You are Here:
Tuck Box Assembly

Author (Read 12061 times)

Tuck Box Assembly
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:34:13 PM »

Happy003

• Newcomer

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so if its in the wrong section please let me know. I'm working on a new deck series and thought about assembling the tucks myself. Does anyone have any experiance with this? If the tuck has fold lines I would assume the process wouldnt be difficult. Without fold lines maybe a nightmare is my thinking. Also what glue would be ideal?

Thanks

Re: Tuck Box Assembly
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so if its in the wrong section please let me know. I'm working on a new deck series and thought about assembling the tucks myself. Does anyone have any experiance with this? If the tuck has fold lines I would assume the process wouldnt be difficult. Without fold lines maybe a nightmare is my thinking. Also what glue would be ideal?

Thanks

I would imagine that somewhere on the internet there's a template for tucks - but I would also imagine that someone, somewhere is selling plain white tucks pre-made and ready for you to decorate.

Did you want to assemble all the tucks for an entire deck print run yourself?  Sounds like a project and a half.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:53:17 PM »

Happy003

• Newcomer
 Thank you for the reply Don. I found the answer to one question from the printer. Tuck boxes do come with a fold line so getting a good fold is relatively easy. Like you said it would be a project and a half. However, on my current project USPCC upcharges $2.40 for the tuck we want. Going straight to the printer you pick them up for $1.20. So it saves you $1.20 per deck plus whatever the discount USPCC would give for mailing the cards in plain white tucks. One would obviously have to weight the work of doing it yourself vs the cost of paying someone to do it. The one answer I still haven't found is the best type of glue to use.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 05:06:38 AM »

shimmering

I am interested in this as well. There are certainly some projects and situations where it could be better to do this sort of thing yourself. Now I am pretty sure that the famous playing card designer Jackson Robinson has posted on another forum about how he sometimes did his own tuck box assembly. I am not sure he gave any detail in what I read though. I think at one point he was also printing his own tuck boxes on his own printing press, but I got the impression he was talking about assembling tuck boxes that he had not printed, or giving advice to others to do this. Could be misremembering though. And I certainly don't remember anything about the type of glue. My instinct would be to use diluted PVA, and that you would need some sort of form (solid template) to have inside the box for the moment of gluing. But yes I would be interested to hear from others with experience.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 09:36:28 AM »

Happy003

• Newcomer
 As far as something being inside the box when gluing it one idea would be to use a glass deck. I think there is a deck made of plexiglass called an Omni deck (I think). That would be perfect for this.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 01:10:47 AM »

Happy003

• Newcomer
Shimmering,

I figured out how to do it. Honestly it’s not too bad.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »

shimmering

very pretty!

so any details?