You are Here:
back to the basics

Author (Read 645 times)

back to the basics
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:54:52 PM »

DarrylDavis

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
This is so simple it's silly but I need some advice. What is the proper way to set a deck of cards down on the table?? Let me see if I can explain a bit better. I normally take the deck into end grip and set it down. But I have a trick that i'm working on which at one point I have cards in my right hand and the rest of the deck in dealers grip with cards secretly face up near the top of the deck. Iam looking for an efficient way to set the deck down without having the cards spread. I feel like this should be really simple so I might be just missing something but I find it quite funny because in this trick I do a pass and Chris kenners 4 for 4 switch yet setting the deck down is the most difficult part to do cleanly haha. If you don't know exactly what I mean take a deck in dealers grip and turn the second card face up and set it down only using your one hand and you'll see what I mean.

Re: back to the basics
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This is so simple it's silly but I need some advice. What is the proper way to set a deck of cards down on the table?? Let me see if I can explain a bit better. I normally take the deck into end grip and set it down. But I have a trick that i'm working on which at one point I have cards in my right hand and the rest of the deck in dealers grip with cards secretly face up near the top of the deck. Iam looking for an efficient way to set the deck down without having the cards spread. I feel like this should be really simple so I might be just missing something but I find it quite funny because in this trick I do a pass and Chris kenners 4 for 4 switch yet setting the deck down is the most difficult part to do cleanly haha. If you don't know exactly what I mean take a deck in dealers grip and turn the second card face up and set it down only using your one hand and you'll see what I mean.

Consider a smooth-finish deck - the cards won't have the "air cushioning" caused by the dimples and will lie flat on each other.

Just tested my theory with four smooth decks: Ask Alexander Ivory, Aladdin 1001s, Streamline (USPC, Kentucky) and Professional Bicycle Ivory.  The Ask Alexander deck was a little bowed from side to side, so there was a noteworthy gap.  But for the other three decks, the gapping was small enough to remain unnoticeable to a spectator.  If I kept the AA Ivory in my deck press for a good long while, it would probably flatten enough to work as well.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/