You are Here:
Greetings all!!

Author (Read 835 times)

Greetings all!!
« on: July 16, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »

Northwest29

• Newcomer
Hello everyone!  I have always been a fan of playing cards and the many unique designs that can be found. However, I have only become interested, very recently, in starting to collect decks that appeal to me. And it occurred to me (yep, I can be slow) that there must be other folks with similar interests out in cyberspace. So, Google to the rescue - and here I am.

Where would be a good place, source of information (besides this forum) where I could find out more about collecting? Any suggestions are appreciated.

A question of curiosity regarding Bicycle deck sealing - can somebody enlighten me as to how the cellophane is sealed on the ends? I see no indication of an adhesive being used and have wonder about this for quite sometime. TNX

See you all on the forum!!
Ron
"Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste."
Ron

Re: Greetings all!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello everyone!  I have always been a fan of playing cards and the many unique designs that can be found. However, I have only become interested, very recently, in starting to collect decks that appeal to me. And it occurred to me (yep, I can be slow) that there must be other folks with similar interests out in cyberspace. So, Google to the rescue - and here I am.

Where would be a good place, source of information (besides this forum) where I could find out more about collecting? Any suggestions are appreciated.

A question of curiosity regarding Bicycle deck sealing - can somebody enlighten me as to how the cellophane is sealed on the ends? I see no indication of an adhesive being used and have wonder about this for quite sometime. TNX

See you all on the forum!!
Ron

Welcome to the Discourse, Ron!  We're glad to have you.

Good sites - wopc.co.uk is good; the World of Playing Cards, maintained by the IPCS (International Playing Card Society).

Many companies have a Facebook page, so poking around Facebook is often a good idea.  Twitter and Instagram as well.

There's another forum similar to this one, but this is larger - it's United Cardists (unitedcardists.com).

Regarding USPC's cellophane wrappers - there is some kind of clear adhesive used.  If you're careful enough and your cellophane isn't glued too thoroughly, you can actually release the glue seals and remove the cellophane as a single, intact sheet.  Magicians have been known to reuse these, along with fresh sticker seals (sold at most magic shops) to open a box, rig it in some fashion, then reseal it to make it appear as if new and unopened.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:44:21 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:35:43 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Welcome Ron
I'm sure you will find lots of information here about collecting. You can check out The Source for basic information on many aspects, and the regular posts in the Plethora and Cellar provide lots of info and comment.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:36:39 AM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »

Northwest29

• Newcomer
Thanks for the warm welcome and information. Looking forward to the journey of collecting - should be very interesting.

Ron
"Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste."
Ron

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the warm welcome and information. Looking forward to the journey of collecting - should be very interesting.

Ron

Welcome Ron. It's a fun journey. Try walking it first- there are a boat load of decks out there that you are going to want. I have over 200 different decks, and probably another 1,000 that I want.
You may want to consider a 2nd job to pay for them  :t11:
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome Ron,

Don't let Rob scare you........although he's 100% correct unfortunately, lol.

Don pretty much summed it up, just start poking around, you'll find more information than you can shake a stick at......but don't be afraid to ask question here, there are plenty of knowledgeable members from just about every niche of Playing Cards.

Most importantly......have fun :)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
welcome aboard Ron!
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy