You are Here:
Dollar Shave Club

Author (Read 928 times)

Dollar Shave Club
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Hey All

I wanted to highly recommend a club I joined about 4 months ago.

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com

For years, I've overpaid for brand name razors. I'm writing to let you know that I've stopped. I've joined Dollar Shave Club, and am no longer making the Man richer.

Lets do the math. I was paying $20 a month for 4 to 5 new blades, plus gas driving to the store. I selected the humble twin (2 blade option) for $1 plus $2 shipping ($3 per month). I get one razor and then 5 new twin blades shipped to my home monthly. Lets "face it", a great shave is not about the number of blades on your razor when you shave, its about how sharp and how new the blade is. 5 new blades a month gives you at least one sharp new blade a week and then some. You will have a new blade on your razor before you even know your current blade is getting dull for just $3 a month. A great shave every time. They also have a 3 blade and a 5 blade option.

*I in no way benefit financially for recommending this product. I only want to share my good fortune with all of you.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:25:07 PM by Card Player »

Re: Dollar Shave Club
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:13:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've seen ads for this and similar on TV.  Sounds pretty good, really - the razor companies get you on the cost of the blade refills.

I shave once or twice a week.  Depending on beard length, I use trimmers, an electric wet/dry shaver and a disposable-blade system with 5 blades and a vibrating handle.  I started using it after a friend let me borrow his on a trip (with a fresh blade, of course) - it was mighty effective.

Because of the infrequency, I buy new blades in four- or eight-blade packs maybe twice a year.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:09:18 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I clean my razor well, submerge it in alcohol, then pop the button my toothbrush while it's on the stand. Makes the alcohol vibrate a little, whether that part actually helps or not no idea. Submerging my cleaned blades in alcohol keeps the blade fresh much longer. Using a nice shaving soap also helps in my opinion. I only buy blades maybe twice a year.

My father uses a vintage razor, nice way of saying real old military looking thing, the kind with a single double edged blade that'll cut a person up haha. I picked up these tricks from him. Only tried the razor twice when I was a lad, didn't take long for me to learn my lesson there.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:45:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

My father uses a vintage razor, nice way of saying real old military looking thing, the kind with a single double edged blade that'll cut a person up haha. I picked up these tricks from him. Only tried the razor twice when I was a lad, didn't take long for me to learn my lesson there.

Ironically, those things were known as "safety razors"!  I guess compared to straight razors, a.k.a. throat slitters, they were relatively safer...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I clean my razor well, submerge it in alcohol, then pop the button my toothbrush while it's on the stand. Makes the alcohol vibrate a little, whether that part actually helps or not no idea. Submerging my cleaned blades in alcohol keeps the blade fresh much longer. Using a nice shaving soap also helps in my opinion. I only buy blades maybe twice a year.

I understand the tradition of shaving like your father. While that will keep your blade clean longer, sharpness might be a matter of opinion. I wake up 4:30 AM for work. I have a shaving mirror on my shower wall because I was tired of cleaning the stubble from the bathroom sink. I simply don't have the time to do all that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:53:32 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Ironically, those things were known as "safety razors"!  I guess compared to straight razors, a.k.a. throat slitters, they were relatively safer...

Haha, yea those are some pretty vicious "Safe"ty razors. Tore me up pretty good lol. Best shaves I've ever had have been from barbers with straight razors. There is definitely something to be said for the old ways of doing things, that's an experience not to be missed in my humble opinion.

I understand the tradition of shaving like your father. While that will keep your blade clean longer, sharpness might be a matter of opinion. I wake up 4:30 AM for work. I have a shaving mirror on my shower wall because I was tired of cleaning the stubble from the bathroom sink. I simply don't have the time to do all that.

Ah ha, shower shaving! I bet you go through heaps of blades then. My brother used to do that, always in a rush. It didn't even enter my mind until you said that about the mirror on the shower wall. I think I'll ask him to have a peek at this club. Probably save him some money too. Good stuff.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)