You are Here:
D & D - S & M v?

Author (Read 1610 times)

D & D - S & M v?
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:06:07 AM »

Mr Rik

• Newcomer
Hi Folks

I wonder if someone can help me identify which S & M version this deck is? 

I have looked on google images to help me figure out which version they are but although I might find a photo similar it failed to provide any information.

I got it as part of a 3 deck bundle D and D Mystery Deck order that I made.  The other two decks were Arrco Reds (Ohio).  Initially I was a bit disappointed with the Arco's (because they read 'Plastic Coated') but having used them a bit I like them more and more. Initially they clumped, but now they dont.

Any help ID'ing this deck appreciated - I have attached some photos.  As you can see I have not opened this deck yet.  Is it worth not opening?

With thanks

Mr Rik

Re: D & D - S & M v?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:16:39 AM »

Xntrix

• True Member

• Facebook:

v7.

They're the reprints only recently released. (Telltale 'Stamp' Deck Seal).

-Jake
To enquire about Ellusionist sponsorship,  provide feedback or just have a chat - please email me at Jake {at} ellusionist.com

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:25:56 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
As Jake said, one of the decks in the V7 reprint set. It's a reprint and re-stylisation of the V3 Smoke deck.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I can't say with certainty that they'll become very valuable - who can, really?  But what I can say is that this deck is a modified reprinting of the S&M v3 Smoke, that it was part of the S&M v7 boxed set (both of which you already know) and that the design was very disappointing to people who had already seen the previous S&M decks because they switched from their distinctive stylized faces to USPC standard.  Additionally, the handling is pretty darn good - most custom USPC decks are since Magic Finish became the default for custom decks last year.

I got a box of these the same way you did.  I opened them, and I use them.  I wouldn't count on the value increasing greatly, but they sure do work very nicely.  As a beginning flourisher, I think you'd be pleased with the performance.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I can't say with certainty that they'll become very valuable - who can, really?  But what I can say is that this deck is a modified reprinting of the S&M v3 Smoke, that it was part of the S&M v7 boxed set (both of which you already know) and that the design was very disappointing to people who had already seen the previous S&M decks because they switched from their distinctive stylized faces to USPC standard.  Additionally, the handling is pretty darn good - most custom USPC decks are since Magic Finish became the default for custom decks last year.

I got a box of these the same way you did.  I opened them, and I use them.  I wouldn't count on the value increasing greatly, but they sure do work very nicely.  As a beginning flourisher, I think you'd be pleased with the performance.

all that being said if you really want to try the cards I know there selling the individual decks (theres another thread about it on here) for 8 dollars (+ shipping) or so without the foil seal. Since you can only get this deck (with the seal) from the box set and the mystery deck promo it may be worth it to you to pick up another one (without the seal) to use. just a thought.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Yes I would hold off on actually breaking the seal on these just cause there's always the one sucker who would buy that deck at an outrageous price to replace the one they opened from their box set. But if not, open them, play with them, enjoy them! They're fairly decent cards (with the exception that I still think changing the courts back to standard courts rather than keeping them simplified is a sacrilege to the originals).
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
Really don? I opened the mirror deck and they handle like, excuse my language, shit. I really break in the deck and the handling didn't get any better. A huge disappointment for me since i am a big fan of Si Scott's artwork. I guess now I'll open my smoke deck.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Really don? I opened the mirror deck and they handle like, excuse my language, shit. I really break in the deck and the handling didn't get any better. A huge disappointment for me since i am a big fan of Si Scott's artwork. I guess now I'll open my smoke deck.

how so? All my v7 decks handled superbly.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Really don?

Did I stutter?  Yeah, really!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:35 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
I think I just got a mirror deck from a bad batch, the edges are horrible. But I really dont like the carbon v7. it's a soft deck but the snap just feels weird. I guess i was expecting the quality matches up to the old SMs and Magic-Con deck, but i guess reprints are just reprints.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
 :) no you didnt stutter just making sure.
Really don?

Did I stutter?  Yeah, really!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:23:04 PM by twiscold »

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:26:20 AM »

max

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Taking advantage of the thread, can someone clarify this to me?

It is supposed D&D released a box set with all the new reprinted decks. This set contains 6 decks.

Recently, they decided to make it available individually here (http://shop.dananddave.com/playing-cards/smoke-and-mirror-playing-cards.html) and in the photo, there are also six decks but there are only five available to be bought (smoke, mirror, eco, denim and rouge). Which is the sixth? Is it the carbon one, available only in six packs?

Can someone give me light on this?

Thanks!

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:34:29 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
correct. carbon is only available through the box set OR the pack of six carbon decks.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 07:56:38 AM »

anep21

• Elite Member
Taking advantage of the thread, can someone clarify this to me?

It is supposed D&D released a box set with all the new reprinted decks. This set contains 6 decks.

Recently, they decided to make it available individually here (http://shop.dananddave.com/playing-cards/smoke-and-mirror-playing-cards.html) and in the photo, there are also six decks but there are only five available to be bought (smoke, mirror, eco, denim and rouge). Which is the sixth? Is it the carbon one, available only in six packs?

Can someone give me light on this?

Thanks!

Yup. I asked them on instagram and they've confirmed that the carbon deck won't be sold individually

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 08:25:34 AM »

Mr Rik

• Newcomer
Hi folks

Thanks for all the info on these cards.  From me research I assumed they were reprints.

I'll leave them unopened for now but won't save them as part of someone's inheritance!!!!

Thanks again

Mr Rik