You are Here:
Olympia Playing Cards by Steve Minty [KS Live]

Author (Read 1302 times)

Olympia Playing Cards by Steve Minty [KS Live]
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:38:44 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Now Live on Kickstarter Olympia Playing Cards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steveminty/olympia-playing-cards

"Olympia is an original set of American playing cards designed by Steve Minty and produced by the United States Playing Card Company (USPCC). The deck is inspired by the fascinating stories of Greek Gods and their deeds. Olympia blends the classical beauty of Greek Sculptures with the elegant and sleek lines of modern design."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:39:17 AM by 52JokesAndCounting »
Back for more

Re: Olympia Playing Cards by Steve Minty [KS Live]
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Already at its goal.  I think it will easily hit the overfunding goal for the Underworld edition.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:54:31 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
What do you think of this deck Don?
I am still not very attracted to it yet...
Back for more

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's better than a good percentage of what's on Kickstarter at any particular moment.    The Underworld version looks interesting.  I'm not sure that I'll be backing it, but that's more out of how few decks I buy these days, not out of disliking the design, which I don't.  I know Steve Minty fans will be all over this like ants on a picnic - as well they should be.  I'm certain they're the ones who pushed this to its goal so quickly.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 03:48:11 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

It's better than a good percentage of what's on Kickstarter at any particular moment.    The Underworld version looks interesting.  I'm not sure that I'll be backing it, but that's more out of how few decks I buy these days, not out of disliking the design, which I don't.  I know Steve Minty fans will be all over this like ants on a picnic - as well they should be.  I'm certain they're the ones who pushed this to its goal so quickly.

Probably the colour of deck is the one deterring me from backing this campaign. The colour palette is similar to heretic deck. While the design itself doesn't really pull me in.

Back for more

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 05:22:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Probably the colour of deck is the one deterring me from backing this campaign. The colour palette is similar to heretic deck. While the design itself doesn't really pull me in.

Funny, I see this deck and the LAST thing that comes to my mind is the Heretic deck!  I received one of each as a gift last week and this doesn't evoke that in my mind at all.

BTW: the brick boxes are really all that AND a bag of chips!  They look incredible.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 08:09:31 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
All I can say is that I'm not surprised that the deck has been funded -- and that too, relatively quickly.

Nice tucks, and nice vibrant colours. Everything goes well with the theme. Well done Mr Minty!
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 10:21:32 PM »

steveminty

• Newcomer
Thanks for the praises guys!
I myself don't see the similarity with the Heretic deck myself. As cool as the Heretic decks may be, I believe my approach, style, and sensibilities are completely different from Stockholm 17.
As for the color of the standard deck, it's something I knew from the very get go would not have far reach implications but as it is a GREEK themed deck, it was the most logical and obvious choice for me. Creating something with a lot of restrictions was fun and I am happy with how it came out.
As for the Underworld Deck, I let my choices of color play more freely. It is something that invokes mood while simultaneously fitting the theme.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:38:38 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Thanks for the praises guys!
I myself don't see the similarity with the Heretic deck myself. As cool as the Heretic decks may be, I believe my approach, style, and sensibilities are completely different from Stockholm 17.
As for the color of the standard deck, it's something I knew from the very get go would not have far reach implications but as it is a GREEK themed deck, it was the most logical and obvious choice for me. Creating something with a lot of restrictions was fun and I am happy with how it came out.
As for the Underworld Deck, I let my choices of color play more freely. It is something that invokes mood while simultaneously fitting the theme.

Not saying its the same as heretic but just the colour on the back and circle on the tuck box looks similar to me. Again just the colour and Circle design based on my eyes.  :P
Back for more