Author (Read 9507 times)

Cyberpunk themed deck
« on: July 14, 2019, 11:07:07 PM »

excelsior

• Bicycle cards lover!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hello all, I just started a company with a designer that I know and we are working on our first Kickstarter (first for me, he has done others before). It is a project of a cyberpunk-themed deck and I wanted to know about your thoughts. We think this theme is very popular now (with cyberpunk 2077 game, a lot of tv shows and movies). The concept would be something like this deck but 3d modeled.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/circuitplayingcards/cyberpunk-playing-cards?ref=discovery_category&term=elephant%20playing%20cards

We are also discussing having personas for the Jack, Queen, King, or just have it more abstract. Please tell me your thoughts on it. And I thank in advance.

P.S.: I apologize for my english, is not my mother language.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:36:22 PM by excelsior »
Bicycle cards lover
Designing 3D modeled cards at Excelsior Playing Cards
https://www.instagram.com/excelsiorplayingcards/

Re: Cyberpunk themed deck
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 01:56:06 AM »

excelsior

• Bicycle cards lover!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
an update, wip of our tuck box front.
Bicycle cards lover

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:17:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I took a look at the project.  To me, it seems like it's too close to a standard deck, not enough cyberpunk-themed.  It really looks like you took bog-standard deck art and just added a few tweaks to it - the kings still look just like kings, the jokers look like something more medieval than cyberpunk, etc.  I've seen some older cyberpunk decks that were far more impressive.  The tuck looks really good, but just as you can't judge a book by its cover, you can't judge a deck by its tuck box alone.

I've played the old Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 RPG, and the NetRunner CCG, upon which the new Cyberpunk 2077 game was based.  This deck really doesn't capture the essence or flavor of any of those things.  I suggest going back to your inspiration and making your deck look more like what inspired it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:12:12 AM »

the.asics.kid

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I took a look at the project.

He linked an existing project (by Elephant playingcards) as a reference, not his actual project.
But I would still +1 at the stuff you mentioned. The referenced deck is a pretty weak example of a good cyberpunk themed deck.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:12:46 AM by the.asics.kid »
- anima sana in corpore sano  /  What a joy to roam this valley of broken souls -

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:15:34 AM »

the.asics.kid

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

If I may be honest, I know it is hard to render stuff, but the tuck box needs a lot more details imo. I guess colours will added later on?

- anima sana in corpore sano  /  What a joy to roam this valley of broken souls -

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 10:42:18 PM »

excelsior

• Bicycle cards lover!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

I took a look at the project.  To me, it seems like it's too close to a standard deck, not enough cyberpunk-themed.  It really looks like you took bog-standard deck art and just added a few tweaks to it - the kings still look just like kings, the jokers look like something more medieval than cyberpunk, etc.  I've seen some older cyberpunk decks that were far more impressive.  The tuck looks really good, but just as you can't judge a book by its cover, you can't judge a deck by its tuck box alone.

I've played the old Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 RPG, and the NetRunner CCG, upon which the new Cyberpunk 2077 game was based.  This deck really doesn't capture the essence or flavor of any of those things.  I suggest going back to your inspiration and making your deck look more like what inspired it.

As the.asics.kid said I just linked an existing project just as a reference, since I was just on the concept idea back then and I was asking for opinions on about it, now I am more advanced in the tuck box, this is yesterday´s new render. 

I´ve played NetRunner too!, and I have indeed my inspiration based on Cyberpunk 2020. The cyberpunk-themed decks I´ve seen so far are more "steampunk" with gears and not a single one 3d modeled. I think its promising but I am still on the beginning.
Bicycle cards lover

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 01:50:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

As the.asics.kid said I just linked an existing project just as a reference, since I was just on the concept idea back then and I was asking for opinions on about it, now I am more advanced in the tuck box, this is yesterday´s new render. 

I´ve played NetRunner too!, and I have indeed my inspiration based on Cyberpunk 2020. The cyberpunk-themed decks I´ve seen so far are more "steampunk" with gears and not a single one 3d modeled. I think its promising but I am still on the beginning.

You seem to be off to an OK start, but check this project out - it's Albino Dragon's Bicycle Synthesis deck:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460165270/albino-dragons-synthesis-playing-cards

This is probably the closest thing I've seen to a Cyberpunk RPG/NetRunner deck out there - and it's pretty darn good.  The artwork looks like an updated, full-color version of the art I remember from the Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 player's guide.

There's a general rule I like to talk about with new deck designers, especially when they're tackling a theme that's been done many, many times before.  Everyone remembers the first team to reach the peak at Mount Everest - and almost no one remember team #34,239.  So if you're going to climb the mountain, you'd better do it better and/or more uniquely than anyone else who went before you if you want to be remembered for doing it.  So if you're not the first to hit the top, you should aim to be the best, and if you're also not the best to hit the top, then be the guy who held Burning Man Nepal at the top, or who leapt off the peak in a wing suit and flew all the way down to the bottom, or who did it without an oxygen tank - something, anything (anything GOOD) that will make your efforts distinctive and worth remembering.

So, you're not making the first cyberpunk-themed deck by far.  Aim to be the best - or at the very least, aim to do it so distinctively differently than what went before that people have to take notice.  If you're not doing that, pack up your art gear and go back to the drawing board.

Also, don't fall into the trap that "unique" all by itself is synonymous with "good" - I assure you, unique is not automatically good.  I make "unique" things every time I take a trip to the bathroom, but I don't see anyone wanting to pay good money for them.  Old, fat guys in Speedo thongs in winter are "unique" - and I don't want to be anywhere near them!  Don't simply aim for unique - aim for unique AND good.

Best of luck to you.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »

the.asics.kid

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
There's a general rule I like to talk about with new deck designers, ...

The whole paragraph should be in a guide for deck design.  :D  Awesome advice and I would definetly encourage every aspiring designer to take them seriously.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:44:23 AM by the.asics.kid »

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 12:03:45 AM »

excelsior

• Bicycle cards lover!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

You seem to be off to an OK start, but check this project out - it's Albino Dragon's Bicycle Synthesis deck:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460165270/albino-dragons-synthesis-playing-cards

This is probably the closest thing I've seen to a Cyberpunk RPG/NetRunner deck out there - and it's pretty darn good.  The artwork looks like an updated, full-color version of the art I remember from the Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 player's guide.

There's a general rule I like to talk about with new deck designers, especially when they're tackling a theme that's been done many, many times before.  Everyone remembers the first team to reach the peak at Mount Everest - and almost no one remember team #34,239.  So if you're going to climb the mountain, you'd better do it better and/or more uniquely than anyone else who went before you if you want to be remembered for doing it.  So if you're not the first to hit the top, you should aim to be the best, and if you're also not the best to hit the top, then be the guy who held Burning Man Nepal at the top, or who leapt off the peak in a wing suit and flew all the way down to the bottom, or who did it without an oxygen tank - something, anything (anything GOOD) that will make your efforts distinctive and worth remembering.

So, you're not making the first cyberpunk-themed deck by far.  Aim to be the best - or at the very least, aim to do it so distinctively differently than what went before that people have to take notice.  If you're not doing that, pack up your art gear and go back to the drawing board.

Also, don't fall into the trap that "unique" all by itself is synonymous with "good" - I assure you, unique is not automatically good.  I make "unique" things every time I take a trip to the bathroom, but I don't see anyone wanting to pay good money for them.  Old, fat guys in Speedo thongs in winter are "unique" - and I don't want to be anywhere near them!  Don't simply aim for unique - aim for unique AND good.

Best of luck to you.

I completely agree on most points and I thank you for all your advice. Albino Dragon's Bicycle Synthesis deck is really amazing and it shows a lot of netrunner´s spirit, however, cyberpunk is a very expanded universe and I might have set wrong expectations on my first post message. When it comes to cyberpunk everyone automatically thinks of the characters and I am trying to focus more on the machine aesthetics. Does not carry all cyberpunk lore but I believe (specially being my first deck) I should focus in a small part of this theme otherwise I would be stuck, lost or even taking years do design it, so I am trying to be simpler.

I don´t agree that are so many cyberpunk themed decks, in fact, compared with many other themes, I think there are just a few, but as you said I am not relying on being unique and I am aiming perfection as much as I can, trying to do something distinctively different from the decks I researched so far. That´s why I am trying to expose my work here since the beginning, to have this feedback from all of you along with the development.

Once again thank you Don Boyer, it made me rethink a lot of my planning.
Bicycle cards lover

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 12:18:13 AM »

excelsior

• Bicycle cards lover!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Updates: Finished the tuck box (still subject to changes), some Aces, and a mock-up for Jack, King and one of the jokers (please note they are just drafts).

*Question: Do y´all think that withe borders make it look bad or cheap? I thought of left white borders as one of the classic features instead of putting neon or another color.
Bicycle cards lover

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Updates: Finished the tuck box (still subject to changes), some Aces, and a mock-up for Jack, King and one of the jokers (please note they are just drafts).

*Question: Do y´all think that withe borders make it look bad or cheap? I thought of left white borders as one of the classic features instead of putting neon or another color.

For a cyberpunk-themed deck, perhaps black borders will be nice.

But remember that black borders, while attractive, don't generally hold up well under use.  Your deck would be more of a collector's/art deck than an deck for play.