« on: January 02, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Paul Michael Kane has re-released his Kickstarter project Foto Grafis
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pmkane/paul-michael-kanes-foto-grafis-playing-cards-phase

I like the court card images much more this time around, Good Luck Paul!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:22:43 AM by Sparkz »

Re: Foto Grafis v 2.0 Now Live on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Good idea but it has a "souvenir shop" vibe for me so I'm passing on these. But it's nice how he gives a lot of no-obligation add-ons just for $9.

Edit: Just realized he isn't printing with USPC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:43:33 AM by Yashi »

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Good idea but it has a "souvenir shop" vibe for me so I'm passing on these. But it's nice how he gives a lot of no-obligation add-ons just for $9.

Edit: Just realized he isn't printing with USPC.

It's ironic, considering that he won Bicycle Club 808's Design-a-Deck contest with this design...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
USPCC may be the big company on the block but many artists and companies are seriously looking for alternatives.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »

max

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Th 2500 limit is the real obstacle... USPCC should have been given Paul as the prize a free first print run...  :)

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Th 2500 limit is the real obstacle... USPCC should have been given Paul as the prize a free first print run...  :)

Actually, the prize was a single deck, created through Zazzle with Bicycle faces!  I think the total value was about $25 and bragging rights.  Making it themselves does sound like it would have been a grand idea, especially when you factor in where the deck is finally getting printed, should the KS succeed.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Actually, the prize was a single deck, created through Zazzle with Bicycle faces!  I think the total value was about $25 and bragging rights.  Making it themselves does sound like it would have been a grand idea, especially when you factor in where the deck is finally getting printed, should the KS succeed.

I gotta say, that's kind of lame on Bicycles part...........how many people/designers will be lining up for the next "Disign a Deck" contest? Braging rights are great, but seriously, that's the best they coould do?

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I love these photos. I like to use my cards for playing, so I probably won't back, but I might be looking at some prints or something. Seriously beautiful though.
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Anyone mind clarifying what's so great about a black core (since it was emphasized in the description)? I thought I read somewhere that it's just glue that's oxidized to black...?

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Anyone mind clarifying what's so great about a black core (since it was emphasized in the description)? I thought I read somewhere that it's just glue that's oxidized to black...?

The Black Core is on the Luxe Print for the Reward package, not the cards. That being said, it's a Mountboard quality for prints, the print is heat mounted to a Black Core mount board.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:52:45 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:49:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Black core is probably a lot like the black center layer of a playing card.  Pasteboard, the paper of a paper playing card, is two layers of paper with a layer in-between of glue that's been laced with graphite.  The graphite makes the paper opaque.  A poorly-made playing card sometimes has no graphite, or at least not enough graphite, resulting in paper you can see through under strong light, being able to read a reverse image of the face from the back.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 12:23:55 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
I may come off like a snob here but I can't see backing these without the USPC.  Bear in mind that I was all over the original to the point that I bumped his original project near the deadline in an effort to rustle up some extra backers.  I also should make it clear that I am not a USPC nerd as Legends V1 is pretty much my all time favorite deck.  I appreciate designers looking for other printing outlets but with my collection getting annoyingly large I have to be guaranteed quality cards in addition to a beautiful deck.  With all that being said I hope that the cards turn out lovely and I have a chance to pick some up in the aftermarket.  I wish him the absolute best in his project as his work deserves to be on a deck.  Of course there's always a chance I wake up tomorrow and back it.   ;)

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 06:22:08 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

The Black Core is on the Luxe Print for the Reward package, not the cards. That being said, it's a Mountboard quality for prints, the print is heat mounted to a Black Core mount board.

Oops, I guess I misunderstood. I was skimming through the project description and came across that term and immediately thought it referred to the cards because I saw that term in another Kickstarter project, also - Caravan of SEE'ers Custom Playing Cards:

These custom decks will be produced on a sturdy high quality black core playing card paper with a linen finish by the fantastic ladies at AdMagic Inc.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fortheseekers/caravan-of-seeers-custom-playing-cards

Black core is probably a lot like the black center layer of a playing card.  Pasteboard, the paper of a paper playing card, is two layers of paper with a layer in-between of glue that's been laced with graphite.  The graphite makes the paper opaque.  A poorly-made playing card sometimes has no graphite, or at least not enough graphite, resulting in paper you can see through under strong light, being able to read a reverse image of the face from the back.

Oh okay. Thanks, Don. I think I understand what it is now. :)

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
100% Funded, Gratz Paul!!

Its gonna boil down to when cards are in hand, and I hope their better than everyone anticipates....for a lot of reasons. $9.00 is a pretty small investment in the grand scheme of things, plus you get his little reward package, I just really like Paul's photography.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:56:13 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »

pmkane

• The art of seeing what is invisible to others.

• Facebook:
Wanted to thank Sparkz and everyone who have been supporting and helping to spread the word about Foto Grafis . . . I am just thrilled with how things have been going with the campaign. Already past the first two stretch goals . . . working up the details for the third one! Just beyond excited that these are going to be getting made! Can't wait to send out your cards!! Thank you just doesn't cover it . . . but  . . . THANK YOU!!!!!

-pmk

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »

pmkane

• The art of seeing what is invisible to others.

• Facebook:
I thought it might be fun to show off my own collection of playing cards - many of these decks are directly from Kickstarter campaigns like my own . . . And as you can see, I have a special spot reserved for when Foto Grafis gets printed!!

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 05:18:46 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I like it, pretty cool Paul! Nice use of your T11 sticker  ;)