You are Here:
Signed Black Reserve Note Private Reserve - $1000 on eBay..?

Author (Read 8486 times)

Signed Black Reserve Note Private Reserve - $1000 on eBay..?
« on: October 20, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
This seems worth sharing:
Signed Black Reserve Note Private Reserve on eBay for $1k, probably the most I have ever seen asked for a modern deck. I wasn't part of the original campaign, so I'm not privy to much info on the Private Reserves, were there really so few of them to command that high of an asking price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unbranded-Federal-52-Black-Reserve-Note-Private-Reserve-by-Jackson-Robinson-/221914132056?hash=item33ab1cee58:g:f3UAAOSwhcJWHyJq
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: Signed Black Reserve Note Private Reserve - $1000 on eBay..?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Signed Black Reserve Note Private Reserve on eBay for $1k, probably the most I have ever seen asked for a modern deck. I wasn't part of the original campaign, so I'm not privy to much info on the Private Reserves, were there really so few of them to command that high of an asking price?

There was a 1,000 + overrun but from my understanding, there was a significant number that where damaged. They where $40 on the origanal KS project. For me, that was a hard trigger to pull then. I almost backed out several times. Glad I didn't. I don't think I could get $1,000 for mine, and I don't think this guy will either. But they are worth considerably more than $40.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

There was a 1,000 + overrun but from my understanding, there was a significant number that where damaged. They where $40 on the origanal KS project. For me, that was a hard trigger to pull then. I almost backed out several times. Glad I didn't. I don't think I could get $1,000 for mine, and I don't think this guy will either. But they are worth considerably more than $40.

That is just for the Black Reserve Note though, correct? Those are numbered x/1000, these aren't numbered but are labeled 'Private reserve'? Is that not a different reward?

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:35:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Actually, as I recall it, the black, unbranded Reserve Note deck was scarce because USPC allows in its contracts a margin of error of +/-10% on the total, and this time it was deep into the minus end, barely more than 90% of what was ordered.  Jackson barely had enough decks to meet the demand of the KS project.

As far as "Private Reserve," I'm really not certain - perhaps Jackson will chime in on it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

That is just for the Black Reserve Note though, correct? Those are numbered x/1000, these aren't numbered but are labeled 'Private reserve'? Is that not a different reward?

I went and dug mine out. You are correct. I'm not sure about that one. It wasn't part of the KS campaign. I've got one that is numbered, and one with no cello- hand signed with a red gas mask seal. 

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »

cardician

• 52 Plus Joker Member
It's been relisted for $850.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221920097337?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Still a little high regardless if it's a "Private Reserve" or not.  I understand decks in-crease in value, but that's an over kill for that deck. 

He recently PM me and was willing to trade a sealed Microsoft Deck for this....

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

That's actually an interesting trade offer. I'll keep my opinions about it to myself, but it's interesting.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 07:11:48 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

That's actually an interesting trade offer. I'll keep my opinions about it to myself, but it's interesting.

I would keep the Microsoft deck. While the Private Reserve may be very rare, it's still basicly a standard reserve note with a special sticker. Those do come up for sale from time to time. I've only seen the Microsoft deck come up for sale once or twice.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »

Ashe Ferall

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
It's been relisted for $850.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221920097337?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Still a little high regardless if it's a "Private Reserve" or not.  I understand decks in-crease in value, but that's an over kill for that deck. 

dudes, good that I have made the headlines (always wanted to)
but shouldn't we keep some trade talks under some kind of gentlemen confidentiality?
EDIT: for confidialtity
don't think it's then quite fair to say that it's overkill for a deck when yourself has quoted such a price on most of your decks?

again price is quite subjective as some may argue as to why a scarlett JR legacy is going for $500? or the microsoft deck for that matter.

anyways, i think the topic is going out of line and even though i do respect your opinions on this matter shouldn't this forum or thread be around playing cards rather than sticking it to someone (who you assume is not part of the forum) who has 'outpriced' his deck?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:05:05 PM by Ashe Ferall »

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I would keep the Microsoft deck. While the Private Reserve may be very rare, it's still basicly a standard reserve note with a special sticker. Those do come up for sale from time to time. I've only seen the Microsoft deck come up for sale once or twice.

While the Black Unbranded Reserve Note deck is in general the rarer of the two issues, having the shorter print run, the Blaine deck was never made available at retail sale and likely never will be.  I also have a preference for the Blaine deck, I should add.  Aside from after-market, the only way to get a Blaine Microsoft deck would be to have been a Microsoft intern attending the end-of-summer party in 2014 or to receive one as a gift from either the man himself or the man who made the decks for him.

They're a lot less likely to see much movement in the after-market because most of the people who obtained them either have no idea of or interest in their value and/or tore them open and started using them like any other ordinary deck of cards.  As such, despite the larger print run, there are probably fewer intact boxes in new condition remaining than there would be of any of Jackson Robinson's decks and those that do remain aren't likely to hit the market any time soon, being either cherished heirlooms to a few or neglected and forgotten souvenirs to many who received them.

That, and even at $850, I think that Black URN deck's a little too overpriced!  It is, as far as I can tell, a case where the Private Reserve are simply unserial-numbered decks, overage from the 1,000-deck numbered limited edition, that were set aside and specially labeled by Jackson himself.  So as noted, they are still the same exact cards from the same exact print run.

anyways, i think the topic is going out of line and even though i do respect your opinions on this matter shouldn't this forum or thread be around playing cards rather than sticking it to someone (who you assume is not part of the forum) who has 'outpriced' his deck?

Ashe, no one is trying to "stick it to you" in any way.  We're offering our opinions on the subject of the sale - and opinions are often worth the paper they aren't printed on.  One person's trash is another's treasure, beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder, etc.  The auction was an outlier, a modern deck being offered initially for a four-figure sum, and as such became the topic of much conversation - and understandably so.

In the end, it is indeed a private transaction between buyer and seller, but (until you revealed them) we were not privy to any of the private details of the deal.  You really tipped your own hand here more than anyone else did, my friend!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:49:41 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »

Ashe Ferall

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Don,
Thanks dude, sorry for that just emo! lol.

Neways just to be clear I'm putting the deck up high to attract attention to other decks I have on offer which are priced to sell (clearing).

Appreciate this topic closed moved out.

Thanks

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

I agree, an Ebay listing is probably a topic for Conversation Parlor. This doesn't really seem the place for it, but that's just my opinion. Regardless of who listed what on Ebay, I had no idea since I never looked, a conversation about price on rare decks is a good conversation to have once in a while. A signed Black Reserve Note Private Reserve deck is absolutely a rare deck.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I agree, an Ebay listing is probably a topic for Conversation Parlor. This doesn't really seem the place for it, but that's just my opinion. Regardless of who listed what on Ebay, I had no idea since I never looked, a conversation about price on rare decks is a good conversation to have once in a while. A signed Black Reserve Note Private Reserve deck is absolutely a rare deck.

This would be the better place for such a discussion.  Years from now, it will provide context for the deck's value and perception at this point in time and by this community when people search for information about it.  As such, it has merit and belongs in a board where posts are counted towards one's total, indicating their contributions to the overall knowledge base.  Conversation Parlor topics are not counted as such as they can be about any non-cards topic one chooses, though cards do occasionally fall into the mix.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 09:39:42 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Don,

Neways just to be clear I'm putting the deck up high to attract attention to other decks I have on offer which are priced to sell (clearing).

Thanks

I would agree that the trade talk probably should have been kept private, but your admission that you overpriced an item to bring more attention to your other sales does not set well with me. For that alone I would never buy an item from you. I'm not sure what your idea of "priced to sell" is, but all your items look overpriced to me.

As far as closing this topic- not going to happen. If you want to read censored material- go to the other forum. We don't do that here.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
anyways, i think the topic is going out of line and even though i do respect your opinions on this matter shouldn't this forum or thread be around playing cards rather than sticking it to someone

Hey Ashe, I definitely didn't mean to offend by my original post, and I hope that I haven't. But I thought this was a worth while post related to playing cards, and would spark an interesting conversation about rarity vs. value I was very interested in other peoples perspective on, and to address both my intent to post about the public online transaction and the board I chose to post to.
Just wanted to apologize toward you feeling like I had crossed a line.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:35:44 AM by Justin O. »

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »

cardician

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Don,

Thanks

I would agree that the trade talk probably should have been kept private, but your admission that you overpriced an item to bring more attention to your other sales does not set well with me. For that alone I would never buy an item from you. I'm not sure what your idea of "priced to sell" is, but all your items look overpriced to me.

As far as closing this topic- not going to happen. If you want to read censored material- go to the other forum. We don't do that here.

Rob, well said!

Personally, I do think anyone saying they overpriced an item to attract buyers is a low blow.  I mean, I have listed items that I want a certain value for, and if they never sell due to that reason alone then that's something I can live with because I am in no hurry to sell any of my rare decks.  Just put them out there for people to know it's available, most have options for offers...

Ashe,
I wasn't meaning to offend you by any means. 
Gentlemen confidentiality...  Does that even exist these days  ???
I did want others to know that your deck was available for trade against a Microsoft deck that you previously inquired about.  I'm sorry if you feel that our conversation should've been kept quite, but look at the discussion that became of it.  I personally wouldn't feel any shame or anger if someone mention about a deck I was "willing" to sell or let go in a trade.  Listing a disclosed price on the other hand would be my issue.

Sorry if I offended you by saying your price is or was an overkill....  But common, $1000.00 for a deck!!!  Not sure if your intention was to attract buyers or make them laugh... :)

Until next time....

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Gentlemen confidentiality...  Does that even exist these days  ???

Sure it does - but not on a website that's accessible from any Internet-connected computer in the world.  He posted the sale on eBay, not under a shady tree in the school yard!  (And as a side note, your grammar and punctuation is atrocious!)

EBay is a free marketplace.  He charged a price that even he considered high - but he would have been thrilled if someone had paid it, that's for certain.  It attracted enough attention to start negotiations for trading for another rare deck, the Blaine Microsoft deck.  I might consider it overpriced, you might consider it overpriced, but without a free marketplace with people asking for whatever prices they want or think they can get, exactly how is price determined?  What sets the worth of the deck?

Someone else might think that's a bargain and be happy to pay it - and if so, more power to them.  If enough people agree with us, though, the item goes unsold, the auction ends and the item may return at a lower price.  Eventually, if this becomes a repeating pattern, the price goes down to a point that is reasonable for someone and it sells - unless we're talking about an item so valueless that it will never sell at any price.

I don't need to explain to you how a free marketplace works.  Pricing strategies are nothing new, though they typically work in the other direction, like the loss leader - a supermarket that sells pumpkins at Halloween so cheaply, they're losing money on them, but they make up for it because the pumpkins get customers into the store and it's only the rare customer that only buys the pumpkins and not the other items in stock.

I worked for a fruit & vegetable stand in my teens whose owner lamented the pricing tactic - one nearby store was selling them for a penny a pound, far below the wholesale price he was paying to get them from farmers, so while the supermarket pumpkins attracted customers, his only attracted vermin while they rotted on the shelves.  What he should have done instead was fight fire with fire - sell his for a penny per two pounds (or even for free!) for any customer spending a few bucks on something else he offered, like the apple cider, apples, potatoes, etc.  His competitor was a larger supermarket, seemingly better able to afford the loss, but supermarkets tend to operate on very tight margins - my suggested tactic might have boosted his business enough to allow him to absorb the loss and attract customers away from the supermarket.

This pricing tactic is the opposite, but not entirely invalid.  We're here talking up a storm about his sale - and who among us took the time to click through to his profile at eBay and look at his other offerings?  If you did, his tactic succeeded, even more so if you actually bought something he was selling.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 09:28:24 PM »

cardician

• 52 Plus Joker Member
(And as a side note, your grammar and punctuation is atrocious!)

Thank you,!...%*+^

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I thought I would offer up a little insight to the discussion.

The "Private Reserve" was separate from the Labeled 1000 decks
The Private Reserve, if memory serves was a very small run, in the hundreds.

Also, the Branded Black Reserve Note and the Unbranded do not have the same cards in them.........The Unbranded has the Black Backs, while the Branded has the same deck as the Reserve Note.

As for Value, I think we as individuals need to set that determination based on what we feel about a deck. Personally, the perceived value of a deck is the last thing I would look at when wanting to add something to my collection, and that means passing sometimes............ie, as a collector a JNugg should be in my collection, but I can't justify the price...........my opinion of course ;)

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Also, the Branded Black Reserve Note and the Unbranded do not have the same cards in them.........The Unbranded has the Black Backs, while the Branded has the same deck as the Reserve Note.

I never realized that the Branded and Unbranded decks were actually a different set of cards. Oh that I could go back in time and not have passed this project up. I was foolish, and new to playing cards...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:00:50 PM by Justin O. »

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 11:19:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I never realized that the Branded and Unbranded decks were actually a different set of cards. Oh that I could go back in time and not have passed this project up. I was foolish, and new to playing cards...

It's true what they say - hindsight is 20/20.  Foresight is blind as an eyeless bat...you only hit something if you're lucky!  :))

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 01:54:05 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer

I get a bit confused about these but I can say that I have #10 of 500 in the Private Reserve with a nice silver seal & Jackson's name signed. So definitely 500 for that one.
Then the branded Black Reserve Note I have says there were 1550 - with a similar seal.
The unnumbered Private Reserve, red seal, I have has the Black back [as mentioned above]
hope this helps with the numbers.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 07:08:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I get a bit confused about these but I can say that I have #10 of 500 in the Private Reserve with a nice silver seal & Jackson's name signed. So definitely 500 for that one.
Then the branded Black Reserve Note I have says there were 1550 - with a similar seal.
The unnumbered Private Reserve, red seal, I have has the Black back [as mentioned above]
hope this helps with the numbers.

It's possible he was allowed to make a very short run on the black-backed cards because they share the same face with the "regular" Reserve Note decks.  I've heard of USPC giving discounts in similar cases, so the thought of them allowing a short run on a deck sharing the same face as another, in essence making it a part of the same print run (at least for the faces), wouldn't be out of the question.  It still doesn't tell us, though, precisely how many Private Reserve decks exist in the Reserve Note print run, but it's not the first time someone had to determine the value of a deck without knowing the actual size of the print run.  Many producers rarely release the print run numbers, intentionally.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 01:50:14 AM »

Yin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
It was only yesterday that I realized that the Black Reserve Note decks I received were kinda different. Been a while since I got them so I was a bit curious about the price, so I did a search. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the decks I have didn't have the number printed on the hologram like in the pictures that I saw. For example, 1xxx/1550 or 3xx/1000. All mine has is Jackson's hologram with signature printed on, with the Black Reserve Note words on it and a hand written number. I received my decks as rewards for pledging during the kickstarter campaign. Does anyone has these?

Thank you,

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 05:48:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just for clarity's sake, I'm posting the photos here since photos at eBay have a tendency to disappear after a number of weeks after the auction/sale.  It's now selling with a "Buy It Now" of $850 and a "Make Offer" option.  Still sounds high to me.

Yin, do your decks look EXACTLY like this, A LITTLE like this or NOT AT ALL like this?