You are Here:
Hey guys!

Author (Read 1764 times)

Hey guys!
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:18:34 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
Hey everyone!
My name's Jonathan and I'm from Australia.
I've recently become a card collector, beginner magician and beginner cardist.
I originally got into cards because I liked to play texas holdem poker; then I youtubed some card magic from the like of David Blaine etc.
My inner card collector was really kicked into existence with when I joined kickstarter midway through this year and found all the awesome card projects listed there. Sadly I joined too late for some of the amazing projects *COUGHFED52PART1COUGH*
I'm mostly a card collector that tries to play with some of the decks I have duplicates of.

Cheers guys,
Jonathan

Re: Hey guys!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:27:37 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Hey jonathon, welcome to the discourse. There's a few fellow Aussies on the forum :) if you want, feel free to show off your collection, you can post it here ----> http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/post-your-full-collection/

What's some of your favourite magic tricks?

Nurul
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:33:44 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
Hey Nurul,
Thanks for the message; yeah I'm actually pretty familiar with these forums. I've been reading many of the posts here for the last couple weeks and didn't realise I hadn't even registered hahaha.
Hmmmm some of my favourite magic tricks. I tend to like magic that can be done impromptu with no trick/gaff deck/cards. Like I said I'm originally a teas hold'em player so i like the kind of trick that you can do for friends, then sit down and play a game of poker with afterwards.
Specific tricks that I like: 2 card monte, the this'n'that trick
But I still have a lot of practice to do to get my magic smooth. *think still has to practice the double lift because it's too slow and obvious kind of level hahaha

That said, since becoming more involved in cards I have bought some gaffed/gimick decks. I LOVE the invisible deck - dead easy to use and just makes my friends go, "Wtf, how did you do that?"
I'll get around to posting my collection in a bit - I haven't actually ever taken a photo of all of it at once - usually I take photos of individual decks

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:20:40 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums mate :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:16:58 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome Jonathan, I kind of agree with your choice of favorite tricks. Its always nice to be able to do a few impromptu tricks for friends and family.
.....and yes, Kickstarter is a dangerous place, visit at your own risk  :P

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
Hey Sparkz,

Oh god do I know kickstarter is a dangerous place.
My wallet/bank account feels the pain haha

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome to the boards, bro.  As you can see, we're a pretty friendly bunch around here.  Let us know if you need anything!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:02:06 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

My inner card collector was really kicked into existence with when I joined kickstarter midway through this year and found all the awesome card projects listed there. Sadly I joined too late for some of the amazing projects *COUGHFED52PART1COUGH*
I'm mostly a card collector that tries to play with some of the decks I have duplicates of.

Hi Jonathan, fellow Aussie here.

I feel your pain. I'm usually having to decide between eating and decks of cards myself at the moment. The problem with the really desirable decks like the Fed 52s is that the people who really love them refuse to part with them, and those that are will only sell them for a gratuitous markup on what they paid for them.  :(

I've started trying out cardisty, but am still getting to grips with it all. The online tutorials don't seem to help much unfortunately as they only really show one angle, so it's difficult to tell if you're doing it right.

TL;DR - Welcome to the forum.  :)
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 07:46:17 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
Hey Ronyo,

Thanks for the message!
Gratuitous markup indeed.
Saw the new king's wild site and the prices there - very cut that the fed 52 part 1 decks weren't available on the fed 52 part 2 backerkit :(.
Don't have the budget to justify paying $200 for one of each or $400 for 2 of each when for the same money I could add a significant number of beautiful decks to my collection XD.
Sadly even with the high prices I'm still strongly considering it XD.
Funny enough the shipping on the new kings wild site seems very fair compared to some other sites (but maybe its just because the shipping looks small compared to the price of the decks XD).
I still use online videos - haven't gotten to the point where I've learnt enough cardistry to go looking for more than what's online haha.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Hey jonathon, have you got in contact with Jackson through the forum? I'm sure he'll be willing to negotiate to some extent.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
Hey jonathon, have you got in contact with Jackson through the forum? I'm sure he'll be willing to negotiate to some extent.

Hey Nurul,
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about it (I know Jackson has a "I'm a starting card collector and will trade fed 52 for other decks" threads and I've seen some awesome trades going down there).
Problem for me is three fold:
1: I'm a relatively new collector and don't have many rare/cool decks to trade to Jackson and from what I've read of his trades, the few rare-ish decks I do have Jackson has already traded for :(
2: I'm a new member on these forums, so I can't post on that board yet XD.
3: I'm from Australia, international shipping is stupidly expensive so it probably wouldn't even be worth Jackson's time to trade a small number of decks when he can trade large Quantities with Americans in America.

All I can do now is back the Sherlock Campaign like I wish I had backed the fed 52 parts 1 and 2. (When the part 2 was running I was still really new to collecting cards ... so I got one of each deck ... I hadn't quite figured out the buy 2, 1 to keep 1 to open thing -.- hahaha, also, not loaded enough at the moment to just throw lots of money around everywhere XD, then again, who is? haha).

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
All I can do now is back the Sherlock Campaign like I wish I had backed the fed 52 parts 1 and 2. (When the part 2 was running I was still really new to collecting cards ... so I got one of each deck ... I hadn't quite figured out the buy 2, 1 to keep 1 to open thing -.- hahaha, also, not loaded enough at the moment to just throw lots of money around everywhere XD, then again, who is? haha).

From someone else who is a collector on a budget and relatively new Jonathan, I've come to a few realizations.

1. You can't have everything

2. Patience is a virtue, those decks that you think will be hard to get or cost a fortune will present themselves here and there with the right opportunity. I also missed out on the Fed 52's, but I'm happy to report that I was able to secure them with a little give and take and lots of communication......and ended up with a new friend  ;)

3. Really research decks, I HAD a long list, but its getting smaller because I'm starting to not go "OH and AH" over just a back design, don't get me wrong, if it's something that appeals to me AND the price is in line for what it is, I"m in (Example: Massa decks, Love the cards, you can get them really inexpensively)

Also, as one of those who started with the "2 of everything"...it changes as you understand what it is your paying for and you figure out "HOW" your collecting. Most importantly have fun with it otherwise there's really no point.

I don't know everything, but If you ever need anything just ask  ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:45:09 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular

From someone else who is a collector on a budget and relatively new Jonathan, I've come to a few realizations.

2. Patience is a virtue, those decks that you think will be hard to get or cost a fortune will present themselves here and there with the right opportunity. I also missed out on the Fed 52's, but I'm happy to report that I was able to secure them with a little give and take and lots of communication......and ended up with a new friend  ;)

3. Really research decks, I HAD a long list, but its getting smaller because I'm starting to not go "OH and AH" over just a back design, don't get me wrong, if it's something that appeals to me AND the price is in line for what it is, I"m in (Example: Massa decks, Love the cards, you can get them really inexpensively)

Also, as one of those who started with the "2 of everything"...it changes as you understand what it is your paying for and you figure out "HOW" your collecting. Most importantly have fun with it otherwise there's really no point.

Thanks for the post Sparkz, I hadn't realised you were relatively new to collecting and on a budget too haha.
I do remember reading a fair few of your posts on other threads.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you do a pretty big trade with Jackson? (I could be wrong, my memory is far from perfect)

As for point number 2... yeah I'm beginning to realise that with some of the kickstarter projects, after reading the forums here I've noticed there have been a few straight out scam KS projects while there are others that have had horrible post KS fulfillment.
The main example I can think of is I missed the Quicksilver KS campaign... but apparantly managed to buy one on the aftermarket before people have received their KS pledge fulfillment (which I think is very, very wrong).

Yeah I don;t have 2 of everything - that's just my ideal haha :P.
The other problem for me from a collecting point of view is international shipping to purchase just one or a small number of decks inflates the price per deck pretty significantly. It tends to be better to buy a major haul then the shipping cost/deck drops to more reasonable levels (*I hate that shipping to Australia is so dear on account of us being on the other side of the world from... well.... you know... EVErYTHING XD"

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hey Nurul,
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about it (I know Jackson has a "I'm a starting card collector and will trade fed 52 for other decks" threads and I've seen some awesome trades going down there).
Problem for me is three fold:
1: I'm a relatively new collector and don't have many rare/cool decks to trade to Jackson and from what I've read of his trades, the few rare-ish decks I do have Jackson has already traded for :(
2: I'm a new member on these forums, so I can't post on that board yet XD.
3: I'm from Australia, international shipping is stupidly expensive so it probably wouldn't even be worth Jackson's time to trade a small number of decks when he can trade large Quantities with Americans in America.

Easy solution to the issue that just might work:

• Find out what Jackson wants in exchange for what you want.
  • Find a US retailer who's selling it.
  • Order and pay for it, have it shipped straight to Jackson.
  • He sends you what you want.

Of course, you should wait until you've met the minimum standard before posting - at your rate, it won't be long.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular

Of course, you should wait until you've met the minimum standard before posting - at your rate, it won't be long.

... ... ... ... ... ...
O.M.G.
I can't believe I didn't think of that before -.- .
Either you're a genius; I'm an idiot.... or most likely, both -.- XD.
Although with the KWP online store open now I can't see why Jackson would accept your genius plan except out of sheer generosity.

Hahaha at my rate... it'll be... 6 more days, the post number will be irrelevant, the time limit is the one.

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

... ... ... ... ... ...
O.M.G.
I can't believe I didn't think of that before -.- .
Either you're a genius; I'm an idiot.... or most likely, both -.- XD.
Although with the KWP online store open now I can't see why Jackson would accept your genius plan except out of sheer generosity.

Hahaha at my rate... it'll be... 6 more days, the post number will be irrelevant, the time limit is the one.

Nah, less than six days.  You're ready to roll by Sunday, November 10th, 2013 at 05:13:36 EST, if you can keep up your reputation!

(Of course, you could always approach him by PM, but since you're new here, you might want to give him a chance to get to know you first.  People like to know who they're dealing with.)

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Thanks for the post Sparkz, I hadn't realised you were relatively new to collecting and on a budget too haha.
I do remember reading a fair few of your posts on other threads.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you do a pretty big trade with Jackson? (I could be wrong, my memory is far from perfect)

As for point number 2... yeah I'm beginning to realise that with some of the kickstarter projects, after reading the forums here I've noticed there have been a few straight out scam KS projects while there are others that have had horrible post KS fulfillment.
The main example I can think of is I missed the Quicksilver KS campaign... but apparantly managed to buy one on the aftermarket before people have received their KS pledge fulfillment (which I think is very, very wrong).

Yeah I don;t have 2 of everything - that's just my ideal haha :P.
The other problem for me from a collecting point of view is international shipping to purchase just one or a small number of decks inflates the price per deck pretty significantly. It tends to be better to buy a major haul then the shipping cost/deck drops to more reasonable levels (*I hate that shipping to Australia is so dear on account of us being on the other side of the world from... well.... you know... EVErYTHING XD"

Nope that wasn't me, but I did try and go directly to Jackson for a trade using Don's suggestion and didn't hear back...........I'm sure he's a busy man and get's a lot of messages.
BUT....Don's suggestion is how I've been completing my trades. It takes a little more work, but it's actually great for us noobs....we don't need to invest in trade fodder with the hopes of trading it away for something we want.

As for International shipping...........I got nothin', it just blows.  :P

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm here, I'm listening. Let me know what your looking for on my end. I'm pretty straight forward for what im looking for.

I'm not a Fan of E at all
I like a few T11 & D&D decks
I mainly like old USPC or companies bought by USPC decks.
If you have anything with a Bank Note Back then I'm really interested.
I also look for any deck that has a Federal or Government theme like a Congress deck with the capital as the joker or old war decks with eagles and such.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
I'm here, I'm listening. Let me know what your looking for on my end. I'm pretty straight forward for what im looking for.
I'm not a Fan of E at all
I like a few T11 & D&D decks
I mainly like old USPC or companies bought by USPC decks.
If you have anything with a Bank Note Back then I'm really interested.
I also look for any deck that has a Federal or Government theme like a Congress deck with the capital as the joker or old war decks with eagles and such.

Thanks for the reply Jackson!
Which T11 and D&D decks do you like?

I'm a fairly new collector, so I don't have any older decks or anything with a bank note back; I don't even know what the bank note back is haha!

What I'm looking for is easy anything Fed 52 ahaha. Especially part 1 because I missed the kickstarter for it. I'm a backer on part 2 but regrettably I only backed for 1 of each deck (this was before I realised I prefer to have 1 deck to open and 1 deck to keep sealed)