You are Here:
52+J 2015 Convention - THE CLUB DECK

Author (Read 9997 times)

Re: 52+J 2015 Convention - THE CLUB DECK
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 07:29:28 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I didn't care for the 52+J deck last year (I eBayed off the gold edition ones that I got from LPCC)... but this one, I really like!

Tuck looks really awesome! Even Jackson's Liberty deck looks really cool.

This year, the decks really are looking great :D
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
are the rest of the decks gonna be release for the club members as well? if so where can we get them?

Yes. There is probably a link on the 52+Joker website already. Only for members at this time. From my understanding they will go on sale to the public in about a month at an increased price. We all know Paul's decks tend to sell quickly, so if you are a member of 52+J and want one. I'd suggest you order them soon.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Well...

I guess i will have to join the club then...

only a question... Is this the only deck available for members in the club store?

Form Follows Function

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Well...

I guess i will have to join the club then...

only a question... Is this the only deck available for members in the club store?

I'm pretty sure the 2014 club deck is available. Also some other items available for purchase like the Hochman Encyclopedia/price guide, Club pack jackets (I like them a lot myself), and some free Ask Alexander access at CARC too.

Edit: Forgot to mention the monthly E-Zine Card Culture, the quarterly publication Clear the Decks, and access to the Spring Auction. All of which are a lot of fun in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:40:24 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »

cardician

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I joined the club, paid my dues and got all the responding emails from Steve & Tom.

I just don't have access to the link Lee Asher supplied link or see anywhere else you purchase the decks from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to purchase before they sell out at memberships price.

This is the message that comes up for me:
- You do not have access to view this tab within the portal.-

Thanks,
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:40:10 PM by ♣️♥️ double_left ♠️♦️ »

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2015, 03:15:16 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
I joined the club, paid my dues and got all the responding emails from Steve & Tom.

I just don't have access to the link Lee Asher supplied link or see anywhere else you purchase the decks from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to purchase before they sell out at memberships price.

This is the message that comes up for me:
- You do not have access to view this tab within the portal.-

Thanks,

Thanks for joining! I've emailed you the link, so you can get a hold of some club decks. Let me know if you have any issues. Same goes for anyone else...

Have issues? Email me or PM me. I'm right here to help.

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 08:46:20 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
are the rest of the decks gonna be release for the club members as well? if so where can we get them?

Yes. There is probably a link on the 52+Joker website already. Only for members at this time. From my understanding they will go on sale to the public in about a month at an increased price. We all know Paul's decks tend to sell quickly, so if you are a member of 52+J and want one. I'd suggest you order them soon.

I checked the website, only club deck is available.. I really wanted to get the rest of the deck too... like the liberty and Zen
Back for more

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 12:44:49 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

I checked the website, only club deck is available.. I really wanted to get the rest of the deck too... like the liberty and Zen

The club only sells club decks.
I'm not sure when the rest will be available, but they will be on there websites. Liberty is Gamblers Warehouse. Royal Red Zen and Liars & Thieves from Conjuring Arts(EPCC), and Honeybee & White Tally Ho from Penguin Magic. My deck will be available starting Monday
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 01:06:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Rob is indeed correct.  I intentionally left out release dates because frankly, some of the decks don't have firm release dates yet.  For example, I don't think the Tally Ho in white will be available until sometime NEXT year, probably in the first half of the year (and yes, that's the best I can narrow it down - ask Penguin Magic if you want more information, or simply be patient and they'll tell you, since it's hardly some state secret they're trying to hide)!

Keep your eyes open, keep up on the forum - best advice I can give you!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 01:44:38 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
It stands to reason that only 52+Joker items would be available for purchase from the club. It's not a store, it's a club. There really is a lot the club has to offer though, not being a store. If you're thinking about joining the club I think anyone who likes playing cards will enjoy the 52+Joker club, I have had zero regrets about joining and will very likely be a member for the rest of my life.

The half brick box for this year's club deck is pretty damn cool looking! I like how it opens up wider than the box is closed so you can easily pull out a tuck to pop open and have a game with. Really fun design there. Does the box say 52+Joker anywhere on it by the way? Would be cool if there was a little something there as my club decks get used up it can house the one hold back from each year in 52+J style sort of thing.

Just a little comment from the side here for any member who's been eyeing a something from my collection. I'm smitten with those Honeybee and Liars and Thieves decks -wink wink-. :))
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 03:31:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It stands to reason that only 52+Joker items would be available for purchase from the club. It's not a store, it's a club. There really is a lot the club has to offer though, not being a store. If you're thinking about joining the club I think anyone who likes playing cards will enjoy the 52+Joker club, I have had zero regrets about joining and will very likely be a member for the rest of my life.

The half brick box for this year's club deck is pretty damn cool looking! I like how it opens up wider than the box is closed so you can easily pull out a tuck to pop open and have a game with. Really fun design there. Does the box say 52+Joker anywhere on it by the way? Would be cool if there was a little something there as my club decks get used up it can house the one hold back from each year in 52+J style sort of thing.

Just a little comment from the side here for any member who's been eyeing a something from my collection. I'm smitten with those Honeybee and Liars and Thieves decks -wink wink-. :))

Not sure about the box - to be honest, I've been so busy, I haven't even had a chance to give it a close look.  When Paul returns home from the convention, I'm sure he'll be happy to chime in about it.

You might want to hold back more decks this time.  According to Lee, we sold more 2015 club decks in the first 48 hours than we sold of the 2014 decks over the entire previous year.  Now, we nearly sold out the 500-deck print run of the 2104 deck - we estimate there's significantly less than 100 left.  Even if sales slow down a bit, there's a distinct chance the 2015 deck's entire 1000-unit print run will sell out before the public has access in about a month.

In short, do not hesitate if you desire this deck.  He who hesitates is lost, as the saying goes...

An FYI on pricing - the deck will be more expensive to non-members, assuming any are left, when they are made available to the public.  There's going to be a little bulk discounting for both members and non-members, but members will get steeper discounts and the cost of two decks at the non-member price will be equal to a year's membership AND two decks at the member price.  It seems silly not to join if you want more than a single deck!  If one insists on not joining, however, and wants to buy two or more of the club decks from this year's run, we're more than happy to relieve them of that extra cash that's been weighing down their pants...  :))

Hecrob, if you haven't already, check out the free issue of our digital monthly magazine, CARD CULTURE, which we distributed recently.  It's more than just a sample of what we publish.  There's an advertisement on the back page that lists the benefits of membership - there's no card collectors' club out there that gives you better bang for the buck, I can assure you!

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 09:12:28 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
The half brick box just has Expert and the genie on it. I would bet that Bill plans to sell them on Conjuring Arts with some of his other card projects.

Not to keep slamming this down everybody's throat, but I predict a very fast sell out once this goes public. 2 Reasons- #1 reason is Paul Carpenter. #2 reason is the price difference per deck when buying the 6 pack compared to a single is huge. I would bet that more people will buy 6 packs then singles or doubles combined.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 10:43:53 PM »

Encarded Inc.

• We make cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
It really is a no brainer in my opinion to just join the club. There are many benefits beyond the deck, and getting the deck at a much better price is just icing on the cake.

In no way am I getting to be smug or anything, but remember that the 1000 deck run of Zenith sold or in less than 2 days, so the club really is the best way to make sure you get this special deck (and it really did turn out very pretty...)

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
What is the significance of the 10 and 11 on the card backs?

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
What is the significance of the 10 and 11 on the card backs?

it's a partial view of a clock face, with "52" replacing the normal 12. I could come up with some complex bs but it's really quite simple. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 06:51:34 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Are the diamonds supposed to be a different color than the hearts? My diamonds are fuscia and my hearts are red. Looks odd.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Are the diamonds supposed to be a different color than the hearts? My diamonds are fuscia and my hearts are red. Looks odd.

It's actually a four-color deck, with the colors for traditionally red and black suits being VERY close to each other, more close in the case of the black suits - they're very slightly different shades of gray.  It allows use as a "no-revoke" deck while not being entirely alien for use in games like solitaire.  I've advised some card designers in the past to do something similar when they wanted to make a four-color deck - they tend to be less popular than traditional two-color decks, but for some people, especially those with failing vision, a four-color deck is easier to use.  It's why Bicycle's EZ-See Lo-Vision deck is now a four-color deck and has been for many years, though they use a combination of two-color and four-color patterns on the faces.

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 08:06:10 AM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
In a lot of trick-taking games, a "revoke" is playing the wrong card when you are suppose to follow suit. It's considered a form of cheating, whether deliberate or accidental, and the side that is caught can be penalized. Players of bridge and skat often use "no-revoke" four-color decks to avoid this. One method is to use strongly contrasting colors like light orange, blue, or green however this might not work with people who are colorblind. It's very commonly used in online poker too.

For people that play a lot of different card games, this can be problematic as some games have the suits paired by color like in canasta or euchre. Others just simply dislike the radical departure from tradition. Compromise decks use different shades of red and black as middle ground.

From the picture, I don't see any differences between the two jokers. A few games use differentiated jokers. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen fuschia for diamonds but give one of the red suits a darker "security ink" shade.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2015, 07:26:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

From the picture, I don't see any differences between the two jokers. A few games use differentiated jokers. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen fuschia for diamonds but give one of the red suits a darker "security ink" shade.

I think that the idea was to have two different colors but to not make them TOO different from each other, a compromise between a radically four-color deck and a traditional two-color deck.  The shades of gray used for clubs and spades is VERY close to each other - I have a hard time telling them apart by color alone, but to my eye, the spades are slightly darker than the clubs, though that could also be a visual trick due to the clubs having more negative space around the border of the pip.  The reds are clearly different, but very similar in terms of brightness and both being in the "red" family, orange and fuchsia.

The jokers do appear identical - some games require different jokers, some require identical jokers, but most require no jokers at all.  My preference in a deck, actually, is three jokers - two identical, one different.  Few decks have this combination, though.

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 08:03:05 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
There is a strong argument for having the four colors distinctive from one another as the idea was to help people avoid errors, so the closer the colors, the less effective the solution.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Regarding sales of the club deck, we had to institute a limit on all purchases.  We are limiting total purchases to not more than 12 decks per member.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 06:43:30 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Gotta give mad props to Mr. Carpenter, absolutely beautiful design :)