You are Here:
Totally New Collector

Author (Read 3799 times)

Totally New Collector
« on: April 22, 2021, 08:56:01 PM »

urgatorbait

• Newcomer
Greetings!  I had been looking for a hobby/collection for some time now and couldn't really seem to find something to grabbed me.  I landed , as you can guess, on playing cards.  I'm captivated by all the cool and creative artwork on so many decks out there.  So I ordered my first deck and I have another one I should get at some point from a Kickstarter.  My sister in law is a graphics artist and she designed and produced a deck of cards and I'm trying to get a new, pristine deck from her since the original one I got is totally used.

Anyways, as much as I'd like to go gangbusters and buy every deck that I like, I'm going to be fiscally responsible and go slow.  I do have a question but I think I really know the answer, at least to me....

My first deck came sealed in cellophane and as usual inside that there is a "sticker"(?) seal to get inside.  I guess I want to collect these cards because I want to appreciate the artwork on the cards and care less about them growing in value.  I can't imagine not opening the cards and never getting to look at them.  But before I opened mine, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being a complete idiot  ;)  Do people wear white gloves before they handle their cards - is that a thing?  So for someone only interested in new cards and appreciating the artwork, what advice would you have for me?  Thanks in advance.

Re: Totally New Collector
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 06:41:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Greetings!  I had been looking for a hobby/collection for some time now and couldn't really seem to find something to grabbed me.  I landed , as you can guess, on playing cards.  I'm captivated by all the cool and creative artwork on so many decks out there.  So I ordered my first deck and I have another one I should get at some point from a Kickstarter.  My sister in law is a graphics artist and she designed and produced a deck of cards and I'm trying to get a new, pristine deck from her since the original one I got is totally used.

Anyways, as much as I'd like to go gangbusters and buy every deck that I like, I'm going to be fiscally responsible and go slow.  I do have a question but I think I really know the answer, at least to me....

My first deck came sealed in cellophane and as usual inside that there is a "sticker"(?) seal to get inside.  I guess I want to collect these cards because I want to appreciate the artwork on the cards and care less about them growing in value.  I can't imagine not opening the cards and never getting to look at them.  But before I opened mine, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being a complete idiot  ;)  Do people wear white gloves before they handle their cards - is that a thing?  So for someone only interested in new cards and appreciating the artwork, what advice would you have for me?  Thanks in advance.

There's no one answer for this.  There's different people, and there's different collectors.

There are some that never open the boxes, ever.  They sit on display on fancy custom-built shelving for the world to see, but only in their shrink-wrapped glory.

There are some that tear open a pack willy-nilly and just beat the heck out of the cards inside.

Those would be the two extremes of the spectrum - there's pretty much every single shade you can think of in-between.

If you really wanted to keep cards "museum quality" despite opening the pack, then sure, I could see how a collector might don white cotton gloves for inspections and examinations.

Me, personally, I like using my decks.  Whenever possible, I'm a two-pack guy - one pack to play with, one pack to preserve.  Lately, I've been buying a lot more selectively, and if a deck is cool enough, I might buy more than two.  It's less about budget, more about already owning upwards of two thousand decks - most of the ones I buy now are for my deck gaffing business.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/