Author (Read 19020 times)

Re: smoke and mirrors v7 out this year
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
@brownbaggs: Yes, literally an hour, or less. Their designs are not multi-colored, and they don't have any depth or dimension. Recoloring a D&D deck is about as difficult as (literally) sliding a color slider in Photoshop's hue/saturation menu. Don't believe me? I can probably get the exact tint of the "carbon" color used on the v6 gaff from any of the colored version in five minutes or less. The court cards are a bit more tricky, but not when it comes to removing color which is what we are guessing is happening in v7. Give me another 10-15 minutes and I can recolor the face cards to "carbon" tinting. And I'm in no way special or talented. Ask literally any designer here and they will say the same thing.

The reason I had issues with metallic inks on the Vortex is because metallic inks in and of themselves are too reflective, which takes away from the design in my case.

I love the S&M design, it's why I have multiple decks from every version, but I would be foolish to say that their recoloring takes any effort at all. Believe me, if they did a redesign I would be buying at least a brick. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
I hope they won't be just changing the colour for S&M and leaving the exact same court cards and back design, sooner or later there'll be a gold, silver etc.. sigh, even so i hate to say it but i'll be getting one too...  :-X
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Has anyone ever thought about this?
The Bucks twins may just release up to V9 just so it makes a full brick of S&M?

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 09:38:34 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Has anyone ever thought about this?
The Bucks twins may just release up to V9 just so it makes a full brick of S&M?
Wouldn`t it be 13 if they went to V9

2 colours V1
2 Colours V2
2 Colours V3
2 printings V4
1 V5
1 V6
1 V7
1 V8
1 V9
-------
13 S&M decks

although the 2 versions of V4 dont really count. And that would make an amazing Variety box
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:40:55 PM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 09:49:16 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Yeah I only considered one deck for the V4, that's why I said it'll go up to V9 instead of V8.

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Guys, they won't go any higher than v7 IMO

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

On the other hand, I believe they'll go up to v12 - they should at least make a Variety Box before they end the series.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 10:11:27 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

On the other hand, I believe they'll go up to v12 - they should at least make a Variety Box before they end the series.

That would make 15 decks though.

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 11:15:47 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
@Alex, yeah I understand now how easy it would be for them. I've done similar recoloring in photoshop for my art projects, but I thought it would be harder for cards. I guess I was wrong when it comes to the S&M series haha

Yeah I honestly doubt they will go past the v7 deck. They know the community is getting sick of all the different versions and they are really pushing their luck going past v7. Although I'm sure they will sell no matter what they do, they have such a strong audience when it comes to this series.

@Zaganh, I'm not surprised. I'm sure they will have a few more in the Fulton's series. I just hope that they slow it down a little  bit with the releases
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
If they do make v7 who thinks they will sell out in two days ??

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I'd be guessing they would sell out in less than a day. It's a series with a strong following. Those who have the other verions will most likely pick up a deck or two to add to the collection. Also if they have another custom brick box that will be even more incentive to buy 12+ decks. I think these will sell out FAST

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well, this is good news. It has been literally dozens of hours since the last D&D deck release, and with an S&M deck we already expect uninspired design. Sounds like it'll be a home run!

All too true!  All too true.

I think they should have stopped with v6, but it's like releasing Bond movies - they're practically guaranteed to make money, so as long as the production costs are kept low, you make a profit.

My guess, for what it's worth: "carbon fiber" will simply be the black of another black-&-white deck set for v7, using the v4-6 designs.  But honestly, I hope I'm wrong and that they produce something totally unique and original.  Stranger things have happened.

I'd be guessing they would sell out in less than a day. It's a series with a strong following. Those who have the other verions will most likely pick up a deck or two to add to the collection. Also if they have another custom brick box that will be even more incentive to buy 12+ decks. I think these will sell out FAST

Don't they typically sell out in under an HOUR these days?  I usually find out about them after they're already sold out and I have to go after-market to find them.  17 bucks a pack for v6, and I had to get a replacement deck when my fiancee's son ruined one on me.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think I remember V6 being about 3 hours or so

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Hmm, does anyone have a strong feeling they're gonna stop at v8/9s to make a variety box of S&Ms? I'll bet that'll be way expensive though... think they might even get the idea here, damn it, if that happens I'll be broke..  :-X
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »

anep21

• Elite Member
i think v7 will last more than 2 days

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
i think v7 will last more than 2 days

As much as people have been bemoaning their lack of originality and/or plethora of releases so close to each other, the "Smoke & Mirrors" brand is like paper gold.  They're a known quantity to collectors, with values increasing over the years.

In other words, two days is unlikely.  They'll be gone in a handful of hours.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I still think these will sell out fast, probably in a couple hours or less.

Many people keep talking about them probably making a v8 and v9 to make a variety box or something similar, but they mentioned that the v6 was the last colored Smoke and Mirrors deck. This 7th installment is a grey (carbon fiber) deck. They've already done black and white and most likely grew next so what else are they left with? I can't think of what they would come up with for the 8th and 9th versions if they can only go with shades of grey.

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:35 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I really don't think they'll last more than a day. With the hype of S&M amongst magicians, flourishers and collectors, they'll probably be sold out within 10 hours max.

About the V8, V9, as much as I still believe they'll attempt to make a full brick for the series, you're right @brown_baggs, I'm not sure what variation they could make unless it's shades of grey. Though, this is highly unlikely, what if they use black and white again? The design on V4-V6 (and probably V7) hasn't been done in black and white.

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
i hope they look awesome if not there smoke and mirrors quality so ill be picking alot up on the release day as theyll only go up so i need to get them while there still reasonble price i love the feel and love to use them hey guys maybe theyll be 7.77 launch price :P

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
i hope they look awesome if not there smoke and mirrors quality so ill be picking alot up on the release day as theyll only go up so i need to get them while there still reasonble price i love the feel and love to use them hey guys maybe theyll be 7.77 launch price :P
I have a feeling they will be the same back design as V4, V5, and V6..... or since the first 3 were the same, then the next 3 changed, maybe V7 will be a new back design!

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I doubt they'll be $7.77 per piece. The price for their S&M decks have always been the same when they launch it on their site. The only reason for the Chinatown deck to cost $8.88 is to correlate with the Chinese New Year, for that 8 is a lucky number in Chinese.

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I have a feeling they will be the same back design as V4, V5, and V6..... or since the first 3 were the same, then the next 3 changed, maybe V7 will be a new back design!
I really do hope they change the back design, and I think they will to, so they can finish this series strongly. Also, the first 3 weren't the same: they had subtle differences in the D&D logo, since it changed over the course of the years.
Finally, since I wasn't here for the realease of any of the other S&M, how much did they cost? And how much will these cost in your opinion?

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I really do hope they change the back design, and I think they will to, so they can finish this series strongly. Also, the first 3 weren't the same: they had subtle differences in the D&D logo, since it changed over the course of the years.
Finally, since I wasn't here for the realease of any of the other S&M, how much did they cost? And how much will these cost in your opinion?
I think V6 was $5.99 but I don't know for sure.

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
BUCK TWINS! Y U NO MAKE PINK DECK LoL! hahahahah!
But yeah DDs handles so great and its a shame that they sell out so quickly. i don't really mind the back design not changing. Keeps the cost down ^_^

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
f
BUCK TWINS! Y U NO MAKE PINK DECK LoL! hahahahah!
But yeah DDs handles so great and its a shame that they sell out so quickly. i don't really mind the back design not changing. Keeps the cost down ^_^

I dont think that the cost would be any different if the design changed since they already make so much money off of the cards.