geneva

• Newcomer
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:25:41 AM by Rob Wright »

Re: Islet Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »

naggarwal

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:
Is "Mixed patterns on backs of the cards" really a good idea? For one this makes the cards unplayable for almost any game. I do not understand this.
Notice how there are 26 cards of either color in each deck, a number equal to letters in English alphabet. You can hide a message with cards in a deck if it is simple enough.

My collection is https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7189, I hope you will like it.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 03:24:20 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Islet Playing Cards KS link

I read the "these are not playable cards" around here a lot. This is just not a true statement. Would I play poker with these. No, but I can play solitaire all day long. I think poker was probably the last thing this designer was thinking. This is a Art deck, and that is it. She's not trying to make 1,000 decks. Looks like 50-100 decks to me.
I'm not just picking on you naggarwal, because I've probably said it myself before. For me, as a collector, going forward. I plan to look at a project for what it is, before making judgements.
As far as this deck. I like it. The Face cards are fun. The numbers are large. I think this would be great for younger kids to play with.

(Added link to this and first post)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:27:18 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Is "Mixed patterns on backs of the cards" really a good idea? For one this makes the cards unplayable for almost any game. I do not understand this.

Some decks are made for serious card play.  Some decks are a bit more whimsical, meant for absolutely unserious card play.  This deck fits squarely in the latter category.  It lacks many of the features found in a practical deck, but that doesn't render it unplayable - just less desirable to some, especially people who use cards for a specific purpose, such as magic or cardistry.

Trust me, I didn't understand them much when I first encountered such decks, either!  They have their fans and can actually be quite fun and interesting - but they're not what you'd call "all-purpose."  Not a crime, but more of a handicap when it comes to sales.  The creator was smart in going for small-batch print runs, so she's not left holding the bag with a lot of unsold decks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Islet Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:26:42 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I LOVE ART DECKS!

You just gotta appreciate the decks for the design and effort behind it.
Appreciate for its creativity, its theme and concept, not just, "can i play poker with these cards?"

There are plenty of playable poker decks in the market. Sometimes, you just gotta appreciate something thought out of the box.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 05:45:55 AM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Although she does say she already made these, and sold out of them, and now wants to make more.

So its a reprint.  Or resale.  Against KS terms technically.  Well, maybe grey area.... :-\

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Against KS terms technically.  Well, maybe grey area.... :-\

I think everything is in that grey area until KS gets about 100 complaints. Then they might think about shutting it down after they get another 100 complaints, but not likely.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Interesting deck.  She should make all the index suits the same size.  I notice she is using the suit indicator for her courts for her suit index.   

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like the randomness of this deck. It looks fun from an observer point of view to me. Absolutely has some charm going for it.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 10:48:02 PM »

naggarwal

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

Some decks are made for serious card play.  Some decks are a bit more whimsical, meant for absolutely unserious card play.  This deck fits squarely in the latter category.  It lacks many of the features found in a practical deck, but that doesn't render it unplayable - just less desirable to some, especially people who use cards for a specific purpose, such as magic or cardistry.

Trust me, I didn't understand them much when I first encountered such decks, either!  They have their fans and can actually be quite fun and interesting - but they're not what you'd call "all-purpose."  Not a crime, but more of a handicap when it comes to sales.  The creator was smart in going for small-batch print runs, so she's not left holding the bag with a lot of unsold decks.

I think I see your point. I will back it and see how I feels about it later. I do like them on this second visit. I ordered a few. Also, she does have a uniform back design, which is not at all bad on eyes.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:54:09 PM by naggarwal »
Notice how there are 26 cards of either color in each deck, a number equal to letters in English alphabet. You can hide a message with cards in a deck if it is simple enough.

My collection is https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7189, I hope you will like it.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 01:01:04 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Those patterns from backs with pips incorporated into them could be nice on faces of number cards in possible semi-transformation deck. Courts are the same for all suits :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net