Magicians Anonymous Playing Cards

Author (Read 1867 times)

Magicians Anonymous Playing Cards
« on: June 18, 2015, 01:37:10 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Anyone here know anything about "Magicians Anonymous Playing Cards"

I saw this on my local magic shop, but I have no Idea about this deck.

I am not sure who created this, all I know it is printed by USPCC with Magic Finish

Quoted from the website

"Magician's Anonymous Playing Cards

Designed by magician anonymous. These simplistic yet iconic back designs are perfect for everyday workers and card collectors. Made by the U.S. Playing card company and with magic finish, these cards are the top of the line."

Back for more

Re: Magicians Anonymous Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Never heard of them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
From what I've been able to find, these where released in the last few days, but that's all I got.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:22:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wow.  Five years ago, that would have been a great deck.  Today, it barely raises a yawn.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 09:47:30 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I like the company name, "Magicians Anonymous". Its not a theme deck, its a company signature deck. They produce a trick called "tremble".

$7.77 / a deck. USPCC, Looks highly collectible to me.

http://www.magictrickstore.com/magicians-anonymous-playing-cards-playing-cards-p-47069.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:01:45 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like the company name, "Magicians Anonymous". Its not a theme deck, its a company signature deck. They produce a trick called "tremble".

http://www.magictrickstore.com/magicians-anonymous-playing-cards-playing-cards-p-47069.html

If Ellusionist came out with a deck that had the company name on the back and standard faces, there would be many who thought of it as collectible, but I think many more would find it boring compared to their previous and recent decks.  It's why their signature deck is Artifice (no deck they made before had such variety), T11's is Monarchs (variety PLUS featured in a major motion picture about magic) and D&D's was the Smoke & Mirrors line.  D&D did the "company name" thing, sort of, but kept unique faces until their final release (which sold nowhere near as well as they'd hoped, I'm sure).  A year-and-a-half after release, S&M v7 boxed set is still available, while versions 1-6 all sold out in just a few days at the longest.

http://shop.dananddave.com/smoke-and-mirrors-deluxe-box-set.html  <--  It's still on sale!  Longest run of any D&D decks, ever.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

If Ellusionist came out with a deck that had the company name on the back and standard faces, there would be many who thought of it as collectible, but I think many more would find it boring compared to their previous and recent decks.  It's why their signature deck is Artifice (no deck they made before had such variety), T11's is Monarchs (variety PLUS featured in a major motion picture about magic) and D&D's was the Smoke & Mirrors line.  D&D did the "company name" thing, sort of, but kept unique faces until their final release (which sold nowhere near as well as they'd hoped, I'm sure).  A year-and-a-half after release, S&M v7 boxed set is still available, while versions 1-6 all sold out in just a few days at the longest.

http://shop.dananddave.com/smoke-and-mirrors-deluxe-box-set.html  <--  It's still on sale!  Longest run of any D&D decks, ever.

"D&D Deluxe S&M" 10,000 print run is more then enough. They also sold decks individually. I would not call this a failure by any stretch.

Ellusionist's/Madison signature decks are the Artiface/Ghosts and Rounders. However, if Ellusionist had released an E deck, I'm sure it also would do very well.

Had to blow some dust off my account! 😮💨
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:07:01 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 12:38:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

"D&D Deluxe S&M" 10,000 print run is more then enough. They also sold decks individually. I would not call this a failure by any stretch.

Ellusionist's/Madison signature decks are the Artiface/Ghosts and Rounders. However, if Ellusionist had released an E deck, I'm sure it also would do very well.

D&D rarely release figures as to how many decks get printed.  I've heard it said that they were making five-figure print runs on the color series of S&M decks (v4-6) because the popularity had grown so much, and they sold out fast enough to make my head spin - days, if not hours.  But I can tell you this for certain - one deck, besides this overblown boxed set, was released with an actual figure - Fulton's Chinatown was advertised as a 5,000-deck print run.  I'm certain that releasing that information, at a time when 5,000 decks was the smallest run available from USPC and neither Legends nor Expert were in business yet, was thought by them to be a sure-fire way to spark sales - performance of decks outside of the Smoke and Mirrors series to that point were somewhat lackluster in comparison.

It took four months before they "sold out" of those 5,000 decks.  And it remains to be seen whether they did indeed actually sell out, because they're still selling them now on their Art of Play website, though at the robber-baron price of $88.00 a deck (caveat emptor seems to be alive and well in Los Angeles).  But assuming they did, that, at the time, was considered a really slow sell out, but there was a lot of people who found the design disappointing, especially after the popularity of the Fulton's Clip Joint that preceded it, first in a long series of Fulton decks and other products.  (Or did the hand lotion come first?)

If you compare v7 to all previous 6 versions of S&M, yes, it was a failure.  It hasn't sold out after eighteen months, and that's with all those extra loose decks flying about - how many of them were printed?  At least they sold out, right?  The "Carbon Copy" subset sold out fast enough, but that was all nothing but "Carbon" v7 decks and only 777 sets were made out of the overall 10,000 - that leaves 9,223 sets of meh they're still trying to hawk.  That entire set was disappointing for the standard faces they used, replacing the distinctive look of the original S&M faces, which were based on the "Perfect Pip" faces.  Perfect Pip wasn't very popular in Bicycle Rider Backs, but they seemed to work well with S&M.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

D&D rarely release figures as to how many decks get printed.  I've heard it said that they were making five-figure print runs on the color series of S&M decks (v4-6) because the popularity had grown so much, and they sold out fast enough to make my head spin - days, if not hours.  But I can tell you this for certain - one deck, besides this overblown boxed set, was released with an actual figure - Fulton's Chinatown was advertised as a 5,000-deck print run.  I'm certain that releasing that information, at a time when 5,000 decks was the smallest run available from USPC and neither Legends nor Expert were in business yet, was thought by them to be a sure-fire way to spark sales - performance of decks outside of the Smoke and Mirrors series to that point were somewhat lackluster in comparison.

It took four months before they "sold out" of those 5,000 decks.  And it remains to be seen whether they did indeed actually sell out, because they're still selling them now on their Art of Play website, though at the robber-baron price of $88.00 a deck (caveat emptor seems to be alive and well in Los Angeles).  But assuming they did, that, at the time, was considered a really slow sell out, but there was a lot of people who found the design disappointing, especially after the popularity of the Fulton's Clip Joint that preceded it, first in a long series of Fulton decks and other products.  (Or did the hand lotion come first?)

If you compare v7 to all previous 6 versions of S&M, yes, it was a failure.  It hasn't sold out after eighteen months, and that's with all those extra loose decks flying about - how many of them were printed?  At least they sold out, right?  The "Carbon Copy" subset sold out fast enough, but that was all nothing but "Carbon" v7 decks and only 777 sets were made out of the overall 10,000 - that leaves 9,223 sets of meh they're still trying to hawk.  That entire set was disappointing for the standard faces they used, replacing the distinctive look of the original S&M faces, which were based on the "Perfect Pip" faces.  Perfect Pip wasn't very popular in Bicycle Rider Backs, but they seemed to work well with S&M.

My understanding of it is this: (Per D&D Certificate)
10,000 Deluxe Sets = 60,000 Decks (10,000 per Color)
777 "additional" Carbon Copy Sets =  4662 "additional Carbon decks.
Individual decks sold/made of each color (printed at least 2x), about 5,000/10,000 print of 5 colors (x5) = 25,000/50,000 decks.
Deluxe Set: $84.95 per set = about $15 a deck (rounded up).
Deluxe Set USPCC Cost: Lets say $3.50 each, if not less due to quantity. 60,000 X $3.50 = $210,000 (estimated cost)
D&D only had to sell about 2472 out 10,000 (2472 x $84.95) Deluxe Sets to cover cost.
Deluxe Sets to be sold for profit: 7,528 = $639,000 potential profit for just the Deluxe Sets!

They sold more then 2472 sets. Those sets are "still" selling, and still a viable source of income. Given the $15 per deck ($84.95 total) asking price, I'd say D&D did very well on this particular product.

Back to the point and topic. Sorry... I realize we are discussing D&D on another products thread. 😰
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:47:02 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 06:25:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

My understanding of it is this: (Per D&D Certificate)
10,000 Deluxe Sets = 60,000 Decks (10,000 per Color)
777 "additional" Carbon Copy Sets =  4662 "additional Carbon decks.
Individual decks sold/made of each color (printed at least 2x), about 5,000/10,000 print of 5 colors (x5) = 25,000/50,000 decks.
Deluxe Set: $84.95 per set = about $15 a deck (rounded up).
Deluxe Set USPCC Cost: Lets say $3.50 each, if not less due to quantity. 60,000 X $3.50 = $210,000 (estimated cost)
D&D only had to sell about 2472 out 10,000 (2472 x $84.95) Deluxe Sets to cover cost.
Deluxe Sets to be sold for profit: 7,528 = $639,000 potential profit for just the Deluxe Sets!

They sold more then 2472 sets. Those sets are "still" selling, and still a viable source of income. Given the $15 per deck ($84.95 total) asking price, I'd say D&D did very well on this particular product.

Back to the point and topic. Sorry... I realize we are discussing D&D on another products thread. 😰

The 777 "Carbon Copy" sets were part of the overall print run of 10,000 - if I'm not mistaken (and I might be), they were numbered 7,001 through 7,777.

No one knows how many individual decks were made.  For all we know, they were scavenged from unsold boxed sets when D&D noticed heavy demand for individual decks instead of the boxed set.

The per-deck cost was likely low, perhaps lower than what you quoted, though there was also the cost of printing the boxes for the boxed set and the certificates of authenticity.

Did they make a profit?  Probably.  But I didn't claim they didn't - I was comparing the success of the boxed sets to that of the first six versions of Smoke and Mirrors series and Fulton Chinatown and pretty much all the other decks they've sold.  But don't forget that they're not entirely making profit at the break-even stage for the print run - you're neglecting the cost of warehousing all the unsold sets.  They take up space, they have to be inventoried, and when you want to stock new products, you probably have to make room by getting rid of the old products first - unless you get your warehouse space that cheap.  I don't know if they're warehousing it all in Los Angeles or elsewhere.

I remember David Blaine was keeping some if not all of his products at his offices when I visited, but since then, all products I've received from him come from a warehouse location (or possibly a fulfillment center) located in Connecticut.  I remember the Blue Crown used to keep a warehouse in New Jersey - they lost power during Hurricane Sandy, which shut down their ability to ship products.  I think they're using Murphy's as a fulfillment service now - they were already using them to create the gaffed Crown Decks they were and still are selling - forcing, stripper, Svengali, Invisible.

All of that - whether you warehouse it yourself or whether you hire a company to hang on to it for you and ship when its ordered - costs money.  It's money that - for the Smoke & Mirrors v7 project - they're still paying.  While they might have broken even or been in the black for printing them, every day they sit unsold on their warehouse shelves is another day of red ink on the ledger, which at some point will overtake the black if they remain unsold, making the project unprofitable.  For versions 1 through 6, the decks were paid for, printed, they arrived, they were ordered, they were shipped, done and dusted, all in a relatively short period of time from start to finish, probably not more than three months in total - this is dragging out six times longer and still hasn't reached the end.

In your estimate, they had to sell about 25% of the decks to be profitable.  If they sold twice that much, they still have 5,000 boxed sets that they've been paying to warehouse since day one - and we're past day five-hundred-forty and still counting.  Every deck cost them the amount needed to print it, the amount needed to pay for the storage space once its printed, and the employees who handle them between arrival in the warehouse and drop off at the post office.

If we do continue this discussion - and mind you, it's a good one! - we should break it off into a new topic.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
David at Magical Orthodoxy recently did a review of this deck if you are interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h212N9DQ0bI

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 05:29:07 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
David at Magical Orthodoxy recently did a review of this deck if you are interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h212N9DQ0bI

Thanks Cardfool  :) I already watched it when he posted it
Back for more