Mac
7 (26.9%)
PC
13 (50%)
Both
6 (23.1%)
Unix/Linux
0 (0%)
I hate computers and I despise having to look at this topic through my monitor.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Mac or PC?

Author (Read 4086 times)

Mac or PC?
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:10:33 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Bored.. as above.

PC myself.

Re: Mac or PC?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:29:07 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
PC MO FO!!!!!!!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:35:58 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Oh boy, I haven't been asked this question a thousand times.

The answer I chose in the poll was both, because I own a windows desktop and a Macbook Pro. When I was 14 I decided it was time that I learned more about computer, I have always been pretty techie, so I watched some videos and read a book about how a computer works. I picked my parts, got them shipped, built the desktop and hoped it booted. Luckily for me I didn't screw up and it worked and have been upgrading it ever since. Ever since then I have always enjoyed a Windows based machine over a OSX.

I like my Windows machine more mainly because if it breaks, I bet I can fix it because I have had more time the operating system and I am comfortable tinkering with the hardware. The desktop is also pretty powerful, with a 4.0 GHZ Intel quadcore that has hyperthreading, 6 gigs of DDR3, GTX 260 core 216, SSD...stuff like that (just ignore that if your don't understand what it means ).
The reason I own a macbook pro ( besides that it seems like the cool thing to do  ;)  ) is that I felt it was important for me to start to learn and understand another popular operating system, just to satisfy me own techie needs. Also, when I purchased the notebook I was about to travel to Australia and I needed something that was going to be reliable and Macbooks seem to be quite resilient ( if something does go wrong its a b*tch to get it fixed though ).

As of now, I would say that my macbook to desktop pc usage is about 70:30 but that is simply for the portability of the Mac and not because I like OSX better. I never play games on my mac but do sometimes use it for video editing because I have some better software on it.

As for Linux, I have never tried it but have always been tempted to. Maybe when I add another harddrive to my desktop I will install Linux on that and dual boot, it would be nice to see what its all about.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:38:34 AM by Curt »

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:53:17 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
PC every time.  Macs are better built but I hate OSX and they aren't worth the price.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:55:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Oh boy, I haven't been asked this question a thousand times.

The answer I chose in the poll was both, because I own a windows desktop and a Macbook Pro. When I was 14 I decided it was time that I learned more about computer, I have always been pretty techie, so I watched some videos and read a book about how a computer works. I picked my parts, got them shipped, built the desktop and hoped it booted. Luckily for me I didn't screw up and it worked and have been upgrading it ever since. Ever since then I have always enjoyed a Windows based machine over a OSX.

I like my Windows machine more mainly because if it breaks, I bet I can fix it because I have had more time the operating system and I am comfortable tinkering with the hardware. The desktop is also pretty powerful, with a 4.0 GHZ Intel quadcore that has hyperthreading, 6 gigs of DDR3, GTX 260 core 216, SSD...stuff like that (just ignore that if your don't understand what it means ).
The reason I own a macbook pro ( besides that it seems like the cool thing to do  ;)  ) is that I felt it was important for me to start to learn and understand another popular operating system, just to satisfy me own techie needs. Also, when I purchased the notebook I was about to travel to Australia and I needed something that was going to be reliable and Macbooks seem to be quite resilient ( if something does go wrong its a b*tch to get it fixed though ).

As of now, I would say that my macbook to desktop pc usage is about 70:30 but that is simply for the portability of the Mac and not because I like OSX better. I never play games on my mac but do sometimes use it for video editing because I have some better software on it.

As for Linux, I have never tried it but have always been tempted to. Maybe when I add another harddrive to my desktop I will install Linux on that and dual boot, it would be nice to see what its all about.

Have you considered running a Boot Camp setup on the MacBook, or maybe Parallels?  Have the best of both worlds on one machine.  I think you can even add Linux as a second (or third) operating system, but you'll be carving up your hard drive for the necessary partitions.

I've been using computers since the days of the Apple II and, before that, the TRS-80 Model I.  I used PCs ever since IBM-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1.  My first notebook ran Windows 95 on an Intel 80486 chip.  When Macs started using Intel chips, I started using Macs as my primary machines.  I never looked back.

I stated this in another forum, though certainly not word for word: when I used PCs at home, I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to make it work and why it wasn't working at some given moment.  Or why some piece of hardware I got for it doesn't work, or works poorly.  Or why some crap piece of shovelware the machine came with was so damn useless, and how to uninstall it without screwing up the OS.

When I started using Macs at home, there was a shallow learning curve, and I adapted quickly.  While certain things about Mac OS X are a little annoying (like having to reach for just one corner of any window when I want to resize it rather than grabbing any edge or corner), but I've spent far less time dealing with headaches and far more time doing what I want to do with it.  It's been around, I dunno, maybe six or seven years since I switched.  I've had exactly two OS crashes in all that time, across four different machines.  Each time, the operating system repaired itself without any need for me to figure out arcane instructions on a blue screen - it churned a little while, rebooted, and everything was working fine again.

Rather than coming prepacked with software I'll never use or that works poorly, it came with programs that I actually find useful.  Since the App Store opened, software's a lot more reasonably priced.  The cheapest version of Microsoft Office for either OS probably runs around a hundred-plus dollars, and that's for students and educators only - the rest of us pay much more.  I can get the three programs of iWork (Pages, Numbers and Keynote), which replicate most of the useful functions of MS Office but in a more user-friendly way, for $19.95 each or $59.85 for the lot, downloaded to my machine from the comfort of my bedroom, and I don't have to lie about being a student to get them that cheap.  Ever try buying just Excel in recent history, or downloading the whole Office suite?

If I were to compare my experiences with computers to owning cars, I'd say that a Mac was really good for someone who wanted to drive and enjoy the ride, while a PC was good for someone who knows how to pop the hood and repair the engine every now and then.

People do love, when defending Windows and PCs, to bring up something they call "the Mac tax", saying that even the cheapest Macs are more expensive than the cheapest PCs.  Well, that probably has to do with the fact that you're getting useful programs instead of things you want to delete, and the cheapest Mac will run rings around the cheapest PCs in terms of performance.

I can't say Mac is perfect, nor can I say that when comparing an equally-equipped PC to a Mac that the PC won't be cheaper.  But the thing I enjoy most about using a Mac is that only Apple makes Macs.  They know precisely what configurations Macs will come in, and can perfectly prepare the OS to function in every single one of them.  This minimizes the hardware conflict issues to practically nil.

Microsoft doesn't make PCs, they just make Windows.  The permutations of PCs available from the manufacturers of the world could very well exceed the permutations of a five-card poker hand, or maybe even an entire deck.  There's no way on Earth that Microsoft can make one operating system function perfectly on every single possible combination without some problems here and there involving hardware that doesn't play nice with the OS.

And that brings up another point - it's not even like there's only one current version of Windows!  There's a stripped-down version, a middle-of-the-road version, a business version, an all-the-bells-and-whistles version...  Most consumers have no idea which is best for their needs, and many will overpay for a version that exceeds those needs rather than one that fits them.  I think Windows Vista came in seven different varieties.  I don't even know what choices are available to Windows 7 users.  Any current version of Mac OS X comes in one variety: Mac OS X, period, no confusing decisions and differing price points.

OK, now I'm just ranting here...  but I think you guys have a clear idea of where I stand.

PC every time.  Macs are better built but I hate OSX and they aren't worth the price.

So, if you got a Mac and Boot Camped it to run Windows, you'd love it?

If it's a better-built machine, what makes you also say that it's not worth the price?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:58:43 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:21 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Because it's not THAT much better (I still go for components over build quality and custom made machines will always be better than Macs in the price range), boot camp doesn't support everything and I'd have a whole OS on there I would never, ever use.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
For the longest time I had a "Mac Fund" where I was saving up all my money to get an iMac. I got a little more then half way...then I started collecting cards.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Have you considered running a Boot Camp setup on the MacBook, or maybe Parallels?  Have the best of both worlds on one machine.  I think you can even add Linux as a second (or third) operating system, but you'll be carving up your hard drive for the necessary partitions.

I have thought of that, and have friends who do this with their Imacs. I just do not think I stand to gain that much out of taking up the harddrive space to do it on my macbook. 99% of my usage on my macbook is for surfing the internet, doing homework and watching movies, all of which does not have a distinct advantage using either OS. I enjoy using OSX, its kind of fun to find out a new feature every once in a while that I had never used before. Its not that I can't stand one OS or the other, both are fine to use so I enjoy having the option to use what ever one I want, when I feel like it.

Because it's not THAT much better (I still go for components over build quality and custom made machines will always be better than Macs in the price range)

I totally understand and I kind of have the same feeling, but then again as I previously stated, I enjoy learning about a different OS. I would much rather spend $900 putting in a new CPU, MOBO, RAM, SSD..ect into my Windows based desktop than spend that much plus much more for a OSX based desktop. But as I said, I enjoy knowing both and since I own both I have lost a lot of my fanboy-ism for either product and can simply just use what I prefer for what ever occasion I made need it.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:57:05 PM by Curt »

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
I like PC better.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
  Some people seem to think that Windows crashes all the time. I've used Win7 since it came out and the OS has crashed ZERO times. We agree that Vista is crap, both the PC community and the apple one. But the past is past. Windows has acheived remarkable stability and access so the Macs no longer have that point.

Others seem to think that Macs look better. On the outside - Maybe. It sure looks better than those IBM plastic bricks. But compared to VAIOS or some other models from HP or Asus, Macs lose out in my opinion. Not to mention PCs look infinitely better on the INSIDE. Sure the default interface is somewhat boring but there is a colossal community that create skins and themes and icons and cursors, the looks of OSX get comparatively thrown out of the window.

Yes, Macs have a "Shallow Learning Curve". No offence but that is clearly a lazy man's argument. Those who stick with PC are generally those that come to know computers throughly, having drilled their way through the service packs of XP and Vista itself. You do get less trouble with Mac in those days but now that the stability has been fixed, there's no such thing as "repairing the engine". Also a lazy man's argument is that there are too many producers of PCs. ...? A certain Spec does not make the OS less effective or more effective - it allows people to buy computers that fit what they're trying to do. People even build their own PCs with Sound Cards and Graphics cards because that's what they need. It's like saying "Why don't we just all wear the same thing so we don't have to go through the trouble of shopping for clothes?"

Speaking of the "Mac Tax" (I've never heard that used anywhere but it seems valid), it's true in every regard. Macs in comparison to PCs are distinctly more expensive and lose out by a HUGE margin in specifications. I've never heard anyone defend Macs with performance.

Though it's possible, I don't know anyone that installs OSX on their PC. But almost every Mac I know puts Windows on Boot Camp to run software that is incompatible with Mac.

And those attack ads... Oh dear. One thing that bias me towards Microsoft is their attitude towards those commercials which is pretty much "Oh f*ck off, I've got a company to run."

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
My Win7 has never crashed. I had to reformat it once because of the irreparable Vundo virus. People complain about rebooting their systems but honestly I prefer getting rid of a whole bunch of junk every year or so.

Macs are fine, but for gaming they lose. Also, no HDMI port on the Macbooks is insane. This is not 2004. No HDMI is unforgivable. I'm pretty sure they still have Firewire ports though, which means they really do think it's 2004. Seriously. Firewire?

Half the time all my video content is put on my computer wirelessly, and the other half it's through universal USB.

For anyone that claims Macs are the computer of choice for designers, think again. Desktops are obsolete for anyone that isn't a gamer, and any sensible designer will be using their laptops for their work because you're constantly on the go. A laptop that can't connect via HDMI to projectors, televisions, etc. has no place in society.

For those of you that want the sleek look of a Macbook without the ridiculous idiocy behind the practicality of a Macbook, look no further than a Vaio. Laptops to avoid in general are HP, Acer & Samsung brands.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 02:22:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Because it's not THAT much better (I still go for components over build quality and custom made machines will always be better than Macs in the price range), boot camp doesn't support everything and I'd have a whole OS on there I would never, ever use.

What doesn't it support?  Macs now use pretty much the SAME architecture as PCs since the switch to Intel processors.

See, now you appear to be a hard-core tinkerer.  You probably have a seriously souped-up PC that you practically assembled yourself, or at least have added enough upgrades to it by now that you might as well have.  I'm sure you spend a good deal of time tweaking your setup, adding new hardware, finding out how to make everything play nice with each other, and so on.

I'm like the average person.  I don't even want to know what makes it work, never mind having to dig under the hood.  I just want it to work, period.  With PCs, I had no choice but to learn what makes them work to some extent, because I was always having to fix some problem or another.  The closest I ever came to that problem with a Mac was with an AirPort Extreme router, but I managed to solve that and move on (it was more about something I didn't know - the fix was super easy).  That was nothing like the many hours I've spent solving "issues" with practically every PC I've ever used, including the models at work that I have to manage to a certain extent.

My Win7 has never crashed. I had to reformat it once because of the irreparable Vundo virus. People complain about rebooting their systems but honestly I prefer getting rid of a whole bunch of junk every year or so.

Macs are fine, but for gaming they lose. Also, no HDMI port on the Macbooks is insane. This is not 2004. No HDMI is unforgivable. I'm pretty sure they still have Firewire ports though, which means they really do think it's 2004. Seriously. Firewire?

Half the time all my video content is put on my computer wirelessly, and the other half it's through universal USB.

For anyone that claims Macs are the computer of choice for designers, think again. Desktops are obsolete for anyone that isn't a gamer, and any sensible designer will be using their laptops for their work because you're constantly on the go. A laptop that can't connect via HDMI to projectors, televisions, etc. has no place in society.

For those of you that want the sleek look of a Macbook without the ridiculous idiocy behind the practicality of a Macbook, look no further than a Vaio. Laptops to avoid in general are HP, Acer & Samsung brands.

I know they lag in gaming, but their high-end laptops have some sharp specs.  Using a simple adapter, you can convert any Mini DisplayPort socket into an HDMI output.  Thunderbolt's pretty sharp stuff - it has a data speed of up to 10 Gbps, faster than many people's high speed Internet connections at home.  And they're up to FireWire 2 now, with nearly double the speed of USB 2.0.  I know USB 3.0 is due out soon, and when it's offered, I'm sure Macs will have that right alongside their FireWire ports, just as their USB 2.0 ports are now.

The new Mac mini - essentially a notebook's internal hardware disguised as a desktop - has HDMI output for video and audio now.  Many folks are using them as I am my older one - as a "media server" in their home for storing digital audio and video to play back on a home theater system, in addition to websurfing on a big flatscreen TV.

"Ridiculous idiocy behind the practicality of a MacBook"?  It sounds like you're complaining about it being practical - please clarify this a bit.

@PoundFFFFFF - I've heard that Win7 is more stable.  Unfortunately my employer opted to buy into Windows Vista instead.  It sucks, but they will neither replace or upgrade it.  At most, they're actually looking into replacing the computer where I work with an iPad.  Sounds crazy, but we have very specific uses for the computer in this station, and an iPad would actually to the job well enough and have the advantage of better portability and the capability of doing signature captures without any extra hardware (OK, maybe an electro-capacitive stylus, but that's it and it never needs batteries or software upgrades.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:47:29 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 07:16:27 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Right on.  I do a lot of audio work and the drivers and software for all that stuff doesn't work on a virtual machine.  I'm studying video games design and development, so I'm pretty much dedicated to computers.  Over 20 years experience with them.  I'm certainly not one for the works-out-of-the-box style computer and Macs are great for that.  I dunno; they have plenty of advantages but none of them seem applicable to me and I still think that applying yourself just a little bit can save you so much money with a PC setup (i.e. if you're willing to keep it running smoothly).

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I myself is a Windows person. I just can't stand the price of Macs though. I just need my computer to work and I'm fine.

Also note that PC isn't the right term when it comes to pinning operating systems again each other. The abbreviation PC means personal computer, and we are arguing about the operating system and not the computer itself. If I'm not mistake, a Mac can be labeled a PC because if is a personal computer. Just thought I'd throw it in there for you guys.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 08:31:16 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Yeah, Macs are PCs but there's more to it than the OS.  The hardware architecture is still a bit different and then there's things like 3rd party support, build quality etc. etc. etc.

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
PC been using it since small wont feel comfortable if change to mac

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 01:50:39 AM »

Victoria

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Well, as someone who knows only basic computer knowledge and only uses the computer for things like internet and music, I love my Macbook Pro. I can understand why some people wouldn't like them though, if they're looking for certain other things in a computer. However, Macs are visually awesome and that just makes me happy.  Plus they literally never get viruses haha.

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 03:02:49 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
However, Macs are visually awesome and that just makes me happy.  Plus they literally never get viruses haha.

It will be interesting to see if/how peoples perceptions of the mac incapable of getting viruses is once their marketshare grows. From what I have read, 77%+ of all computer users still use a Windows based operating system, so there is really no point to spend the effort writing a virus that would attempt to infect the 23% or so other operating systems out there. I am curious to see what happens, if apple ever gets to the point where the have a larger marketshare, when many more virus scripts are created for OSX or what ever they have by then.

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Right on.  I do a lot of audio work and the drivers and software for all that stuff doesn't work on a virtual machine.  I'm studying video games design and development, so I'm pretty much dedicated to computers.  Over 20 years experience with them.  I'm certainly not one for the works-out-of-the-box style computer and Macs are great for that.  I dunno; they have plenty of advantages but none of them seem applicable to me and I still think that applying yourself just a little bit can save you so much money with a PC setup (i.e. if you're willing to keep it running smoothly).

Macs don't use a virtual machine to run Windows.  They have the same processors and hardware as PC - no virtual anything.  They used virtual machines back when they still used Motorola processors, but not anymore.  They run Windows natively, and you can boot straight to Windows or run it as a window in the OS X environment.

I myself is a Windows person. I just can't stand the price of Macs though. I just need my computer to work and I'm fine.

Also note that PC isn't the right term when it comes to pinning operating systems again each other. The abbreviation PC means personal computer, and we are arguing about the operating system and not the computer itself. If I'm not mistake, a Mac can be labeled a PC because if is a personal computer. Just thought I'd throw it in there for you guys.

Technically, you're correct - PC means "personal computer".  But just as a gigabyte means different things when you're asking a salesperson (a billion bytes) or a technician (1,073,741,824 bytes), the meaning of "PC" generally refers to a personal computer running the Windows operating system, and in most cases using an Intel processor.  There's the term "Wintel" that's used by some techies, but that doesn't exactly ring in the customer's ear like PC does.

Well, as someone who knows only basic computer knowledge and only uses the computer for things like internet and music, I love my Macbook Pro. I can understand why some people wouldn't like them though, if they're looking for certain other things in a computer. However, Macs are visually awesome and that just makes me happy.  Plus they literally never get viruses haha.

While it's true they rarely get viruses, viruses for them do exist.  They're just a smaller target right now.  As of 2011 Q3, they have just over 5% of the global market and nearly 13% of the domestic market.  But they're also the fastest growing computer brand in a market where most computer brands are losing market share - Apple grew about 25%, HP grew about 15%, all other brands shrank.

Viruses are mostly targeted to Windows OS because Windows OS is the dominant operating system.  Most of the major manufacturers sell Windows OS on the vast majority of their PCs, while OS X is only sold by Apple.  But as Apple's market share grows, it is becoming a bigger target - in the last few years a few viruses were targeting Apples used to log into certain porn sites.  Since I doubt you spend much time there, you're OK - for now.

Even so, Macs do have a good recovery failsafe in case your machine does get infected.  As long as you're using Time Machine, you can reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS very easily, then restore your computer to the state it was in at the last backup.  OS X Lion provides for simple restoration three ways - the Recovery HD, a prepared keychain drive, or via the Internet.

Personally, though, I think hackers see the iPad as the massive target, but with Apple's "sandbox" approach to the OS, they're unlikely to make much headway.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 12:57:45 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Don, the practicality of a Mac is nonexistant for me because I am not a person who buys silly adapters or extra hardware/software to use basic functionality. Without HDMI, my laptop is more or less useless to me.

As a gamer, a Mac is automatically out of the question.

A Mac mini is just pointless for what I do. I need everything I own in one little it-can-do-everything package. My Vaio is perfect for that. I stream movies and games on the big screen, I design on my LCD, I have everything on my notebook and I don't ever need anything else. I know people are using clouds nowadays, but I don't see myself getting into that technology any time soon. I prefer not being reliant on an Internet connection for my work.

Also, Macbooks tend to heat up like crazy. The power adapters can and will burn you, and the metal case, while sleek and sexy, is impractical in that metals have very high specific heats, and it shows on a Mac when it will literally leave you with sore, red marks if in contact with your skin for as little as five minutes after heating up.

They have their place - they are definitely more portable than almost any other laptop, but I am okay with sacrificing 25% of my portability & sexyness for 100% more gaming, 50% more features, and 100% more customization (you can turn Win7 in to anything you want it to be with little to no tech savvy).

Also, viruses on Windows? Doesn't happen. Viruses don't just browse the web looking for computers to infect. They are located on certain sites and certain emails. I've had about three viruses on my computer in the past, what, five years? And I browse some of the craziest sites on the web.

Don, you said Macs have easy to use rebooting features. Win7 automatically backs up your hard drive and in the case of a serious virus, you can easily reboot it to its previous state. If all else fails, you no longer need to go through a hassle to reformat your windows. You can re-install the OS anytime you turn on your computer.

And let's not forget that torrents are a pain with a Mac. Anyone who can't afford to drop (at least) $5,000 on Photoshop, Premier, Flash, MS Office, Vegas, and Illustrator is stuck using the free versions, or spending countless hours on their Mac trying to find a compatible torrent.

Now I would never download anything off of the Internet, but millions of people do.

As far as I know, Macs can't do anything with any .exe files, which are the most easy to find versions of programs. Even open source, legal programs are almost always made for Windows.

As far as Macs coming with all these programs "out of the box" - so does Win7! People think the battle is still OSX vs XP/Vista, but Win7 has long ago taken the trophy for the best OS. In the two years I have been using it, I have not had a single issue with it.

OSX gets credit where it is due: It finally pushed other developers to create UI's that are much more intuitive for the user. OSX beats XP and Vista hands down, but Microsoft took all the amazing stuff about Macs and incorporated them (arguably better) into Win7.

I've used both OS's to death, by the way. I actually preferred Macs while I was stuck using Vista, which was arguably the worst piece of trash ever developed and branded as an OS. That thing still gives me nightmares. I remember waiting 10-20 minutes for the darn computer to even boot up!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 02:07:01 AM »

Victoria

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Also, Macbooks tend to heat up like crazy. The power adapters can and will burn you, and the metal case, while sleek and sexy, is impractical in that metals have very high specific heats, and it shows on a Mac when it will literally leave you with sore, red marks if in contact with your skin for as little as five minutes after heating up.

This is my main gripe with Macbooks, honestly. They get super hot and they're cold in the mornings :(

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 02:08:38 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
  When you buy a Mac it is a house with all the furniture BOLTED down and you are charged about double the combined value. In a PC, you can get a great TV if you like watching games, you can invest in a recreation room, a better deck, a better kitchen, and there are countless companies to compare. That in my opinion is how the market SHOULD be. I've seen people mod a PC to the extent that I cannot tell what kind of computer it is ~ the explorer, icons, cursors, as well as skins for the outside. Almost looks like an entirely new OS - I'm a sucker for customization. Macs have the weird problem of looking like a Mac despite whatever wallpaper you use. Might have something to do with that bar at the top.

Plus I use PC because I'm a hipster designer. 90% of designers use Macs~

Also I've gotten to the point where I cannot live without a taskbar. Organizing files on a Mac is a nightmare for me. When I first saw the Windows 8 image I thought "No taskbar. I'm screwed." But thank god it will have the explorer option.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 02:14:09 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying Alex, but I will put in my 2 cents from the experience I have had with my Macbook Pro.

Now, I will attest to the fact that my Macbook does indeed get warm, when I watch HD movies or am using a program that is fairly CPU intensive. I will however say that the heat that I have felt is not enough for me to feel much discomfort if I rest me skin against the source for a fair amount of time. Same goes with the power adapter, yes it does get a little warm but I have never felt it get remotely close to being able to burn anything. I have had experience with the adapter and the macbook in very warm ambient temperatures when I was living in Australia and had non of the major issues you described.

.exe files are indeed not used in the OSX, instead there is the .dmg file. What I will say hypothetically, If I indeed had the inclination torrent a major programs, say CS5, I am confident that I would have no trouble finding a torrent and having the programs installed on my mac within a half hour.

Granted, not all makers of programs choose to release in the .dmg format, from my experience, it is very easy to find a quality substitute that will fullfil the requirements of whatever program you may wish to have.

I totally agree on the virus issue. I have owned my Windows machine for years and never have ran into virus troubles, mainly because I am not foolish with how I explore the internet. As I have said before, I own both and would not trade my custom built Windows machine for any Apple product but I am just expressing what I have experienced from my fairly extensive usage of both OS's and hardware.

they're cold in the mornings :(

Haha, agree 100% mine feels like a block of ice when I forget and leave it in my car up at the ski hill :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:20:16 AM by Curt »

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 02:21:01 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Also I've gotten to the point where I cannot live without a taskbar. Organizing files on a Mac is a nightmare for me. When I first saw the Windows 8 image I thought "No taskbar. I'm screwed." But thank god it will have the explorer option.

Windows 8 scared me half to death. It looked like everything an OS should never, ever be. It stool looks dreadful to me, and I am wondering what the final build will be like. I always hated the tile layout on their mobile phones.

Are there release pictures/videos of what the "explorer" option will look like?

@Curt: I actually did burn myself on the power adapter before, and learned my lesson. Then again, the other day Victoria got a piece of mail about a lawsuit against Mac for their power adapters, something along the lines of them exploding I think? My Vaio actually heats up like crazy, but because the bottom is plastic, it's far more bearable than a Mac heating up.

While getting CS5 for a Mac may be easy, getting programs that are a bit more obscure is very difficult.

I forgot to mention, what's up with how difficult it is to manage Mac from behind the scenes? I like how on my Win7 I can access Command Prompt and do almost anything I want with my computer, and how if I want to terminate processes and optimize the performance I just have to press ctrl+alt+del and manage anything I want.

One last thing, and this actually made designing difficult for me, what's up with not being able to maximize the windows? You have to drag them out, but you can only drag so far and I am someone who needs content taking up as much of the screen as possible. The less UI the better. Heck, I stopped using Internet Explorer, not because of its inferior features back in 2004, but because Firefox got rid of that annoying, 1px white line around all web pages.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 02:35:36 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Maybe I have just been lucky with my experiences so far, but thats really all I can base my opinions off of.

As for the maximizing windows, that has been updated a bit with Lion, at least for internet browsers ( I have only used safari and chrome ). There is now a button you can press in the upper right hand corner of the browser that allows with window to be maximized into the entire screen. I have not tested this too much with other programs but I have yet to see something similar implemented in those, which is a bit unfortunate, but I am still able to use "full screen" since I keep my dock on autohide anyway.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:35:44 AM by Curt »