smoke and mirrors v7 out this year

Author (Read 19021 times)

Re: smoke and mirrors v7 out this year
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I will probably get a brick regardless of weather they change the backs or not but I really hope they change it :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 11:05:46 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
i hope they look awesome if not there smoke and mirrors quality so ill be picking alot up on the release day as theyll only go up so i need to get them while there still reasonble price i love the feel and love to use them hey guys maybe theyll be 7.77 launch price :P
I have a feeling they will be the same back design as V4, V5, and V6..... or since the first 3 were the same, then the next 3 changed, maybe V7 will be a new back design!
I really do hope they change the back design, and I think they will to, so they can finish this series strongly. Also, the first 3 weren't the same: they had subtle differences in the D&D logo, since it changed over the course of the years.
Finally, since I wasn't here for the realease of any of the other S&M, how much did they cost? And how much will these cost in your opinion?
I think V6 was $5.99 but I don't know for sure.

They are always $5.95. If you buy the brick, i think it's around $5 per deck.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2012, 04:19:17 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I'm sure I'll get at least a brick. The ad card in the v6s (which is what the rumored v7s will look like) is sick!! If it looks like that then I'll be getting more than a brick possible. Overall I've loved the series. I know many people had problems with it or thought it was unoriginal, but I was still a fan. That being said, I'm very excited about this new version and plan on picking up a good amount.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
BUCK TWINS! Y U NO MAKE PINK DECK LoL! hahahahah!
But yeah DDs handles so great and its a shame that they sell out so quickly. i don't really mind the back design not changing. Keeps the cost down ^_^

A pink deck will look AWESOME. *DROOLS*
Check out my channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanDebozioSong?feature=mhee

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
A pink deck really would look pretty cool! Especially in the S&M design. There really aren't that many great pink decks when I think about it. There are the breast cancer awareness decks, but none by the big companies like E, T11, D&D, etc... I wonder who will be the first to release a pink deck haha

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Well isn't the chinatown deck pink, in a way? But anyways, yes, I think a hot pink deck would look very neat!

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Well isn't the chinatown deck pink, in a way? But anyways, yes, I think a hot pink deck would look very neat!

No it's more orange or coral which I wouldn't consider that close to pink at all (more close to an orange/red). I'm talking more bright pink like the BCA decks.

Like this pink...

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
pink or purple deck is not easy to design.
But I remember sawing someone posted pink and purple artifice on the Facebook, and that looks great.

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Wow, on zaganh's picture, for me, the deck is pink, and on D&D's website, I see it as a dark red. Maybe im color blind!

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2012, 04:12:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Wow, on zaganh's picture, for me, the deck is pink, and on D&D's website, I see it as a dark red. Maybe im color blind!

You aren't.  They did some skillful lighting and photography to make the deck look a darker shade of red on their website.  The deck is more of an orange with a little extra red in the mix, but it would never be confused for being a real "Chinese red", if such a thing really exists.  The red wrappers of the firecrackers they're posed with are more like that red - and the light reflected off those things are probably what helped make the deck look more red.

Anyway...

Everyone around here is speculating over v7 - and jumping ahead to v8, v9...  Anyone want to take a guess at v26?  How about v385?

We don't even know with certainty that the v7 will be a big success.  Yes, it's D&D, yes it's Smoke & Mirrors.  But what if the word on the decks was that they handled like crap or were butt ugly?  Everyone assumes it will be "carbon fiber" just based on a single card appearing in the v6 deck.  We have NO IDEA if that's what they're making the next deck like.  The furthest I could see this going would be maybe a black and white set, or a black v7 and a white v8 - but that's all conjecture.  D&D never actually named that card "carbon fiber", did they?  I recall it was a third party.

Many people are turned off by the recent batch of decks designed by D&D since S&M v6.  Fantastique only sold out last month and it was released on Halloween.  Never before has a D&D deck, reported by them to be printed in SMALLER quantities than the v6, taken well over a month to sell out.

The true gauge of how fed up people are with their design and marketing tactics will be in how long it takes the Chinatown deck to sell out.  For the first time, they announced the quantity made - only 5,000.  The way they said it implied that it was a low print run, possibly the lowest, but that could be a marketing ruse.  But regardless, let's see if a 5,000-deck print run takes, oh, two months or more to sell out, rather than under a day like the S&M decks have.  They could do what Zenneth Kok does with the New Fan Backs - releasing them in spurts rather than shooting the entire load in a single release.  (No sexual innuendo intended...)  Or they could try making them artificially more rare by producing a truly small print run, like 2,000 or less.  The bag of tricks isn't endless, but they haven't exhausted all of them just yet.

S&M v7 will practically be guaranteed some degree of success just on the brand name alone.  But if there's any real bad word circulating on v7 when it's released, they might ride the S&M coattails one more time for a v8, but after that, the goose laying the golden decks will keel over.  S&M will have jumped the shark.

Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 04:23:41 PM »

joshzachmatt

• YouTube:
I can't wait til it comes out =)

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 02:40:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I can't wait til it comes out =)

Wow.  That one sentence has added SO MUCH to the conversation, we might as well just close the topic right here.  Story over, JoshZachMatt has said the FINAL word on Smoke and Mirrors, version 7.

NOT.

(I'm trying not to be harsh, but simple "me, too" posts that add nothing to the conversation get tedious and clutter any topic.  Perhaps if you told us WHY you can't wait, with an answer that was more substantial than "because they're COOL, bro!", we'd find that statement worth reading.)

I looked over my last post from a month ago.

Most of my opinions haven't changed at all.  I do think that S&M v7 will sell out fast, simply because they're Smoke & Mirrors.  They could print them on paper made of recycled dog turds with a finish made of school glue and sawdust, and they'd still sell out before a single deck was in someone's hands to be reviewed.

But I'm looking over the D&D Inventory.  Interesting...

Chinatown, supposedly their most limited deck ever, is still on the shelf nearly two months later.  Who would have thought a D&D deck with a 5,000-copy print run would still be available after so long?  If I asked you that question last summer, you would have thought I suddenly developed a brain tumor that grew into a second head or something.  Now, I don't think anyone here would be very surprised.

The only changes at all to their deck inventory that are apparent would be the addition of Studs and Aviators.  It's kind of funny, since they're both available for less elsewhere - but since these came from the Bucks, they MUST be worth more, right?  WRONG.  I almost expect them to start selling Streamlines, though I doubt they could keep up with WalMart's pricing of $1.00/pack.  When's the last time you bought a brick of ANYTHING at $12, with NO bulk discount?  :))  Closest thing they have to a deal are the sold-out Erdnaseum decks.

They released five decks of their own design in rapid succession from Halloween to Lunar New Year's Day, a period of under three months.  Some were advertised to be in lower quantities than any of the S&M released; one in particular (see above) was actually listed with the exact quantity printed, a first for the Bucks.  Of all five of these decks, it's still, a month later, just the Fantastiques that are sold out - sort of.  You can still get a deck with an order of an uncut sheet, still in stock - which is surprising to me, since uncut sheets usually sell faster than decks due to limited quantity, and this particular deck had probably one of the most unique back designs I've ever seen.

People - what are your thoughts on Dan and Dave as a company and the forthcoming S&M v7 in particular?  I'm not talking about the Bucks personally - they may be fine, upstanding young men or uncouth louts, I can't say either way, not having actually been introduced.  But I have met their company and do know their products - THAT'S what I want to hear from you about.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:44:31 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 04:10:33 AM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
I too think S&M's v7 will sell out fast but maybe not as quick as the last few versions, back when the v1 decks were released I believe they took a week or thereabouts to sell out but then the decks started to fly off the shelves in no time. Now we have so many resellers that dont charge too much during the the first lot they sell so the concern that prices will go up too much isn't too much of a concern for me, I certainly don't want to have to pay triple the price for a deck just released but paying a few $ more as with the v6s isn't too bad.

As we've seen though I think the people who are in it only to make a quick buck realise it might not be the best idea as the market has become saturated with so many decks to choose from many will decide that they don't want dnd cards which were once the only custom decks from a big company along with Ellusionist.

I personally have all the dnd decks from v1s onwards minus the erdnaseum deck (it's on my list of decks to get) I was missing the Magic con deck which I think is dnds most limited deck not the Chinatown deck,  I know they gave some away but in terms of production quantity I believe they had 1200 produced.  I now have the magic con deck thanks to a trade over at UC and so minus the erdnaseum I have all their decks so I'll want to try and get any others they release but I do like the decks they put out, yes they do have their spouts of releasing alot of products, be it hand gel, cards, variety boxes, books and everything else but they are a business and a business that have a great customer service record imo, they don't cheat anyone, they don't force us to buy their products so I see no issue really, sure I think to myself oh another product sometimes but like I say no one is forcing me to buy anything.

I know you didn't ask but I'll also add that Dan & Dave were when I net them back in 2009 really pleasant to talk to and learn from. It was only a 2-3 hour lecture or so but they were very helpful in showing me how to do certain moves I was stuck on and we're happy to have people stop after the lecture and chat. Oh they were also giving away porpers, so not bad at all.

Anyway I'll stop my ramblings
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:19:21 AM by the flying fisherman »
UC

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 06:28:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I too think S&M's v7 will sell out fast but maybe not as quick as the last few versions, back when the v1 decks were released I believe they took a week or thereabouts to sell out but then the decks started to fly off the shelves in no time. Now we have so many resellers that dont charge too much during the the first lot they sell so the concern that prices will go up too much isn't too much of a concern for me, I certainly don't want to have to pay triple the price for a deck just released but paying a few $ more as with the v6s isn't too bad.

As we've seen though I think the people who are in it only to make a quick buck realise it might not be the best idea as the market has become saturated with so many decks to choose from many will decide that they don't want dnd cards which were once the only custom decks from a big company along with Ellusionist.

I personally have all the dnd decks from v1s onwards minus the erdnaseum deck (it's on my list of decks to get) I was missing the Magic con deck which I think is dnds most limited deck not the Chinatown deck,  I know they gave some away but in terms of production quantity I believe they had 1200 produced.  I now have the magic con deck thanks to a trade over at UC and so minus the erdnaseum I have all their decks so I'll want to try and get any others they release but I do like the decks they put out, yes they do have their spouts of releasing alot of products, be it hand gel, cards, variety boxes, books and everything else but they are a business and a business that have a great customer service record imo, they don't cheat anyone, they don't force us to buy their products so I see no issue really, sure I think to myself oh another product sometimes but like I say no one is forcing me to buy anything.

I know you didn't ask but I'll also add that Dan & Dave were when I net them back in 2009 really pleasant to talk to and learn from. It was only a 2-3 hour lecture or so but they were very helpful in showing me how to do certain moves I was stuck on and we're happy to have people stop after the lecture and chat. Oh they were also giving away porpers, so not bad at all.

Anyway I'll stop my ramblings

Magic-Con and Erdnaseum aren't technically their decks, even if they may have had a hand in designing them.  The Erdnaseum was released by CARC, and the Magic-Con deck, as the name implies, was made for the first Magic-Con.  D&D are just resellers, just as they resell other T11, CARC and USPC products.  If they didn't, their playing card selection would be slim, indeed.

The issue I was discussing had more to do with their recent lack of creativity and how on some level they seem to have lost their cachet.  Skim through the older posts, it will make sense.  The fastest-selling decks they've released recently weren't even their own products.

I only spotted one of the Bucks from across the room at the Blue Crown anniversary party two weeks ago.  Didn't go up and introduce myself; I thought it might be intrusive.  They do have a rep for being arrogant and having large egos, but as I said, I have no first hand experience from which to speak on the topic.

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Dnd are the organizers of magic con. So technically it is their deck. And from all the 'stories' I hear about dnd. They seem like fairly nice, friendly and helpful people.

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »

Labyrinth

• True Member
S&M is a real legend of cards :P

I can't  wait for V7 too

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Dnd are the organizers of magic con. So technically it is their deck. And from all the 'stories' I hear about dnd. They seem like fairly nice, friendly and helpful people.

They're also on the board at CARC.  Does that make CARC decks their own as well?

The initial purpose and release was for Magic-Con only, if I'm not mistaken.  The remaining decks were sold publicly on their site, meaning they were secondary sales.

I can't  wait for V7 too

You didn't read a SINGLE WORD of what I wrote to joshzachmatt about "me too" posts, did you?  ::)

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I can't  wait for V7 too

You didn't read a SINGLE WORD of what I wrote to joshzachmatt about "me too" posts, did you?  ::)
@Labyrinth I agree. It's probably the most well known series of late. I'm looking to forward to v7 as well. I wonder if they will throw us a curve ball at with this version  ???

@Don, it's not a huge deal. Sure a lot those posts are annoying but there's not need to police every single one. If it gets out of control... sure. But right now it's not hurting anybody. Let the boards flow. If it gets out of control then I'm sure the mods will step in.

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 02:59:40 AM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
@Don Hoyer, yeah no doubt their recent decks have been selling out at a much slower pace, Chinatown for example, 5000 available and they still haven't sold out.

I guess with the Magic con deck it's hard to say for sure unless we contact them, from my understanding DND are the founders of magic con or maybe it's just partnered with theory 11?
I was under the impression the deck was designed by the dnd playing card company but sponsored by genii, so I would say if it's someones deck it would be theirs. Like I say though I can't be sure but the AOS and back design definitely seems to be the work of dnd.

I think the bad rep comes from forums and people's opinions on how they do business but my experience meeting them left a good impression on me, like you say it's hard to know if you haven't met them.
UC

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 10:30:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@Don Hoyer, yeah no doubt their recent decks have been selling out at a much slower pace, Chinatown for example, 5000 available and they still haven't sold out.

I guess with the Magic con deck it's hard to say for sure unless we contact them, from my understanding DND are the founders of magic con or maybe it's just partnered with theory 11?
I was under the impression the deck was designed by the dnd playing card company but sponsored by genii, so I would say if it's someones deck it would be theirs. Like I say though I can't be sure but the AOS and back design definitely seems to be the work of dnd.

I think the bad rep comes from forums and people's opinions on how they do business but my experience meeting them left a good impression on me, like you say it's hard to know if you haven't met them.

I'd call Magic-Con a Genii deck if they sponsored the con, which D&D were likely hired to create for them.  No sponsor, no con.  D&D have involvement in many decks that aren't released as theirs.  Their faces appear on CARC Erdnase Kings, but that doesn't make it theirs any more than David Blaine's Kings make the same decks his, even if they did have a hand in the design.  If Blue Crown hired me to make the Pink Crown April Fool deck for them, it's their deck, not mine.  Alex has a designer he's hired (an old friend, yes, but in professional terms, he was hired) to work on the Harlequin deck, and Karnival has had Sam Hayles design pretty much all the Karnival decks I've ever seen - it doesn't change who's decks they are.  Since the deck's original intent was for sale at the convention only, any sales after that would be after-market sales.  At least that's my spin on it!

The bad rep comes from more than personal impressions or how they do business.  Some comments about the Magic-Con videos indicated that the two of them were acting quite rude and arrogant to some of the biggest names in the business today.  They're young, they have moods, whatever.  Guess you have to catch them on a good day or something.

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
for those of you that don't follow dan and dave on twitter they re-tweeted this from Brad fulton
"Strange day. Smoked the new Smoke & Mirrors with @bucktwins . #Exhausted #20HourDay"
have you heard the word???

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Guess it's on the way! Maybe during the summer...

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
for those of you that don't follow dan and dave on twitter they re-tweeted this from Brad fulton
"Strange day. Smoked the new Smoke & Mirrors with @bucktwins . #Exhausted #20HourDay"
That's good news. It means they probably put more work into these than into the other S&Ms.

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That's good news. It means they probably put more work into these than into the other S&Ms.

I'd love to say you're right, but don't hold your breath.  :))

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 02:44:28 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I'd love to say you're right, but don't hold your breath.  :))
My motto: Hoping for the best but expecting the worse :))
This song says that and greatly inspires me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1nbvplgElw