You are Here:
JFX

Author (Read 809 times)

JFX
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:42:46 AM »

JOEYFX

• Newcomer
Hey,
My name is Joey (or JOEYFX, or JFX), Im 20 years old and doing Cardistry/GamblingSleights/Editing and Motion Graphics for about 5-6 years.
Im currently majoring in Chemistry which means time is short on me but I'll try my best to contribute to this forum if any editing or motion design questions come up.
You can check out some of my work at:

www.youtube.com/denkste144

regards
Joey
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:43:41 AM by JOEYFX »

Re: JFX
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 04:54:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome aboard - you seem to be doing pretty well here so far, as far as knowing the ropes and all that.  You have any questions, just tap a mod on the shoulder - there's me, Lara, Curt and the head honcho, Alex.

It's great to have more activity in the Magic/Cardistry forum, so thanks!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 04:57:01 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Currently majoring in Biology here, the Chem classes are the worst. Specifically, the labs.

I know I heard of you somewhere but I can't place my finger on where. I love your work, video editing skill is an amazing talent, one I wish I had, and one I adore watching on the screen.

I'm looking forward to seeing your expertise, it's rare we get some talented video editors on here. In fact, I don't think we have any. Plenty of designers though.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:05:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I'm looking forward to seeing your expertise, it's rare we get some talented video editors on here. In fact, I don't think we have any. Plenty of designers though.

Hey, I was a pretty good editor when I was in my film production classes - Hunter College and NYU Tisch School of the Arts...  It's been a while, but I hear it's like riding a bicycle...  :))

So Joey, what's you're favorite part about working on a video?  The shooting, the editing, the part where it's all done and you can take a deep breath and relax?  Want to let the forum in on a few of your secrets for good videography and editing?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »

JOEYFX

• Newcomer
Currently majoring in Biology here, the Chem classes are the worst. Specifically, the labs.
:D thats the best part, staying till night in the lab to find out why things not work the way they should.

I know I heard of you somewhere but I can't place my finger on where.
at unitedcardists.com, if I remember correctly I flamed/trolled you a bit over there... no hard feelings though =/

So Joey, what's you're favorite part about working on a video?  The shooting, the editing, the part where it's all done and you can take a deep breath and relax?  Want to let the forum in on a few of your secrets for good videography and editing?

I like every part actually. Starting from scratch only having a couple scenes in your mind that you want to make real. Spending hours to find the right camera angle and positioning of lights. Playing a soundtrack over and over again to find the right beat to place your cut.  The best part though is if your video is done and you think its great, you take another look at it 2 days later and you think its the worst thing ever and you start to work on your next video.

Want to let the forum in on a few of your secrets for good videography and editing?
Its just practise. Design is the art of making your work look less shitty over time. For years my videos and cinematography looked ugly as hell (and most of them still do now).
Watching (good) movies is pretty good practise aswell.

regards
Joey

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forum! Your videos are awesome! I've been watching them for a while now.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Ahh, yeah! I think you hated the Vortex design.

If I knew the criticism was coming from someone who clearly has more talent I'd have responded more kindly. Back then I figured you were another kid who opened Photoshop a few times and decided to be an expert.

Sorry for overreacting at the time. Learning to take critique is a learning process. Back then I thought any negative remark would sway everyone else to think the same. Boy how wrong I was. :P

So I'm curious, where do you find the time to keep up with design + programs, as well as cardistry, while majoring in such a difficult field?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 02:11:08 AM »

JOEYFX

• Newcomer
Sorry for overreacting at the time
No worries, I said quite some stupid things :)

So I'm curious, where do you find the time to keep up with design + programs, as well as cardistry, while majoring in such a difficult field?
I dont actually.
I hardly do any of these during the semester, after Im done with my exams I start getting my flourishes and edits "back into shape".
Thats why Im doing alot of videos right now, because I have some time until the next semester starts in october.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:03 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums! I have actually been watching your videos for a while, but never bothered to subscribe. But now, I have! :) I'm glad you've joined us!