You are Here:
Mirage Playing Cards - Now Available!

Author (Read 4841 times)

« on: August 17, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Haven't spotted a thread for this yet, so I might as well start one. Patrick Kun is working on a new deck of playing cards called Mirage. Not much info about it yet other than these two pictures and that he'll probably do a Kickstarter campaign with them.

(For those unfamiliar with Patrick, he's a magician, cardist and designer who's consulted for among others Copperfield and Cyril Takayama.)
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

Re: Mirage Playing Cards by Patrick Kun
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:14:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Haven't spotted a thread for this yet, so I might as well start one. Patrick Kun is working on a new deck of playing cards called Mirage. Not much info about it yet other than these two pictures and that he'll probably do a Kickstarter campaign with them.

(For those unfamiliar with Patrick, he's a magician, cardist and designer who's consulted for among others Copperfield and Cyril Takayama.)

He's got a few tricks on T11 - skill level is not for beginners.

It's unfortunate that he chose the name Mirage.  There's a gimmicked deck called the Mirage deck - it combines a Svengali deck with one of the unique features of an Invisible deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

He's got a few tricks on T11 - skill level is not for beginners.

It's unfortunate that he chose the name Mirage.  There's a gimmicked deck called the Mirage deck - it combines a Svengali deck with one of the unique features of an Invisible deck.
Heh, tell me about it. I remember when both he and I were with Ellusionist a few years ago and he released his first downloads. One thing is for sure when you try your hands on what looks like simple stuff for him - he's very good at what he does.

As for the name - since this hasn't really been officially announced the name might change before launch. Not that the name bothers me, it's not entirely uncommon to see the same or similar names for both magic effects and cards these days.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

As for the name - since this hasn't really been officially announced the name might change before launch. Not that the name bothers me, it's not entirely uncommon to see the same or similar names for both magic effects and cards these days.

Well, if I made a deck and called it Svengali or Invisible or Stripper, I suspect a lot of magicians would be purchasing it and expecting the gaffed deck and not my design on a standard deck.  The rest of the public would likely be blissfully unaware.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 05:39:10 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

Well, if I made a deck and called it Svengali or Invisible or Stripper, I suspect a lot of magicians would be purchasing it and expecting the gaffed deck and not my design on a standard deck.  The rest of the public would likely be blissfully unaware.

Those three are however very common and well-known gaffed decks, the Mirage deck isn't even close to as widespread. Add to that the fact that most people can actually read. I doubt very many purchase an effect they're looking for without at least checking the product description. Patrick would need to write one hell of a bad copy for his cards to make people mistake it for the gaffed Mirage deck.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:32:58 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Interesting looking backs, though the photos make them look super grainy - I assume that's just the photos though... Looks like they'd look awesome in a pirouette!

Any info on potential launch dates for the KS campaign?

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I agree the backs are great, but what about the fronts? Does Patrick usually customise his fronts or will they be standard?

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
This will be Patrick's first deck design so there's really no way to tell whether he'll go for custom faces or not, but my personal guess is that he'll stick to the standards.

No launch date or more info about these as of yet, the design hasn't really been mentioned in public at all.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:42:22 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
This will be Patrick's first deck design so there's really no way to tell whether he'll go for custom faces or not, but my personal guess is that he'll stick to the standards.

No launch date or more info about these as of yet, the design hasn't really been mentioned in public at all.
Thanks Marcus, I appreciate your insight. :)

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Just spoke to Patrick. He's awaiting quotes and other info from both USPCC and EPCC, It's still in pre-production and he's aiming for a launch before the end of the year. As for the faces of the cards, they'll most likely be close to the originals but slightly modified.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:49:32 PM by Marcus »

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
These took a bit longer than planned, but it's looking like a release will be here at the end of August. Over the last year the deck has gone through some slight changes as well. I don't know about you guys, but I really like the design and color choice here.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:06:12 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I noticed that photo on Instagram... and from what I remember, he'd tagged Legends Playing Card Co in it! :D :D :D
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:53:15 PM »

Paul Ruccio

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I noticed that photo on Instagram... and from what I remember, he'd tagged Legends Playing Card Co in it! :D :D :D

Last I knew, these were printed by LPCC. Saw a "sneak peek" of the faces on social media and seems to be standard - which I fully support.
Paul Ruccio
Jetsetter Playing Cards
www.jetsetterplayingcards.com
- - - - -
High-class products and playing cards for the aviation, travel, and playing card enthusiasts around the globe.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 03:13:33 AM »

Mr.parangot

• True Member
Hard to tell the true color from he lighting, but I like the new green touch to it. maybe we still get the the black color variation?

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 01:20:35 AM »

Patrick Kun

• Newcomer
Hi everyone, Marcus posted a thread about my playing cards about a year ago and now I can announced that it is finally available. For those who are not familiar with this deck you can check out the detail below. Please visit www.patrickkun.com for more information :)

TRAILER: https://youtu.be/Yk47XCL9sCE

This deck has an optical illusion back design built-in, looks great for both magic and cardistry. It also comes with a special designed Hyper card that allow you to show both sides and give out as a souvenir. Mnemonica stack also comes ready with this deck.

Printed by Legends Playing Cards
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:06:03 AM by Patrick Kun »
Mirage cards is now shipping. Visit www.patrickkun.com

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 01:22:33 AM »

Patrick Kun

• Newcomer
Mirage has finally launched. You can find out more info in this thread here: http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=8605.msg117529#msg117529

Thanks everyone.

-Patrick
Mirage cards is now shipping. Visit www.patrickkun.com