Author (Read 3943 times)

Developing Discourse v2: A daily blog.
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:36:53 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
As Peuan and I develop Discourse v2, we are opting to bring a new way of working with forums. In this thread, you can check back daily to find this original post modified with new development content, which can include sneak peaks at some of the biggest innovations ever made to a forum.

December 16th: Innovating the Header

One of the biggest goals with Discourse v2 is to create a more intuitive forum header. As of now, the header is clunky, unbalanced, and doesn't allow for easy user functionality. When developing the new header, one of the biggest concerns for me was controlling where the user places their mouse. See, it's not enough to just plop random links everywhere. The goal was to control certain actions to certain portions of the screen. For example, on Discourse v1 we have the AetherCards logo, a search bar, a speech bubble with random quotes, and a menu bar. These are all located on random portions of the screen, forcing the user to drag their mouse all over the screen to accomplish various tasks.

That's not how a forum system should work at all. We stuck with the layout provided to us by default with SMF (our forum software) for v1. For v2, it's 100% our own concept and design.

Everything user-related is now concentrated in one area. You can manage your profile, check your Fame, view your messages, and all that jazz within a few inches of your screen width. The goal is to keep users focused on their task, so that if you want to change your signature, your brain locks onto the section of the site where you know for a fact only User CP modification exists.

Then we have the search bar, relocated to its own little nesting ground at the very top of the board. To me, the search bar is its own entity on a forum. I love quick access, and knowing that it will always be reliable. Peuan's unique placement of the bar gives the feature its own space, but also adds balance to the overarching design.

Of course, the change that was hyped from the start is a revamped logo that retains the Aether branding, but brands The Discourse as its own entity first.

December 17th: Fame! How Famous are you?

The biggest, most awesome addition to The Discourse in v2 is Fame. In Discourse v1, we introduced the simple Karma feature which allows you to praise or smite members. This system was put into place to introduce you guys to the concept of Fame, but in v1, it was open to serious abuse. Peuan and I have lots of experience in creating community-voting systems. In the past, we created "Checks" whose values were based on upvotes and downvotes as well as a complex formula deriving from post counts. While ingenious in its looks and executions, our Checks suffered from being open to abuse, as well as not properly distributing points among members. They were designed in such a way that having 1,000+ points was commonplace. While in theory this may be fun, in practice it took away a reason for people to take upvotes/downvotes seriously. After all, when you have 1,000 Checks to spare, who cares if an entire community downvotes you and causes you to lose 100 of them?

With Fame, gaining it is much more difficult. Your first 25-50 Fame will be a breeze to earn, but the system is designed to put a much greater emphasis on what the community thinks of your posts. It took me a few hours to devise a system that was impervious to abuse. Sure you can still hold a Vendetta against someone with the Fame system, but in the long run that Vendetta will go nowhere.

The solution to stopping abuse was very, very simple. The more Fame you have, the more influence you have over other people's Fame. Picture this:

Jimmy is a valued member of The Discourse, with over 500 Fame to his name. He sees a post made by Jenny, who has been trolling people all day. Disgusted by Jenny's behavior, Jimmy "defames" one of her posts, and her Fame decreases not by ONE, but by FIVE due to Jimmy's influence. Jenny, who noticed that Jimmy is out to get her, decides to troll him back and lower his Fame by defaming all his posts. At first, Jimmy's Fame decreases by a few points because even Jenny should have the right to voice her opinion on someone. However, the more Jenny defames Jimmy, the more Fame she ends up losing as a result due to our automated spam tracker. The tracker noticed that Jenny has been defaming Jimmy over and over, and decreased her Fame significantly. Now, Jenny can still enjoy defaming anyone she wants, but it will not change their scores in any way.

Users no longer have to wonder why they get praise of hate. Everyone will now get notifications, Facebook style, about their upfame/downfames. Let's take a look at some of those notifications now:

"Your fame is decreasing! You lost -X fame for not posting in 10 days."
"Awesome! Your first thread has made you an additional +2 fame. You can earn more fame for continuing to make quality posts."
"You've been consistently annoying some of the members on this forum it seems. You've lost -X fame as a result. Sorry!"
"Wow, do you ever sleep? Enjoy the +1 fame!"
"Shucks, looks like people have been defaming your threads today, making you lose -X fame. Consider improving the quality of your threads next time."
"Looks like you've been posting quite a bit. You have received +X fame for your contributions today."

Of course, there are countless easter eggs that earn you +Fame as well. Who knows what activities around the forums will net you these valuable points?

I use the word "valuable" because you will be able to cash in your precious +Fame to unlock really sweet stuff in out 100% automated shop. More on that, however, in another blog entry.

For those of you curious about how post count will affect your Fame, it will be a large portion of your +Fame income, but in a way that still allows you to lose all of your +Fame if the community decides you're a terrible contribution to the boards.

SQRT(postcount) / 2 + (postcount)/100 is the formula used to determine base Fame from posts. For example, 100 posts will get you a schnazzy 6 +Fame. Likewise, 625 posts gets you a cool 18 Fame.

December 18th: The Shop.

If you have been keeping up to date with the concept of Fame, you may know by now that a forum Shop will be launching with Discourse v2. Members will be able to cash in their hard earned Fame for sweet unlockables. Let's take a look at some of those unlockables right now: (Rather than list them all, I will list one unlockable from each category of unlockables!)

10 Fame: Upgrade your influence! Your upfames/downfames are now worth more.
*Every time it is upgraded, their upfame/downfaming influence changes by +X/-.X respectively

This item is my personal favorite. For 10 of your Fame, you gain the power to really change how significantly you modify other people's Fame when you upfame or downfame them.[/color][/size]

50 Fame: Submit your quote to the TalkBubble (explicit quotes will be removed)

15 Fame: Unlock the ability to use thread descriptions

5 Fame: Change max avatar size from 100x100 to 125x125

25 Fame: Change signature character limit from 500 to 1,000

1 Fame: Enable User Content field in profiles

1 Fame: Enable ALL UBBC codes in signatures

3 Fame: Unlimited PM character limit

1 Fame: Unlimited post character limit

1 Fame: Enable attachments in posts

2 Fame: Smiley unlock! Unlock The Cardist for use in posts.

25 Fame: Three platinum stars next to your username in posts

250 Fame: Upgrade your username to have premium coloring

1 Fame: Enable the "Moods" icon feature for your threads.

25 Fame: Harlequin Preview

25 Fame: Booster pack - Your net +Fame is doubled over the next 3 hours

50 Fame: Immune to downfaming for 30 days

1,000 Fame: One free uncut sheet, chosen at random

These are just a few of over 65 unlockables. The goal was to force members to choose paths in their unlockables. Of course, everyone will drop the 20-50 Fame needed to use some of the basic, cool features like new Smileys, but what about after that? Will you max out your swagger on the forums, and get bolded and colored usernames? Will you choose the path of the ultimate Fame god, wielding the power to easily drop or increase people's Fame count by 10 for each post they make? Perhaps you will opt for the physical rewards, like decks of cards. The shop is designed to really reward veteran users. There is just no way to unlock everything in the time span of a few months. Members that have been posting for a whole year will have significantly different experiences with the forums than members that have been posting for a few weeks. Likewise, members posting for years upon years will have almost everything, if not everything unlocked.

An idea of how quickly Fame will increase, an average user who posts 10 times per day will earn about 20-50 Fame per week. Of course, this does not include the +Fame you get for accomplishing tasks around the boards, winning our revamped Fan of the Week competitions, and more.

December 21th: Subtle playing card themes

With Discourse v2, I wanted the forums to look more like an abode for playing card fanatics, because in the end that's exactly what it is. Throughout the board, you will see very subtle nods to the playing card theme. In the header, we have some Vortex court cards, and the background uses a very toned down version of the Harlequin back. On top of that, unlockable forum badges use the four pips to show off how special a user is. One of the most difficult to reach, of course, is the Golden Spade, unlocked at 10,000 posts. Other badges include things like 500 posts in the Lolaq, 25 posts in the intro boards, etc. The way to get any badge remains secret until at least one person unlocks it, wherein you could hover over the badge with your mouse and see how it was earned.

Badges are just another step to push on the community the difference between a great member, a good member and a bad member (not that we really have any of the latter at the moment).

January 9th: Want incentive?

Giving users incentive to post on a forum is a huge problem for administrators. Forum communication is almost obsolete, but any experienced webmaster will tell you that there are a few huge benefits they offer that no other form of communication can. Here they are:

1. Organized discussion.
2. Member-to-member relationships.
3. Anonymity & free speech.
4. A sense of community.
5. A creative outlet.
6. Competition.

In Discourse v1, the site you are browsing right now, we offered #1-5. As any forum out there, our discussions are organized. Via expanding out focus to beyond our main subject matter, we have enabled members to create personal relationships. It's no surprise to see people helping each other out any way they can on here, and that of course creates a sense of community among us. Anonymity and free speech are huge on The Discourse as well. We protect your right to anonymity and we refuse to disclose any personal information. On top of that, we consistently fight to protect your right to post whatever you want. Our core belief is that if a community creates its own sense of right and wrong, it doesn't need stringent rules to govern itself. This forum is proof of that (we have absolutely no rules, only etiquette guidelines that we suggest members follow to keep from being berated by their peers). Obviously, our design & development board is a creative outlet, but we also take pride in helping many projects succeed and come to life. However, one vital experience has been missing from our forum experience.

Competition is crucial when it comes to getting people excited about posting. Right now, there are two primary methods by which you can track how useful you are to the community: Post count & staff position. These are terrible indicators. Staff positions are obviously positions of use, and post count hardly shows off how much you contribute. You may have 3,000 posts, but you haven't posted in years making you a member that serves no purpose. Likewise, you may have 100 of the most brilliant posts on the board.

That's where Fame comes in, and Fame shows off how great a member is. However, you can spend your Fame and get left with a low Fame count. What then? Well, we created some fail safes:

1. Your Fame CAN be negative, which helps distinguish between the guy who has 4 Fame after buying something from the Fame Shop, and the guy who has -15 Fame because he is a nuisance to the community.

2. Fame is not only earned by post count and upvotes/downvotes. You can earn Fame by posting in specific boards often, or accomplishing certain tasks like sending your first PM. No matter how much Fame you spend, there is always a new way for you to earn it back.

3. Badges, displayed on your mini-profile in every post you make, show off some of your accomplishments on the boards. For example, if you have 3 Fame, but you have the Platinum Star badge, it becomes clear to other members that at some point you had over 100 Fame. Other badges include things like getting 1,000 posts in various boards or following AetherCards on Twitter.

Badges & Fame is a great incentive to post more and more because it is a fantastic way of showing how each member contributes to the forum.

We also added a tracker for Lolaq posts, or posts made in the spam boards. As of now, post counts are disabled in that board. In Discourse v2, that is no longer the case. The posts you make in Lolaq will be stored on your profile and displayed separately from your normal board posts.

We also included badges unlocked manually. These two badges are the "Winner" badge and the "Beta Tester" badge, unlocked only by either winning a contest or becoming a beta tester on the boards.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:25:56 PM by alex. »
Forum Founder.

Re: Developing Discourse v2: A daily blog.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 05:44:54 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
LOVE THE IDEA ALEX!!! can't wait for the fame thing to come out, tomorrow, im guessing?
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »

Victoria

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I'm pretty excited about the fame system.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:51:28 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Great idea, I was actually quite pleased already to discover the karma system, so this is gonna be awesome :) and I can't wait to see that new design.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:33:20 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Peuan just added a sweet feature - live notifications of replies to your threads, a lot like Facebook but less intrusive.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 06:34:47 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
i noticed that, and it scared the shit out of me!!!  thought it was broken!!! lol
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 06:45:23 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Haha it's really handy though, especially on the hours of the day here with the highest traffic.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
One suggestion Alex, if possible. Put the Mark All as Read link for the notifications at the top. I've got hundreds of them, and can't scroll to the bottom to get to that link, so I'm having to click each one closed individually, which is somewhat tedious...
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I got a suggestion that you should put the notification of the new posts just only on the right top of the page or make it smaller. Because I can't read the right part of the posts.

Thank you.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
yes i had the same one pop up and fill the whole right side. also i cant wait to see how the new way of fame works, hopefully im famous :)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 01:02:13 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Actually, on my machine, the notifications cover up some of the text and I have to read in between them to see what's been written, so it's much more intrusive than Facebook.  It's also buggy (I posted about that in the feedback forum).

We really need an option to disable it ASAP.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Great work there alex, I also just noticed the live notifications too, I wondered what was happening. When can we see this in effect?

Note: You might want to fix the spelling error towards the bottom of your post!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 05:37:12 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
How are the notifications now, guys?

Also, Kpop, what spelling error is that?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 05:49:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
1) I don't get any such notifications.  Is this a beta test thing?

2) I'm not sure the "immunity idol" thing is a great idea, at least not for a span of 30 days.  Perhaps a week would be better?  I guess we'll see in practice - and I presume you'll be adjusting the unlockables if you happen to discover any of them happen to be "broken" in terms of use/abuse?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I am really excited for fame!

Also, I hate the new notification system on my iPhone because it covers up at least a quarter of every post, but on the computer I like it.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 02:50:58 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I use the word "valuable" because you will be able to cash in your precious +Fame to unlock really sweet stuff in out 100% automated shop. More on that, however, in another blog entry.

Change "out" to "our". Also, do we get fame now because of what we have done, or will we have to all start over.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Change "out" to "our". Also, do we get fame now because of what we have done, or will we have to all start over.

The Fame is retroactive in some ways and not in others. Your post-based +Fame is retroactive, but whether or not, for example, you've sent a PM to somebody, that stuff has to be done again.

@Good: The amount of Fame it takes to achieve that Immunity is pretty insane on a relative level. However, let's say you have 1,000 Fame and you want to take a Vacation for a few weeks. Well, every 10 days you don't post, you lose a certain % of your Fame. A simple calculation has you realize that you may lose over 400 Fame in the course of a month. You decide to buy the immunity for 50 Fame.

As far as it keeping the Fame of bad members high, that's impossible due to its cost. A member that is constantly downvoted, but gains Fame by posting and doing other tasks, will lose almost all of it by buying immunity.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 12:08:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Sounds good from here.  And as I guessed, you'll likely be keeping tabs on it all to see if something works or doesn't work, making adjustments as needed.

Looking forward to it.  Especially since someone's been having fun knocking my karma lately!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 01:21:20 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Sounds good from here.  And as I guessed, you'll likely be keeping tabs on it all to see if something works or doesn't work, making adjustments as needed.

Looking forward to it.  Especially since someone's been having fun knocking my karma lately!

The fun part will be when their Fame drops to nothing for abusing the system.  :-X
Forum Founder.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 10:51:55 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Just read through all of this. It looks awesome!! The fame system should be awesome and I really look forward to seeing it in action. Also the few changes I've noticed already are great! The Discourse v2 should be dope!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Updated after a two day break. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Finally updated the blog with some new features and info. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The Discourse v2 gets better as you tell me more about it. I can't wait until we can use this new version.
I asked in the Beta Testing thread a few weeks ago about beta testing. You said that you'd be looking for beta testers for v2. Is it possible to volunteer to be one? Or, to volunteer to be added to a list of possible beta testers?
Also, does the v2 carry all our information over from v1? For instance, you said you would get certain amounts of Fame for completing certain 'tasks', such as sending your first PM. Seeing as, for example, I have already sent a PM, will I automatically have the points that you would receive for completing the 'task'?
Or, do we have to start completely from scratch (except for post count)?
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 03:02:27 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Still slightly confused on the "fame" thing but your update really helped. I'm sure once we get to see it live I'll better understand it... or I'll end up like this guy  :'(

Two questions though...
  • What is the beta testing for? Will we all get to beta test the new discourse or is that a select group?
  • Competitions? Like fan of the week? I haven't really seen many contests from Aether since I've joined the community so I'm a little lost.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:02:55 AM by brown_baggs »
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
@Lushbob: People that joined the forums before their official launch and accrued certain post counts got Beta Tester badges. In the future, the only way to become a beta tester will be to win some kind of contest or to donate to the site.

@Brown_baggs: Only select people get to beta test the skin. Right now, all staff members can view it. In a few days, we will expand this group to "Elite" Beta Testers and several days after that we will expand the group once again to all the beta testers. Most information transfers from v1 to v2, but a lot of the info does not. You will have Fame notifications that tell you as soon as you accomplish a task why your Fame went up or down.

I don't think I actually used the word "competitions" in the post. In conceptualizing how the Fame system works, I created a method in which members will want to compete with each other over how "useful" they are to the community. In other words, it helps distinguish between the blokes who make constant spammy responses and the people who contribute. You will easily be able to look at any member profile and see if they constantly spam, constantly contribute, or contribute occasionally.
Forum Founder.