You are Here:
Atelier Playing Cards

Author (Read 7074 times)

Atelier Playing Cards
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/padbury/atelier-playing-cards?

Seems to me like another case of "Just another designer riding on the waves of playing cards on KS" without wanting to put in much effort.

Re: Atelier Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Seems to be a growing trend on the "Minimalistic" design concept, less work in theory, but becoming a bit overdone and at $19.00 a deck, this may be a tough sell.

Good Luck to him  :)

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I like the simplicity of the box and the design motif he has there.

Removing all the pips and having almost nothing to see on the back though, is a little too minimal for my tastes.

$19 for one deck, done in a normal USPCC run, with no real special features, is super high though. That's limited edition, special run, foil/metallic/sealed/out-the-wazoo territory.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:21:33 AM by Encarded »
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »

Norbie

• Newcomer

I was thinking that with some silver foil and a special stock for the tuck, something like on the Origins tuck, you could get a classy look.  And the maybe for the courts have a very faded images of the kings, queens, and jacks.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I'm speechless.
This is one of the laziest decks I've ever seen.

Not only is the back just a simple radial design, but there's NO FACES? The indices look nice, but everything else is just... bland.

Minimalism is really beginning to irritate me. How someone can sell a deck that only has 5 original designs on it for a whopping $19 astounds me.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
$11

$19

Yeah, that seems about right???  I guess if he can pull it off then free market and what not, but that just reeks of unjustified elite think built into the pricing.  I more question anybody who would buy them at that price.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
$7,500 goal, and $19 a deck  :o and already at $4,900  ???

Just say'n
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »

vmagic

I'm speechless.
This is one of the laziest decks I've ever seen.

Not only is the back just a simple radial design, but there's NO FACES? The indices look nice, but everything else is just... bland.

Minimalism is really beginning to irritate me. How someone can sell a deck that only has 5 original designs on it for a whopping $19 astounds me.

It seems to me that he started off with faces but couldn't find anything he liked, so he said the hell with the faces. I agree it seems lazy and I find it hard to believe he has so much funding already. How much more minimalistic can you get?

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:48:37 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
How much more minimalistic can you get?

I'm putting these up on KS next week.   ;)

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Just wanted to put this out there for anyone who may have missed it....

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
How much more minimalistic can you get?

I'm putting these up on KS next week.   ;)

I'm in for 2 as long as they are no more than $30 each.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 03:51:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK - I COULD HAVE DESIGNED THIS DECK!  I HAVE ZERO ARTISTIC TALENT AND COULD HAVE MADE THIS IN UNDER A WEEKEND!!

BUT EVEN I WOULD NOT HAVE THE COJONES TO SELL THIS FOR NINETEEN U.S. DOLLARS A PACK WITH A STRAIGHT FACE!!!

It's got to be the "high design" nonsense, the same wave that the Misc. Goods Co. deck rode to what at the time was a record-breaking success.  Those are the kind of people who would toss down $19 for a deck and think it was a bargain, as long as it fit with their design aesthetic.

It's a "good" thing that he's rapidly reaching his goal and then some, because he certainly didn't adequately budget for the creation and distribution of this deck...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:52:18 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I can't understand how this deck already has $29K with 22 days left!!!

758 people have bought into this idea of cards. WTH...
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm still a little befuddled by the guy who pledged FOUR-HUNDRED-NINETY-NINE DOLLARS, AMERICAN, to get the deck marked #1 in the series - and hand-delivered by the designer, if the recipient lives in the San Francisco area...

It's like watching the Emperor and his retinue parade down Lombard Street, "dressed to the nines"...though it is SF, so that might not be enough to raise any eyebrows!

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 02:08:10 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Kudos to Robert though. His online following is nothing to scoff at, and they love his work.

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Dislike

(Minimalistic answer)

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
This honestly baffles me, not so much that the deck was created but that there is so much support for a deck that literally anyone could have made. 827 backers for a 19 dollar deck with the least amount of effort put into it that I think I've ever seen? Just wow

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »

Norbie

• Newcomer
This honestly baffles me, not so much that the deck was created but that there is so much support for a deck that literally anyone could have made. 827 backers for a 19 dollar deck with the least amount of effort put into it that I think I've ever seen? Just wow

The tuck looks classy.

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

The tuck looks classy.

I agree that the tuck looks nice  but it's not compelling enough for me to spend $19 on a single deck.  Honestly,  I don't like minimal designs and I hope this trend will soon end.  Not a single one of these minimalist designs have appealed to me,  but I guess that's no surprise,  since I tend to lean towards decks full of detail and/or color. 

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 08:24:31 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular

OK, I finally have to chime in here. First of all, I like this deck - just to be clear. If that makes me an idiot, so be it.

Before anybody else jumps on the laziness bandwagon, go and read the text on Kickstarter about his design process. You'll see all the designs he tried and discarded. It's interesting.......he says he was incredibly nervous about going with this design.

It's fine and certainly understandable if you don't like it. But it's not the result of laziness. Craziness, maybe yes a little. I don't mind that :)

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 11:31:43 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

OK, I finally have to chime in here. First of all, I like this deck - just to be clear. If that makes me an idiot, so be it.

Before anybody else jumps on the laziness bandwagon, go and read the text on Kickstarter about his design process. You'll see all the designs he tried and discarded. It's interesting.......he says he was incredibly nervous about going with this design.

It's fine and certainly understandable if you don't like it. But it's not the result of laziness. Craziness, maybe yes a little. I don't mind that :)

I wouldn't say your an idiot for liking any deck of cards. I recently spent over a $100 on a deck, that a lot of people wouldn't pay $25 for. If you think it's worth $19, then that's all that matters. For me, I wouldn't pay $2 for it.

As some have pointed out. His is a very basic design. Just about anybody could have designed it. Him being lazy-no. He made the design, and through it on KS. Convinced people to spend $19 on a deck of cards, that cost less than $3 to make. He's over $32k now. He may be a genius, or just lucky. Either way, he's getting the money.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 02:19:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Kudos to Robert though. His online following is nothing to scoff at, and they love his work.

I'm betting that it's his online following that's making this deck the success that it is.

Honestly, it's not like I think the deck is so terrible.  But it's expensive, and for something like a pack of playing cards, minimalist designs can suck some of the fun out of the game.  Where's the man with the axe, the bedpost Queen, the one-eyed Jacks?  Where's the interesting pip patterns?  It's too sterile for my tastes.

I agree that the tuck looks nice  but it's not compelling enough for me to spend $19 on a single deck.  Honestly,  I don't like minimal designs and I hope this trend will soon end.  Not a single one of these minimalist designs have appealed to me,  but I guess that's no surprise,  since I tend to lean towards decks full of detail and/or color. 

I can't blame you for that.  BTW, I really like the new avatar photo - looks great!

I don't care how terrible a deck is in my opinion - if you think it's something worth having, that does NOT make you an idiot or anything of the sort.  You're entitled to your opinions and tastes just as much as I am, and not every design will appeal to every person.  That I would defend with my dying breath.  Just because you differ from the consensus around here, that doesn't make your opinion invalid in any way.  It's important in a truly free society for people to be able to express contrary opinions freely and fearlessly, for to do otherwise would be the path to cultural stagnation and the end of intellectual growth.  So please, be as contrary as you like and know that we still count you as a member in good standing!

You make a valid point about the behind-the-scenes work - yes, there was some degree of effort that went into the thought processes behind this deck.

I think what bothers so many of the collectors here is that we're so used to seeing beautiful designs the type of which we could never have imagined.  Color, style, flair, etc.  This is playing cards stripped down to the bones.  In fact, I actually saw a Chinese deck once of the same general design - indices only, totally pipless and courtless.  I think that one, however, was done on a background color that would match common cardboard boxes.  There was absolutely no fanfare around that deck, while this one's attracting a parade.  Eh, such is life, I suppose.

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 03:35:40 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

I'm betting that it's his online following that's making this deck the success that it is.

Honestly, it's not like I think the deck is so terrible.  But it's expensive, and for something like a pack of playing cards, minimalist designs can suck some of the fun out of the game.  Where's the man with the axe, the bedpost Queen, the one-eyed Jacks?  Where's the interesting pip patterns?  It's too sterile for my tastes.

I can't blame you for that.  BTW, I really like the new avatar photo - looks great!

I don't care how terrible a deck is in my opinion - if you think it's something worth having, that does NOT make you an idiot or anything of the sort.  You're entitled to your opinions and tastes just as much as I am, and not every design will appeal to every person.  That I would defend with my dying breath.  Just because you differ from the consensus around here, that doesn't make your opinion invalid in any way.  It's important in a truly free society for people to be able to express contrary opinions freely and fearlessly, for to do otherwise would be the path to cultural stagnation and the end of intellectual growth.  So please, be as contrary as you like and know that we still count you as a member in good standing!

You make a valid point about the behind-the-scenes work - yes, there was some degree of effort that went into the thought processes behind this deck.

I think what bothers so many of the collectors here is that we're so used to seeing beautiful designs the type of which we could never have imagined.  Color, style, flair, etc. 

Thanks Don. :) And I agree with you. A different opinion doesn't make someone an idiot.

CordedTires, I don't think it's stupid to pledge for this deck. It's just my personal opinion that this particular design isn't worth $19, but if it's worth that to you, then I don't see anything wrong with that. Like Don said, I guess I've just been accustomed to look at really beautiful designs. I prefer a deck with lots of things to look at (intricate line work, complex designs, etc.) as opposed to an almost blank card.

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
Maybe my comment was a bit harsh, but I stand by my opinion that this deck is severely overpriced. If it cost half as much, I would consider getting one because I agree that there is an elegance to the tuck box, but 19 bucks is ridiculous. Even 29 bucks for 2 is overpriced by a good deal. As someone already pointed out, if Jackson charged 11 bucks for the art on the fed 52s, it's baffling that this guy thinks he can charge nearly double.

But hey, it's successful so who really cares what I have to say. Money talks

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
Thanks all for your exquisitely good manners!

I agree that the price is hard to justify, and that it's to all our benefit to complain about (or better yet, refuse to pay) prices above the norm.

The big total (despite or maybe because of the price, if they're used to the "name-designer" premium) has to be his twitter followers as Don and others have said.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:27:35 PM by CordedTires »