Re: Post Your Collection / Your Newest Acquisitions
« Reply #425 on: December 10, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks kd, I was actually using the same chart. So F has multiple dates and yes, the non-tax stamp rules out the earlier dates. But can you pin point it more accuratley? I assume the chart means that with the letter "F" it was printed between 1984 and 2004....is that correct? Not that it's that important with this deck, just trying to understand how to date things a little better.

No, it goes in a rotation so you would read that chart as narrowing it down to 1984 OR 2004 as opposed 1984-2004.  For instance, a deck printed in 1985 would have a G, 86 an H etc.  Gives them a 20+ year rotation.

Ah, I got it, I can see how it's set up now. You think I would have noticed the dates between 84 & 04 were there on the chart also, lol............Thank you!

« Reply #426 on: December 10, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Thought I would join in the fun. Got these in a trade with Shade a few weeks ago an awaiting my CARC Black Friday haul.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:15:19 PM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #427 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
One of my Black Friday orders arrived today :)

« Reply #428 on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:09 PM »

Barry Hurton

• Forum Regular
I'm waiting for my packages! I got an a few treats ;)

« Reply #429 on: December 11, 2013, 12:41:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks kd, I was actually using the same chart. So F has multiple dates and yes, the non-tax stamp rules out the earlier dates. But can you pin point it more accuratley? I assume the chart means that with the letter "F" it was printed between 1984 and 2004....is that correct? Not that it's that important with this deck, just trying to understand how to date things a little better.

No, it goes in a rotation so you would read that chart as narrowing it down to 1984 OR 2004 as opposed 1984-2004.  For instance, a deck printed in 1985 would have a G, 86 an H etc.  Gives them a 20+ year rotation.

Ah, I got it, I can see how it's set up now. You think I would have noticed the dates between 84 & 04 were there on the chart also, lol............Thank you!

Here's a more up-to-date chart that I helped Lee Asher with:
http://www.leeasher.com/playground/articles/how_to_date_a_deck_of_cards.html

There's a number of clues that point to this deck being from 1984.

First of all, it couldn't be earlier than 1965 - it's not just because of the lack of a tax stamp, but also due to the presence of a bar code on the box's bottom.  UPC (Universal Product Code) bar codes we're used at USPC until around the early 1980s.

I didn't see if the deck had a sticker seal or a stamp seal that has to be moistened before application, but no bother.  They transitioned to sticker seals some time around the time they started using the bar codes.

The AoS letter code is simple - the letter followed by four numbers.  The codes became more complicated over time.  I'm reasonably sure that by 2004, they'd already added a second letter to the end of the code, and your code lacks this.

The most modern codes make the job of dating the deck a lot simpler - they're preceded by a four-digit number and a hyphen.  The first two digits are the week of the year it was made, the last two digits are the last two digits of that year.  For example: say you have a deck with an AoS code of "1113-S4835N".  You know without even checking the letter that this deck was made in the 11th week of 2013 - mid-March of that year.  For older codes such as yours, a little more investigation is needed to be conclusive about the year.

There are many other clues one can look for - tax stamps and their cancellations, face designs (particularly the courts), box design, etc.  And bear in mind the majority of all this applies to USPC decks, and all of it applies only to decks of US manufacture made for sale in the US market.  (Some of it might also hold true for the International Playing Card Company - it started as a Canadian subsidiary of USPC complete with its own presses, but eventually the presses were sold and today the company is only a marketing firm for USPC brands in Canada.)

But I'm rambling again...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #430 on: December 11, 2013, 07:15:29 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Thanks Don. I didn't know that little tidbit about the bar codes. So did they use stamp seals from 1966 (no more tax stamps) to the 80s (sticker seals)? And do you know a good reference page for box designs? I have a few sealed vintage decks that I'd like to know more about.

« Reply #431 on: December 11, 2013, 07:28:56 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks Don, very helpful. My ultimate goal is to add some vintage decks to my collection, but really want to have a good idea of what I'm looking at before venturing down that road.

« Reply #432 on: December 11, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks Don. I didn't know that little tidbit about the bar codes. So did they use stamp seals from 1966 (no more tax stamps) to the 80s (sticker seals)? And do you know a good reference page for box designs? I have a few sealed vintage decks that I'd like to know more about.

There's some good info at that Cypress Films website.

It was actually in late-1965 that the manufacturer stamp seals came into being - the law was repealed sometime in the fall if I remember correctly, maybe in October.  The bar codes seems to have come surprisingly late, but not when you consider that UPC codes were originally developed by a consortium of grocers in concert with IBM.  The first item ever scanned was in 1974, and it was a ten-pack case of packets of Wrigley's Gum - and that item now sits on display in the Smithsonian Institute.  It apparently wasn't until some years later that the coding system was expanded to cover other retail goods.

(Trivia - there are 1,000,000,000,000 possible combinations of UPC codes.  Yes, that's one trillion.  But for the Europeans, that wasn't enough - they use a modified version of UPC codes with an extra digit, creating 10,000,000,000,000 (ten trillion) possible combinations.  Wait, do the Brits still call a trillion a "million billion"?

For box designs...that's a bit trickier.  Not as many databases exist for them.  There are some cues, particularly if the box is still factory-sealed.  For example, it wasn't until some time in the 1950s that playing card tuck boxes got cellophane wrapped after being sealed with their tax stamp.  Find a pack with the factory wrapper still on it, it's going to be a "post-war" pack, post-war being defined as after World War Two.

I am hardly the authority on this sort of thing.  Check with some of our vintage deck collectors.

« Reply #433 on: December 11, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »

Barry Hurton

• Forum Regular
Wait, do the Brits still call a trillion a "million billion"?

Nah... We switched to base 1,000 for big numbers instead of base 1,000,000 so to us a billion is (1,000)^3 and a trillion is (1,000)^4 which is 1,000,000,000,000... It does make so much more sense the way we used to do it :(

A million billion, or ((1,000)^2)*(1,000)^3))=(1,000)^5 which we would actually call a quadtrillion.
 We officially switched in 1974.

« Reply #434 on: December 12, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Black Friday goodies plus others
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #435 on: December 12, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Got my 2 replacement Mystery Decks and landed a deck I've wanted to buy for a while - IMPS.  Also, does anyone know why the Clip Joint stock handles so poorly?  I love the design, jokers, aces, etc., but the cards fall to pieces on me.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #436 on: December 12, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Got my 2 replacement Mystery Decks and landed a deck I've wanted to buy for a while - IMPS.  Also, does anyone know why the Clip Joint stock handles so poorly?  I love the design, jokers, aces, etc., but the cards fall to pieces on me.

Fulton's Clip Joints are notorious for their handling - they had no stamina whatsoever.

« Reply #437 on: December 13, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »

Ben Taylor

Got these from Sharpie's Black Friday deal.

« Reply #438 on: December 13, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

How are the exquisites? I'm thinking of picking up the red/blue combo.

They're absolutely fantastic.  Vintage faces, thin but firm stock and a fantastic coating and finish.  Fresh out of the box, they perform like a broken-in pack of Legends v1.

You convinced me Don :)

Trying to improve my fanning, not 100% Anyone see anything they have technique to improve

Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #439 on: December 13, 2013, 09:30:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Trying to improve my fanning, not 100% Anyone see anything they have technique to improve

So, are you enjoying them?  They really are good decks,

« Reply #440 on: December 13, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

Absolutely love them, excellent suggestion Don!!!!  I love how they already feel broken in but have excellent stock.  Easily my new favorite deck.  What should I get next? haha

« Reply #441 on: December 14, 2013, 12:44:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Absolutely love them, excellent suggestion Don!!!!  I love how they already feel broken in but have excellent stock.  Easily my new favorite deck.  What should I get next? haha

Legends, either version 1 or version 2.  Version 2 has a cool-looking box while version 1 is marked, has two one-way marking systems (one for the faces, one for the backs) AND two or three card reveals in the tuck box.

« Reply #442 on: December 16, 2013, 01:19:06 AM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
Received my 4 Empire decks today.

« Reply #443 on: December 16, 2013, 01:42:34 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Got my order from theory 11 in. Two Black Jaqk and a Medallion. I hate the packing peanuts they used, left a bunch of small specs of foam all over my decks. Came clean when I blew on them.... but made a mess. Oh well, at least they arrived in perfect condition.

« Reply #444 on: December 16, 2013, 03:03:27 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
All of my stuff was packaged the same way Curt. I was worried at first when I saw it but then saw how easily the specs came, I relaxed a bit. Just a quick wipe down and they looked wonderful =) I was excited to finally get my cards from Theory 11.

« Reply #445 on: December 16, 2013, 09:35:47 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Got my order from theory 11 in. Two Black Jaqk and a Medallion. I hate the packing peanuts they used, left a bunch of small specs of foam all over my decks. Came clean when I blew on them.... but made a mess. Oh well, at least they arrived in perfect condition.

Similar issue for me with the packing peanuts when I got my Black JAQKs..Also - did it say on your receipt that there was a 'medallions sticker' in the box, yet there was no sticker? lol.

« Reply #446 on: December 16, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »

atsquare

Similar issue for me with the packing peanuts when I got my Black JAQKs..Also - did it say on your receipt that there was a 'medallions sticker' in the box, yet there was no sticker? lol.

That happened to me as well. No big deal though since I don't know where to stick the stickers anyway.

« Reply #447 on: December 16, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

Yes, same here. Never really been a big sticker fan anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. I did dig around through the box to look for it though.

« Reply #448 on: December 16, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

Yes, same here. Never really been a big sticker fan anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. I did dig around through the box to look for it though.

Ditto.

« Reply #449 on: December 16, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Odd, I didn't check my receipt, but I did get 2 stickers............a Medalion AoS sticker and a T11 logo sticker, I just tossed them in with my other random pieces of paper.......havn't looked at them since I got my package (week ago or so)