money ..

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 01:23:37 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Hmm, doesn't look really attractive.. though the IAOCP and Tungstene can cover up the costs, shipping prices are expensive plus the other decks are not really that attractive..
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Not sure why people would buy Studs if you live in the US. They're not the old ones, and you can just buy them over at any Walgreens with no shipping costs.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 01:59:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Not sure why people would buy Studs if you live in the US. They're not the old ones, and you can just buy them over at any Walgreens with no shipping costs.

Hear, hear!  I pay less for them at my local Walgreen's, even after sales tax.  It's nuts for them to charge that price plus shipping and expect to move them, especially since the real target market, people out of the country who don't have Walgreen's near them, frequently object to their high shipping costs.

And as far as the V6 Variety Box - I have all but two of them already, and of the two I have no desire to own one of them.  I'm not buying a brick to get a single deck.  The D&D Variety Boxes have truly jumped the shark by now.  The best ones they had were the first two and the Vintage Edition for the holidays.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:59:56 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 02:03:57 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I might grab like 3 of each colour of Studs just because I have never owned any and I am a Canadaian so I cant get them in stores. :)

EDIT: Nevermind me getting any. There is NO WAY I am paying $16 to ship 6 decks! >:( >:( I can ship up to a brick for $15 from E! :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:06:27 AM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.