You are Here:
[REVIEW] Paul Harris' True Astonishment boxset DISC TWO

Author (Read 666 times)

[REVIEW] Paul Harris' True Astonishment boxset DISC TWO
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
This is the review for disc two of this amazing boxset :)

DISC TWO

LVL$ (Las Vegas Leaper 2)
For those who are familiar with the original, it's an advancement of the original with a, somewhat, 'kicker' ending

THE EFFECT

The spectator is asked to check their pocket to make sure it's empty. Like the original, the magician gives the spectator 10 cards and asks the spectator to count the cards themselves. The magician does not touch these cards. Instead of sandwiching the cards between their hands, the magician asks the spectator to put the cards in their back pocket. The magician proceeds to count 10 more cards in his hands making one disappear .. then another .. then another. The spectator counts the cards in his hands to reveal that he has 7, magician asks the spectator to count the cards in their back pocket to reveal 13 cards. The magician doesn't stop there. He takes out 5 $1 bills, again folds up an imaginary bill, throws it at the spectators back pocket. When the spectator checks the bills in the magician's hand, he only has four. The spectator then checks their back pocket to find a dollar bill.

MY VIEW

First of all, props go to Bro Gilbert for an another amazing performance on this set. His audience managment is amazing, and his handling and misdirection is very sleek.
I do like this trick very much, there is a bit of a set up involved but takes no longer than about 45 seconds. The method is absolutely genius :) I love the method, you start clean, you end clean, the spectator can shuffle the cards until their heart's content. As far as I'm aware, there's very very minimal angle issues. It's audience tested, and you really do gota have balls to perform this :P it's such a clever method of loading a bill into a spectators pocket. It's one of those things you'll hate yourself for not thinking of it first. Great effect, great result, amazing reactions, just make sure you get your money back in the end :P

RATING
10/10

TUBULAR

THE EFFECT
Two bills are signed, one by a spectator, the other by the magician. The bills are then rolled into a tube for the spectator to hold. Spectator is asked to squeeze the two bills, then open their hand to reveal one bill empty and the other bill with both the signatures on.

MY VIEW
Packs small, plays big. Very Paul Harris-esque in terms of methodology. Handling is very minimal, in the right hands this trick can be pulled off with ease. The angles are pretty great, not quite 360, but great nonetheless. There's not really much to say about this trick, it's a great simple trick. With a bit of acting, it can be really amazing. Cleanup isn't an issue, and set up takes about 5 seconds to do.

RATING
8.5/10

CHENG'S RISER
Cheng Lin's visual version of the Ray Kosby effect "Raise Rise"

THE EFFECT
A card is outjogged near the bottom of the deck and slowly it rises to the top.

MY VIEW
Very visual, just like Cheng's change, this is made for youtube. I don't really see anyone performing this in the real world. In the video, Cheng doesn't even do it for anyone, just for the camera. Compared to "raise rise", you don't cover or shake the deck, you visually see the card rise to the top. It's a really cool effect, probably one of the best rising cards through deck effects I've seen in a while BUT not audience tested, which I found a little disappointing. Loses points for that

RATING
6.5/10

SEDUCTIVE SWITCH 2
The sequel (or variant) to the original, which I believe was in his book "Close Up Seductions"

THE EFFECT
3 cards are used. One card is taken by the magician and folded into quarters and the other 2 cards is placed securely in the spectators hands. In impossible conditions, the card switches places with one of those in the spectator's hands.

MY VIEW
I'm a big fan of the original. The move is very deceptive, and the method is again, very excellent. it uses the same basic method as the original with hints of added subtleties. It shows you how to make the gaff. Although a gaff is involved, it's very much considered an impromptu effect (or so I've heard). The fact that it happens in the spectators hands gives it that extra wow factor. There's many little small advancements made for this sequel effect which makes the trick that little bit better.

RATING
8/10

GROWING CARD
An effect by Tomoyuki Shimmura

THE EFFECT
Starts off with a selected card being sandwiched between 2 jokers then visually grows into a jumbo card. Then it shrinks back down to its original size and handed out for examination.

MY VIEW
First off, this effect is taught by Robert Smith on the DVD. I love playing around with this. You receive a gaff card to use with this effect. The methodology behind the actual gaff is cool, the handling is very simple BUT there's no real reason to bring it into play. There's no justification for as to why you show this illusion to them, apart from maybe 'hey wana c something weird?' Like I said, it's real cool to play around with, it is audience tested (although they didn't really seem so blown away, and seemed a little slow on the reaction). If you can justify it, then it can be a great little worker.

MY RATING
7/10

Hope you enjoyed that review. I'd love to hear your feedback, or if you have a different opinion on the trick, please comment :) thanks for looking :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)