You are Here:
KS Stretch goals

Author (Read 552 times)

KS Stretch goals
« on: March 21, 2014, 02:45:34 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
First off let me just say how helpful this place is for newbies. I have been noticing that many card projects on KS have been doing stretch goals for items like deck seals and cellophane wrap Ect. I was wondering how much is to much to ask for in a stretch goal as these projects are asking $5,000.00 more and to add the deck seals is for a 2500 print deck is around $250.00 so $5,000.00 seams a bit high but if it helps to balance your expenses it could be a good thing. What do you guys think?
If at first you don't succeed try try again

Re: KS Stretch goals
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I don't think you can attach the "Upgrade" to the amount needed to be raised to get them, as a "This is what it's gonna cost". There are alot of costs that aren't as obviouse that need to be offest somewhere along the line or it just takes chunks out of your funding. I guess a simple exampe would be Free Domestic Shipping, while it's free to the backer, it's by no means Free to the creator.

Things like that seem to be the downfall of many a project. I'm sure there are plenty of members/designers who have actually gone through the process that can elaborate better than I.

Re: KS Stretch goals
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
There is the actual cost to get something done, but there's also the hidden cost like Sparkz talked about.

For example, the custom seals. USPCC will charge you X amount to get those done, but are you the designer? Is someone else doing that for you? What's the cost if you're the one designing it or sourcing it? That adds up. What is your time worth to you?

Same with upgrade in paper stock, it could cost you more for postage. I know it's only so much more weight, but that can add up for international shipping as well as you ending up with more stock since you have to print more, which you might have to find a place to store it when you get the decks or might even cost your more to freight it all to you.

Your best bet is to look at things clearly and look at potential hidden cost associated with each upgrade and what not to see how much you should raise to make it worthwhile for everyone (include and your potential backers).