You are Here:
Maximum Minimalist Deck - By Project 3.19 (KS)

Author (Read 1706 times)

Maximum Minimalist Deck - By Project 3.19 (KS)
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:56:29 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Maximum Minimalist Deck

I'm not sure what is worse. That KS has approved this or that 5 people have backed it. Hopefully the blank decks will cost them more than they get in funding.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Maximum Minimalist Deck - By Project 3.19 (KS)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Includes 2 Custom Gaff Cards
This is interesting.....I would love to see the gaff cards...if i can tell them apart

Limited edition of 2500 decks - Never to be re-printed again!
re-PRINTED?

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 05:42:55 AM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Completely against KS terms.  Reselling an already made product from someone else.  I know many now have sent messages to KS but they are just ignoring it.  I guess that they might think its funny.  But by definition they are allowing something completely against terms. 
Surely everyone backing it is also doing so as a joke.
But if someone isn't, and sues the crap out of them for false advertising, and KS knowingly allowing it to happen, I guess the last laugh would be elsewhere.
 :o

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
A lot of the text in the "story" section looks familiar.

Off the top of my head, it's copy-and-paste stuff from descriptions of David Blaine's decks.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
Only 300gsm?

310gsm or nothing!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 07:00:51 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
310gsm with Linen Air is better.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »

naggarwal

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:
Only backers can comment, dang! I bet it is someone who wants kickstarter to open comments for non-backers.
Notice how there are 26 cards of either color in each deck, a number equal to letters in English alphabet. You can hide a message with cards in a deck if it is simple enough.

My collection is https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7189, I hope you will like it.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 09:09:25 PM »

CherryNukaCola

• 52 Plus Joker Member
This is a joke...right?  :-\

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 03:06:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Only backers can comment, dang! I bet it is someone who wants kickstarter to open comments for non-backers.

What some people do in order to leave comments on a project is to back it for a single US dollar.  Then they're free to comment to their heart's content (or the creator's tolerance, whichever is least).  As the campaign is preparing to close, the $1 backers either cancel their backing and spend nothing, or just leave the buck there and are happy with having been able to comment.

You can, as a non-backer, ask them a question from the project's home page.  I just asked them a cute one, just to see what answer they'll post, if any: "So, what company is printing your decks for you?  Or do you have your own offset press?"

One of KS's TOS states that you actually have to create something with your project, and that it can't be used to present pre-made goods - in essence, it would make KS a store, and they're trying (in fits and starts) to not be a store.  (It's probably because it keeps their liability much lower!)  The "double blank deck" is hardly a new innovation in magic - I'd daresay they're at least a century old by now if not more.  I know shops that sell these cards in bulk, the intent being that you could make them into flash cards that are conveniently pocket-sized and more durable than typical index cards.

One could try to argue that they're selling these as magician's gaff decks, but again, it's a pre-existing product already readily available.  And there's no denying the bullshit descriptions of the cards, like the photo that's described as having "detailed back designs" and a "straight flush."  I think my favorite part is how the "Pros" and "Cons" have the same first two items on their lists!  So, it's GOOD AND BAD??

From their "Accountability" statement:
We do not foresee any problems with printing the cards. We are fully prepared for the printing process to avoid any potential delay. Once they are printed, we will package them in our facility, and ship them to your door in a timely manner.

Printed?  Where?  Do you see any ink in there, 'cause I sure as hell don't.

It has to be, executed by people with more time on their hands than brains in their heads.  I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them - though as a trained martial artist I could probably throw them farther than most...  :))

Rule of Thumb #1: Never back a project created by any group or individual using a bogus company name to represent themselves, especially when they fail to provide a website, email contacts or Facebook pages.  More often than not, it's someone trying to avoid being traced when the shit hits the fan...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:09:05 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 05:39:24 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

If it's not, I feel like an ass. It made me laugh.  :P
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 12:41:59 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
The best deck, ever. You didn't understand this gap in playing card printing. This is a new type of invisible foil metallic ink! ;)

P.S. Kickstarter can be sometimes very inventive and unpredictable in interpretations of its rules. Don't forget that this rules exists to secure Kickstarter from possible claims and troubles, not you from possible problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net