You are Here:
slippery cards

Author (Read 10444 times)

Re: slippery cards
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Thank you for all your replies, I think i will put my black scorpion deck aside and buy me two raider backs, two tally hos and a artisan deck :)

If you can find them, I highly recommend getting some Tally Ho's printed in Cincinatti, Ohio. All of USPCC's decks were MUCH better before the factory moved to Kentucky, and Tallys were the cream of the crop (without going too far back in time). The bottom of the box should say where they were printed, and in most cases red or blue seals also means OH (though there was an overlap in when the factory moved and when they switched to black seals.

I would agree that the early Erlanger stuff wasn't so great, but by this point they're actually producing better cards than Cincinnati did in its final months.  The only exception would be Bicycles because they switched to a lighter stock due to problems with the new printer, probably the web press.  The troublesome decks were made in late 2009 and most of 2010.  By 2011, they were making good-quality decks.

They have been improving, but I still don't think they've reached the best of the OH decks. And I don't think they ever will. It's hard to explain, it's more about the "feel" of the cards rather than the performance. Or maybe it's just in my head  :karrit:

And ruicorreia is right on the money regarding the fanning powder. I've used that technique several times, and it works like a charm even without using a dry cloth (though that's probably better). Only thing you can do wrong with that is using too much powder.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:25:02 PM by MagikFingerz »
- Tom

Re: slippery cards
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

They have been improving, but I still don't think they've reached the best of the OH decks. And I don't think they ever will. It's hard to explain, it's more about the "feel" of the cards rather than the performance. Or maybe it's just in my head  :karrit:

It's in your head...  :))

They haven't reached the best of the Ohio decks - and it's not what I claimed, either.  I said that it's better now than it was at the END of the Ohio facility's operation.  Certainly any deck made on the sheet-fed press is better - I've been told by people with first-hand knowledge that the sheet-fed press was old and rickety, held together practically with string and bubble gum towards the end.  It's one of the reasons people were making a big deal for some years after about how decks from the web press were so superior to anything from a sheet-fed press - this is certainly not the case today.

It's like the story my dad told me about baking ham.  My mother used to bake hams, big ones with the bone still in it.  My father noticed that she'd cut off the small end of the ham and he had no idea why.  When asked, my mother told him that it was because it made the ham taste better and that she learned it from her mom.  A few weeks later, my grandmother was visiting and she confirmed this story, stating that she also learned this technique from her mom.  A few months later, we were deep in rural Quebec at my great-grandmother's cabin in the woods, and when my father told her the whole story, she laughed very hard.  She explained, "I cut the short end off the ham because my oven was too small to fit the whole thing!"

The same thing holds true regarding sheet-fed versus web presses.  For one specific time in history, that was the case, but it had nothing to do with the either press's specific capabilities and everything to do with how one of the presses was old and in bad shape.  That machine's gone, and it's no longer the case.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/