Author (Read 861 times)

Well Hello!
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »

Jake

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
Greetings Playing Card Forum Members,

My name is Jake and I currently reside in Cincinnati Ohio. I am the lead applications developer for a cyber security firm here in town. In my free time I like to rock climb, design websites and games, build electronics, and of course.. collect playing cards!

I have always loved to play poker but I honestly can't even remember what turned me on to playing cards in the first place. I can tell you that the first decks I fell in love with were Jackson's Federal 52 series. I had used Kickstarter to help fund a few projects before and I think I noticed his Sherlock series while looking for a nice set of cards for playing poker. Soon after digging into his other created projects I found myself scouring the internet for everything playing cards. The details and variety of art in such a consumable size and density was mesmerizing to say the least. and still to this day, 3 years later, I can get lost in my collection for hours.

I hope to get to know more of you and gain a deeper knowledge of playing card design evolution as well as some of what we can learn about history from examining them. I like to think of them like little time capsules that give us a glimpse into the artists mind as well as the technology and culture of the times.

Thanks for reading!

Attached is a picture of my yet to be organized collection (just moved into a space where i can finally put them on display)
Jake Kofron
Sr. Applications Developer
Playing Card Guru - A Better Playing Card Database

Re: Well Hello!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 10:45:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That's one lovely looking collection you have there!  Tell us more about it sometime - and show us pictures when you have it all set up.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:16:16 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking yet to be organized collection you have there. I hope you'll show us when you have them organized and displayed. (I have to say I'm jealous of your display space, the vast majority of my decks are unfortunately out of sight.) Looking good!
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:40:10 PM »

Jake

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
Thanks.

I will definitely post some more pics when I have it organized. And Fes, I know how you feel having them out of sight. Its hard to rationalize spending money on them when you can't readily enjoy them. I was very excited to finally get a spare room. It functions as my home office but hey, gotta put something on those walls!
Jake Kofron
Sr. Applications Developer
Playing Card Guru - A Better Playing Card Database

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Welcome Jake! 

Nice space to show off your cards!  I too would love to see your collection and look forward to seeing your home office once it is done! ;)

Cheers,
Sherman