You are Here:
Arcana Playing Cards by Chris Ovdiyenko (KS)

Author (Read 9544 times)

Re: Arcana Playing Cards by Chris Ovdiyenko (KS)
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
i still think he needs to put a number or roman numeral for his Tarot Cards.  Card collectors don't know the order of the Major Arcana. They usually put it in the Top Middle.  Be different and put them in the Top Right and visa versa like playing cards...

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 12:10:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
i still think he needs to put a number or roman numeral for his Tarot Cards.  Card collectors don't know the order of the Major Arcana. They usually put it in the Top Middle.  Be different and put them in the Top Right and visa versa like playing cards...

Actually, I'd put them in all four corners, as they appear on the other card faces.  I'd use Arabic numerals - Roman gets big when you hit numbers like XVIII when you can just say "18".  The Arabic numerals (a.k.a. the numbers the Western World's been using for centuries, since the Arabs developed "al'jebr" - it's translates literally as "reunion of broken parts," but it's better known as algebra) just take up less space and are quickly and easily read.

There is a French card game called "tarot" - it uses a tarot (cartomancy) format, but uses the French (International Standard) suits and the Major Arcana are used as a trump suit, as well as being decorated with scenes of events taking place in a city setting on one side, a country village setting on the other  These cards, with the "expansion set," would be perfect for playing that game.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.

Was looking through the Update comments and he mentioned that he plans to include the numerals.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Was looking through the Update comments and he mentioned that he plans to include the numerals.

Roman or Arabic?

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:45 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Chris is about to eclipse 100k any moment now with 15 days left in the funding process.  He's in Jackson Robinson territory now :)

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
kickstarter comment #400

Creator Chris Ovdiyenko 23 minutes ago
Okay folks, I had a couple of ideas that had seemed a little out of reach or impractical until now. But, these are very doable and I think are pretty awesome stretch goals:
135K - The Illustrated Guide to Arcana hardbound book released.
150K - Every KS deck vellum wrapped, signed and numbered. Essentially, every deck, for backers only, becomes a Limited Edition.
I think the hardbound book would be awesome, I have already looked into a reasonable source for the printing which would make the book come in around $25 or so. It'll be hard bound in fine book cloth, and have an illustration of every card in the full tarot set and explanation of it's meaning as well as methods for reading the tarot. This would be for the December delivery of the expansion deck.
I also think the vellum wrapping, signed and numbered, for every deck is a really big deal. I usually print extra decks to sell on my website, but these versions would only be for backers. So essentially, every deck you as a backer would get, would be a limited edition deck. This would make your decks much more valuable than any others, since only backers could get them. The cards and tuck would be the same as decks I sell later, but the wrapping, numbering, and signing will set these apart.
Super excited about these goals, thanks again everyone!!!

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 07:45:16 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Arcana has passed the sherrlock holmes playing cards in overall funding.  It will soon pass call of cthulhu and continental/crown in funding.

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »

naggarwal

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:
Only problem with this deck is that it will come after half a year from now. I am drooling over it since its launch. They are so good looking!
Notice how there are 26 cards of either color in each deck, a number equal to letters in English alphabet. You can hide a message with cards in a deck if it is simple enough.

My collection is https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7189, I hope you will like it.

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 11:20:39 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Only problem with this deck is that it will come after half a year from now. I am drooling over it since its launch. They are so good looking!

The nice thing Chris is doing is two fulfillments. The Standard decks are not going to be held up, and should be shipped around July. The Tarot/ add ons won't be delivered until the end of the year due to the extra amount of art work.

He is also has another add on. A two piece box/tuck that will hold the entire Tarot deck.
Really cool

and a custom wood display box

and a Silk Tarot Reading Cloth
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 02:03:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Those "bonus-sized" boxes are REALLY nice.  Perfect for holding a deck with its expansion cards to make a full tarot deck.

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 06:04:52 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
The amount of thought and care that has gone into this project is amazing.  I wasn't around for his previous campaigns, nor was I around for any projects that have raised more money than this, but I can see how starting a kickstarter campaign is an art in itself.  Take criticism off the bat, listen to suggestions and adapt, and finding creative ways to entice people into pledging more money.

The campaign is trending towards just shy of 155k.  This would make it surpass the first federal 52 campaign, and fall a little short of the muertos playing cards.  Something is telling me a deck of these might have some value :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:05:24 AM by EvanEssence »

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 11:34:36 PM »

naggarwal

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:
The amount of thought and care that has gone into this project is amazing.  I wasn't around for his previous campaigns, nor was I around for any projects that have raised more money than this, but I can see how starting a kickstarter campaign is an art in itself.  Take criticism off the bat, listen to suggestions and adapt, and finding creative ways to entice people into pledging more money.

The campaign is trending towards just shy of 155k.  This would make it surpass the first federal 52 campaign, and fall a little short of the muertos playing cards.  Something is telling me a deck of these might have some value :)

Only thing that made all this so much better is the pleasant nature of Chris. I gave him a suggestion through a message and he gave all his thought into the replies. You like it when someone takes your suggestions so seriously. I am just waiting to see fruits of those suggestions.

But more than anything, the work he did on this deck made it a masterpiece. I think it is better than my whole collection. And that of many others. Like someone else pointed out in this thread every card is telling a story. Kings do not have just their court in the background but what makes them special. More than that, they have personality. You can almost tell a story of how they rule. That, I think, is what any collector would like to have in their collection. And I am pretty sure people are going for extras to use them too. 

Like I said it is going to take long long time to reach me, and I can barely wait.
Notice how there are 26 cards of either color in each deck, a number equal to letters in English alphabet. You can hide a message with cards in a deck if it is simple enough.

My collection is https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7189, I hope you will like it.

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
You are right, Chris is extremely approachable and always keen to discuss his artwork. He was recently kind enough to take some time out to answer some questions I had regarding his creative process and work spaces. If you are interested I have posted the discussion on my site here:

http://www.magasaki.com/#!Lifestyle-Process-and-Creative-Spaces-with-Chris-Ovdiyenko/c16ty/BCB5893B-0487-416A-A55A-81A0D28DA2C0

Cheers

Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2015, 06:46:11 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
This just hit the final stretch goal meaning that all decks for ks backers get a sleeve that won't be available in aftermarket and some gilded decks are on the way in the next few hours.

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I absolutely love how far this deck has come, and couldn't be happier for Chris. I want to echo all of the things that have been said about him, he is a genuine and attentive guy that really cares about his backers and weighs every option, and will always respond quickly and thoroughly. For his Oracle deck he even took an idea I had for a yes/no gaff card, made it happen and went so far as to give me credit on the card itself, I was blown away and am not shy about sharing that fact, it is something I am still really excited about.

The gilded decks will be a full set of all three decks, hand guilded with Paladium, and will come in a hand bound leather 'book' case made by Chris himself, the tier will come with all of the rewards from his $500 tier as well, at the same price. At $500 I don't think there is anyway I can make it happen without a benefactor or a loan shark, but it hurts to pass it by, these, I have no doubts, will be truly amazing, one of a kind and worth the LE label.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
That is very cool. I agree his attention to his backers is definitely something that stands out. When a creator does this the campaigns are much more enjoyable in my opinion.

Hope whoever wants a gilded deck set gets one. The set is a pretty great deal really.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I really couldn't give a single hoot about the tarot aspect of this, but Chris is an amazing artist and generally great guy, so getting it just for the quality of the art is mainly where I'm coming from.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
3 gilded sets left until 11PM, where the last 15 will be available.

So...18?  I'm not good at adding :)

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2015, 01:57:16 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
9 left
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:57:52 AM by EvanEssence »

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Project Funded at $190,592 with only 1 Gilded set not sold. Congratulations to Chris Ovdiyenko
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
$190k very nice. Congratulations indeed and another hit on his hands.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Apparently the last gilded is gone anyway.

I took a big plunge this time and took the gilded set, a brick, 10 prints, 2 expansion boxes and a book. My bank account is upset!

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 10:33:12 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Second highest funded playing card deck ever on kickstarter!

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:30 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I pledged for the gilded set as well. It will be interesting to see if Chris can actually pull it off, as from all accounts its a hell of a lot specialized handiwork, and Palladium is a bit unusual as well. This could be Chris' gilded cage...

I pledged from another account for just the poker decks to be sure of getting them mid-year.

/bama