You are Here:
Disturb Reality Playing Cards [Alpha:Kappa + CXX Relaunch] by Jarek 1:20 (KS)

Author (Read 14553 times)

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:36:09 PM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: CXX Playing Cards by Jarek 1:20 (KS)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:14:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Wow.  Not a good deck.  Lots of weird choices made.  Half of the pips are hollow, half aren't and all of them look like they drank too much coffee by an order of magnitude.  Courts - with blank faces?  How original...  And I haven't even touched on the bumblebee color scheme.  Oh, wait - I just did.  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:32:20 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I want to support him because his youtube vids are fun, but as it is at the moment I can't do that because I don't feel it's a finished deck. I'd like to point one thing out. If you're designing a deck of cards and running it on KS, please don't use a superior deck in a photo of you. It makes me want to pick up the other deck and ignore yours, although I already have the black scorpion deck still same deal, same feel. Hell I may pick up another one now anyway, just to peal the cello and toss the cards all over the place in a dramatic pose.

I hope he has success. This deck just isn't for me, even though I really do like the bumble bee color scheme. Here's to hoping the next deck he designs is fully fleshed out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:32:55 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Im honestly surprised he decided to fund it on KS instead of just selling it himself.  Maybe its more to gain following than actually fund a project?

Its like everything on the net.  Some of his stuff is funny and entertaining but some I just cant stand to even watch.  And sometimes hes verging on sharing out other peoples secrets and their own designed effects which I really don't like...

"In 2013, the Disturb Reality channel blew up, going from 20,000 subscribers to 250,000+ subscribers going into 2014. During that time, I started to get an influx of fans imploring for a Disturb Reality deck of cards. One year later, now having more than 630,000 followers on YouTube and 870,000 on Facebook––I feel confident to get an ambitious goal like this off my bucket list."

I would imagine not only the funding was easy but also the purchase price could be much higher if not done on KS also avoiding the fees...

But for me the colours just kill it. 

I get other people like the bumblebee thing but it really grates on me.  That yellow is my least favorite colour to see on a deck.

Side note.  It has all sorts of massive pledge levels (not permitted to other creators BTW, I know myself and others were not permitted to launch without keeping it under a 12 deck maximum and that was considered an allowance under KS terms).  But you can pledge for a clip, t shirt, "skullcap", wristband, helicopter, inter-dimensional portal, etc etc etc....

But they all seem to be available as a pledge but not unlocked until stretch goals met....

Reaching $24K - Deck is funded and released
    Reaching $40K - T-shirts, wristbands, and skull caps will be released.
    Reaching $50K - Inner tuck box printing unlocked
    Reaching $60K - The box will be embossed and have Gold Foil
    Reaching $65K - The box will be soapbox finish [Think Red Monarch's Box]
    Reaching $80K - Disturb Reality card clip will be released

So everyone who pledges anything over $50 (up to $1150!) may not actually get any of that stuff unless it reached the stretch goals?

I think he will smash in, probably over the $40K.  But I'd be a little peeved if I backed a heap to get a clip and it was never "unlocked" in the end....

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:13:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I noticed that, too, about the pledge tiers but for some reason it didn't register until I read your post.

It's VERY risky, in terms of keeping backers happy, to offer locked items in pledge tiers BEFORE the overfunding goal for them is reached.  But believe it or not, in terms of KS rules, he's KIND OF covered - while KS requires all projects to honor the tiers and fulfill them as promised, he has an out if he issues those backers a refund, at least for the unreceived items.  But for him, that would really suck - he'd be using money that already had KS and Amazon fees taken out, as well as Federal taxes if he earns above a certain minimum, to pay back pledges.  In the end, it would COST him more money than not taking the pledges in the first place, and if he loses enough money, he could fall below his goal, yet still be obligated to either deliver on the tiers or issue refunds.

Even if I really liked the deck design, I wouldn't back this deck because it doesn't appear that the project creator knows what he's doing.  Unsurprising, since he's backed no projects and this is his first.  It's not mandatory to back anything at any time, but it's a good thing for a prospective creator to do in order to learn what it feels like from the backers' perspective before diving into his own project.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:58:52 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Everything said is spot on in my opinion, not to mention... well this is a pretty ugly deck. If it funds, I think it will be funded by fans of his videos. I don't see a whole lot of anything in this deck that says fund me. No passion, no character. The color scheme is in it's favor, if you like yellow black, other than that this is poorly designed.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Everything said is spot on in my opinion, not to mention... well this is a pretty ugly deck. If it funds, I think it will be funded by fans of his videos. I don't see a whole lot of anything in this deck that says fund me. No passion, no character. The color scheme is in it's favor, if you like yellow black, other than that this is poorly designed.
I personally like to see yellow incorporated into a deck and am always looking to add some color to my collection but this just doesn't quite pull it off aesthetically. 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
For any and all magicians considering pledging for it, it's also noteworthy that this guy has made a name for himself ripping off guys like Wayne Houchin etc, teaching their material without permission on his youtube channel. No way in hell I'd ever support him.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 06:13:21 PM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
For any and all magicians considering pledging for it, it's also noteworthy that this guy has made a name for himself ripping off guys like Wayne Houchin etc, teaching their material without permission on his youtube channel. No way in hell I'd ever support him.

Yeah this is something I was eluding to a little as well...

I don't mind someone riding on someones coat tails, but not at the expense of another artists works or ideas...

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well right there, even if I did like this deck, that would be the kiss of death.  It's one thing to borrow from a long-dead artist, it's quite another to steal from someone alive now who's using those original routines he created to put a roof over his head.

I guess this put some emphasis behind the expression, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:34:37 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Im honestly surprised he decided to fund it on KS instead of just selling it himself.  Maybe its more to gain following than actually fund a project?

I have no idea who is he......

I personally like to see yellow incorporated into a deck and am always looking to add some color to my collection but this just doesn't quite pull it off aesthetically. 

Well, if it is yellow you are looking, the black scorpion deck looks like a nicer buy compared to this deck if you ask me.
(As shown by the creator himself)

The middle portion of the card back looks like a sex toy. I don't think the colour combination is bad, (bumblebees or anything black and yellow don't look horrible) but rather the proportion/ratio that each colour takes up make the whole back look horrible. I mean, the back itself isn't all that great, but the white spaces makes it worst and more obvious.

The unfilled clubs looks interesting to me actually...but either fill all the pips or leave it empty, looks weird filling to suits and leaving to suits of pips empty.

I guess this put some emphasis behind the expression, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

What about those who preach?  :P

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
With roughly 1.5 million followers between Youtube and Facebook, the fact that this deck hasn't funded yet is all that needs to be said about the design.

Based on my personal experience, if my fanbase was approximately 500x bigger like his is, my decks would sell out in seconds. So clearly something is not working well for that deck. Not to mention that with nearly 700k Youtube subscribers his ad revenue should be quite serious (see the documentary "Please Subscribe" for examples of people living off their youtube revenue with less subscribers than he has), certainly enough to self fund a small print run deck.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:57:25 PM by Paul Carpenter »
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 07:56:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
With roughly 1.5 million followers between Youtube and Facebook, the fact that this deck hasn't funded yet is all that needs to be said about the design.

Based on my personal experience, if my fanbase was approximately 500x bigger like his is, my decks would sell out in seconds. So clearly something is not working well for that deck. Not to mention that with nearly 700k Youtube subscribers his ad revenue should be quite serious (see the documentary "Please Subscribe" for examples of people living off their youtube revenue with less subscribers than he has), certainly enough to self fund a small print run deck.

That makes an amazing amount of sense.  Good post.

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Disturb Reality Playing Cards [Alpha:Kappa + CXX Relaunch]

Alpha:Kappa is a deck of playing cards voted into existence by the fans of Disturb Reality, a free source to learn powerful magic and social dynamics.

CXX is a relaunched deck of playing cards designed by Joe Nash and the creator of Disturb Reality, Jarek 1:20.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If this guy honestly thinks he's going to be able to create TWO decks with embossed "soap box paper" tuck boxes and have USPC print them, then distribute them, all for a mere $14,000, then there's just one thing I have to say about Jarek 1:20 - he started smoking three hours early!  If this project just barely makes it over the funding goal by the time it closes, he's simply not going to have raised enough cash to deliver.

As far as fulfillment, he said he's using a third-party company for it - He must not understand how most fulfillment centers work, in terms of how they treat playing card projects like this.  He'll be lucky if he has only a small percentage of the deliveries arrive damaged unless he's using a company like GW or Legends.

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Looks like this project will fund and good for Jarek. I'm not a backer myself, I don't think this campaign is thought through and I just don't care for the deck at all. Needless to say, I won't touch this. For the sake of the backers, I hope this comes off well and delivers. I do have my doubts... :/

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
The guy has written that the courts are people who have been very influential to his life... and so am I to look at the queen of hearts and assume that a corpse has greatly influenced the guy?

Anyway, I'm not backing this deck... but as always, it's good to see a playing card project get funded.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Anyway, I'm not backing this deck... but as always, it's good to see a playing card project get funded.

He might NOT make it to funded after all.  His total raised in the past day is a loss of $35.  A few more of those and he'll drop below his funding threshold.  Worse, if he's off by even a hair on his budget, he's going to be in deep bantha poodoo.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:22:33 AM by Don Boyer »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Well, he just got funded so fingers crossed and good luck to the backers I guess  :-\
I've experienced the work needed to create a problem free project and it doesn't always work out well.

As much as I want to say Four beasts playing cards went quite smoothly with only slight fulfilment problems. And money wise, people should know that fulfillment eats up a lot of the cost.

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I really don't get the idea of this decks, not to say bad things about this but I don't understand the concept. The back design is not appealing at all, well at least to me.
And I am surprised this campaigned is funded.
Back for more

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I see an upside down spade with some text. A and X
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:38:46 PM by sprouts1115 »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I see an upside down spade with some text. A and X

I'd be willing to guess that the "A and X" are actually an alpha and a kappa from the Greek alphabet, as mentioned in the title.

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
I didn't back this but does anyone know how it's going? His last update is "hidden" but it's titled "CONTRACT SIGNED" and it's dated June 16 - the campaign ended 2 months ago..what took so long?
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I didn't back this but does anyone know how it's going? His last update is "hidden" but it's titled "CONTRACT SIGNED" and it's dated June 16 - the campaign ended 2 months ago..what took so long?

Much as I dislike this project, it's not implausible.  He mentioned in the May 12th update that he had to make adjustments to the artwork, and that's presumably before he even got a proof made to be vetted.  Combine that with USPC's massive backlog - last I heard, they have about 75 projects a month running - and it's believable that it took this long to get a signed contract.  USPC Legal is not the fastest bunch of people around - it took months to get that advertisement in CARD CULTURE from them, and they still wanted last minute changes.

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
"Savagely cultivate superior ambition!"

Well, the cards got made and have been shipped out, good for him.

Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmqOpSoUC_Y

Instagram hash tag: https://instagram.com/explore/tags/disturbreality/
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy