You are Here:
New Beautiful Macabre Deck

Author (Read 6932 times)

New Beautiful Macabre Deck
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:42:32 PM »

darkmatter

• Newcomer
Hello All,

I will be releasing my first deck in about a month.. so here is a sneak preview. If you have any questions, please drop me a line in this thread. I hope some of you get as excited about this deck as I am.

~ Mat

p.s. You can download the image to see the cards in higher resolution if the image is displaying small in your browser.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:56:18 AM by darkmatter »
My first deck release "Vellichor" is now available at darkmattercards.com

Re: New Beautiful Macabre Deck
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 06:02:23 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Website not up yet?

I love the theme, but a bit tired and never got into steampunk/cthulu/octopus thing.  Still, if the price is good the rest will has me VERY interested.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Very interesting deck. Love the art, but his fundamentals are wrong. The index is left to right not up and down like normal playing cards.  The goal is have as many playing cards in your hand as possible.  You decrease it.  Not good.   Also, you should not have images go into the cut border unless all of them do so in the same spot.  Don would say it's a marked deck and I have to agree...

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Very interesting deck. Love the art, but his fundamentals are wrong. The index is left to right not up and down like normal playing cards.  The goal is have as many playing cards in your hand as possible.  You decrease it.  Not good.   Also, you should not have images go into the cut border unless all of them do so in the same spot.  Don would say it's a marked deck and I have to agree...

You can't line the border with the Joker?  Yes, you can...

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:46:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm looking at the artwork presented and I find myself forced to ask: have you ever seen a deck of cards before?  Have you ever used playing cards?  I see artwork for what might be as many as four or five entirely DIFFERENT decks here, not one single deck with a unified design.  I also see design elements that appear specifically meant to make the cards as difficult as humanly possible to use in a practical setting of any kind, be it magic, a card game, cardistry, whatever.  I see a tuck box that's not only out of proportion to the cards that are supposed to go into it, but one that's devoid of an apparent opening!

I feel like I'm watching a truck filled with fine china, steel ball bearings and explosives stalling out just as it's reached the halfway point over the train tracks while the traffic barriers are coming down and the train is merely seconds away...  I want to look away, but something is compelling me to watch...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:07:25 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I was hoping it was different versions of the deck, but is it just a single deck and the suits are that different? That won't do as well, but with change it could be a few decks. As an art deck it would be neat as is, but it kills the size of market.

I wasn't going to say anything until I heard more, but if that is the deck I hope you listen and make changes because I want this to happen and be the best it can be. That will also make it a success.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:10:59 AM »

darkmatter

• Newcomer
I believe I can answer everyone's questions in one reply.

1. Yes I have used a deck of cards before. I am a (humble) magician and a collector of cards myself. I just simply decided to not follow any of the standard rules and ideas we have about what a deck of cards has to be. I did whatever I wanted with face cards and aces but all marker cards are standard within their own suit. This deck is not perfect for every situation obviously, but it was meant as an "art deck" if you will.... and to bring a little personality to the right kind of card tricks.

2. Each suit has a theme:
Hearts - Victorian Era Anatomy
Spades - Victorian Era advertising
Clubs - bizarre Victorian Era story telling
Diamonds - Victorian Era nature illustrations

3. The joker and the 666 of clubs are intended for use with an Erdnase Change, paintbrush change or some other equivalent.

4. My favorite cards are the heart face cards. The king bleeds hearts from being stabbed in the back by the queen... and the queen holds hands with the jack of hearts across cards.

5. As for the box, the image is a digital mockup of the actual tuck box, it of course has an opening on the back side with the deformed skull. I will add photos of the deck to this thread once the decks arrive.

6. Any card that appears out of line (such as the joker) is a result of angling the cards in the graphic design of my ad.

Hope that clears things up a little in terms of my thinking behind this deck and it's intentions.

~ Mat

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:54:37 AM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
I love your artwork, it's very imaginative and macabre. There's been a few macabre decks recently (with slight Lovecraftian themes especially), but I think you could have a great deck on your hands... or decks actually. This really should be four separate decks, in my opinion. This would make a great series of decks if you just fleshed each suit out into its own deck.

Another small thing I noticed was that the Diamonds suit doesn't have any diamonds in the indices. I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:24:16 AM »

darkmatter

• Newcomer
I love your artwork, it's very imaginative and macabre. There's been a few macabre decks recently (with slight Lovecraftian themes especially), but I think you could have a great deck on your hands... or decks actually. This really should be four separate decks, in my opinion. This would make a great series of decks if you just fleshed each suit out into its own deck.

Another small thing I noticed was that the Diamonds suit doesn't have any diamonds in the indices. I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not.
The diamonds do have diamonds in the indices, but they are actually added into the font.

I have included a few closeups on the cards to make it clear what they look like... sorry about the watermark but I'm sure you guys understand why. You can download the image if it shows up small or chopped off in your browser.. it has plenty of resolution to see the cards quite clearly.

I would have loved to make it a 4 deck series but I simply don't have the time. I did this for my love of cards and design. I am a Visual FX artist by trade so I'm not looking to make a killing on these cards... already have a job :)... I actually was going to make this deck just for myself but thought I'd print 100 decks and see what interest there was in the card community.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:30:38 AM by darkmatter »

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
So does that mean you are self funding it and selling directly, no crowdfunding? That also means when it's available in August it will ship right away?

What about website, when will that be up?

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »

darkmatter

• Newcomer
So does that mean you are self funding it and selling directly, no crowdfunding? That also means when it's available in August it will ship right away?

What about website, when will that be up?

Yes this deck is self funded. It is in production at this very moment. I will be selling the decks directly on darkmattercards.com and on Etsy, Ebay etc. The decks will be available and ship shortly after I receive them. I believe I will be taking payments through Paypal only but am still figuring out my e-commerce options. I will be offering the deck at a discounted rate to those that order directly from my site because I don't have to pay fees on top of that as I will on sites like ebay and etsy.

I'll have my price points sorted out shortly as well.. I will update here with all that info.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Did I miss somewhere where it said who the printer is?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 01:18:34 PM »

darkmatter

• Newcomer

MPC is the printer.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
MPC is the printer.

Ahh... makeplayingcards.com.. I should have known. When someone lists the paper weight, but doesn't list the printer it is always makeplayingcards.com. If it was a worthwhile printing company, not a tchotchke printer, they would boast the name of the company. I guess with such a small print run you really don't have a lot of options though.

Is all of the artwork your own?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This isn't a functional deck - it's straight-up an art deck.  Less a pack of cards, more a pile of little artworks.  As such, you can break pretty much every rule you want in card design and it really doesn't matter.

But to use MPC as your printer?  Big mistake.  They're fine for prototyping, but nearly every deck I've seen made by them has had the colors reproduced darker than the artwork, and it's difficult-to-impossible to adjust for it.  An art deck needs a high-grade art printer, not a digital press.

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Perhaps advice is to first do a SMALL print run first then.  I would say MPC has greatly improved though and people are willing to get decks from them provided the prices for decks from them are in line.  Anything more then $12/deck isn't justified unless it's from a major printer (USPCC or maybe EPCC/LPCC), which will be even more critical since you have a limited pool of interested people from it not being a functional deck.

That said, personally I love this and unless you screw up the price I'm in even with the issues and concerns.  I still would have much rather seen a set of decks each with their own style.  Perhaps something to consider in the future if this first set goes well.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Interesting deck... actually I am liking the art works on this deck. Not for magic or cardistry though.. simply art just like Stranger and Stranger Ultimate Deck.
Back for more

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 09:22:52 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
darkmatter - So, basically the red rank of the card without the suit index is the diamond.  I see your logic.  Yes ,it seems you made a good art deck.  You can break any and all the rules.   I can't really bitch about anything.  Just know that your victorian art is good.  I like them bones.  If you tweaked your deck and made it playable, you would have many more customers.   You see, the cards must be identifiable up close and at a distance for it to be playable...  Good luck in August.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:24:39 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »

darkmatter

• Newcomer
darkmatter - So, basically the red rank of the card without the suit index is the diamond.  I see your logic.  Yes ,it seems you made a good art deck.  You can break any and all the rules.   I can't really bitch about anything.  Just know that your victorian art is good.  I like them bones.  If you tweaked your deck and made it playable, you would have many more customers.   You see, the cards must be identifiable up close and at a distance for it to be playable...  Good luck in August.

Check out the second image I posted in this thread, the suit index is incorporated in the font rather than an independent pip.... the second image shows that clearly I believe.

~ Mat

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »

darkmatter

• Newcomer
darkmattercards.com is still under construction but it is up and kinda' running.

If you would like to reserve a deck(s) for yourself, just click the "Order your deck" button at the top and follow the instructions. There is no deposit required to reserve your deck.

~ Thanks
Mat
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:12:54 PM by darkmatter »

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
This has some great art work. The deck is playable........just not as easy as rider backs. That's not really a concern with this deck. As others have said. It's an art deck. Most people will not be playing with it. I wouldn't so much have a problem with MPC on this type of deck, except for two things. First, short run pricing usually means an overpriced deck. Second the vibrant colors of the diamonds will not be so vibrant. The dark colors will bleed into each other, and make the picture look like a dark blob. I hope I'm wrong. I'd be willing to pay a little extra if they turn out like what we see so far.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:14:00 PM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 01:48:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This has some great art work. The deck is playable........just not as easy as rider backs. That's not really a concern with this deck. As others have said. It's an art deck. Most people will not be playing with it. I wouldn't so much have a problem with MPC on this type of deck, except for two things. First, short run pricing usually means an overpriced deck. Second the vibrant colors of the diamonds will not be so vibrant. The dark colors will bleed into each other, and make the picture look like a dark blob. I hope I'm wrong. I'd be willing to pay a little extra if they turn out like what we see so far.

But there lies the problem - MPC doesn't reproduce colors as well as other presses do.  It will be darker and muddier than what you see, which for the most part is pretty dark to start with.

Not easily playable?  Understatement of the year!  One suit - just one - has pips buried inside the value font!  Crazy design - awesome for people who love outrĂ© artwork, terrible for a game of Go Fish and intolerable for poker.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 11:46:21 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

But there lies the problem - MPC doesn't reproduce colors as well as other presses do.  It will be darker and muddier than what you see, which for the most part is pretty dark to start with.

Not easily playable?  Understatement of the year!  One suit - just one - has pips buried inside the value font!  Crazy design - awesome for people who love outrĂ© artwork, terrible for a game of Go Fish and intolerable for poker.

I don't think he is worried about people playing games with this deck. We've seen hundreds of decks based on an art style, that you wouldn't play with. This is also not a deck geared towards magic or cardistry. That's why I would give this deck a pass on playability and handling. I agree with the you that most likely the artwork will turn dark and muddy. While MPC is known for this, they are not the only companies this happens to. I've received a few decks from USPCC that muddied out as well. I think part of it is the artist. It seams to happen when you have a lot of dark colors shading into each other. You can see the distinction between the shades on the original work, but it all gets lost in the final product.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »

darkmatter

• Newcomer
I doubt the cards in this deck will get too muddy. This tends to happen when you have soft gradients in your image and the printer used cannot reproduce the small variances in value between the pixels. Nearly all of the toning in this deck is done with solid black lines or pointillism also known as stippling.... As a result the cards mainly contain solid black lines and dots to create the illusion of shading. So if MPC can print black... we should be good to go. If the color saturation is lessened by their printing process I'll be pretty pissed... but let's just hope for the best. In the end it's just a deck of cards I had fun making and wanted to share. I assure you I want this deck to look as good in actuality as the digital cards I created.

I only have 39 decks left at this point, all the rest have been reserved... so if you are interested in this deck please reserve one before they are all gone.

Again... this can be done at darkmattercards.com - click the "order your deck" button and follow instructions. I might be doing a run of uncut sheets here shortly depending on the interest level. If you are interested just follow the same instructions for ordering a deck... but ask to be added to the uncut sheet list. If i get enough people interested I'll do one run of these.

Thanks,
Mat
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:43:45 PM by darkmatter »

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 11:28:46 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
You talked me into it. I'm in for 1. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB