Post Your Vintage Collection - Your Newest & Most Prized Acquisitions

Author (Read 135636 times)

Re: Post Your Vintage Collection - Your Newest & Most Prized Acquisitions
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm still wondering why USPC doesn't make this deck today!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I'm still wondering why USPC doesn't make this deck today!

I agree entirely with you Don but it will be maybe a future idea for some designers, as Jackson Robinson or Michael Scott who redrew Triplicate decks and Mauger deck.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:52:54 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I won a Consolidated Squeezers #35 a few weeks ago on eBay but the deck is without box and I have no other indication about the date, except the Encyclopedia. Despite this, is it possible to identify more specifically the issue date of this deck please ?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:19:59 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2014, 06:44:11 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I won a Consolidated Squeezers #35 a few weeks ago on eBay but the deck is without box and I have no other indication about the date, except the Encyclopedia. Despite this, is it possible to identify more specifically the issue date of this deck please ?
Difficult to be precise without seeing the cards and the box. Based on what I see in the picture, I would say it is between 1885 and 1890.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
I think about 1890-95 is right. The box might tell you more IF it's in good condition. Most boxes that old are missing or ragged as heck.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thank you Tom and Mike for the precision about the Squeezers deck!
I am very pleased to show you my third version of the first Cabinet #707 received yesterday. This update was accompanied by a small number of changes : a shiny red back with a very nice orange cloth box, stamped in black. As the logo on the box is black, the deck has not gold edges and it was a pleasant surprise because my two other versions are Extra Cabinet #707x.
This time, the deck is really complete and contains the small booklet with the instructions for the Progressive Euchre game.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:33:24 AM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #181 on: June 17, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Very nice - great to get it complete with booklet, extra scoring cards, etc. Felicitation!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2014, 12:02:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Very nice - great to get it complete with booklet, extra scoring cards, etc. Felicitation!

I fear for my bank account when I start encountering a few of these decks at Charleston!  :))
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:03:18 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2014, 12:13:04 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

I fear for my bank account when I start encountering a few of these decks at Charleston!  :))
Bring your wallet to the late-night scene that we're going to have for everyone with blackjack and poker in one of the suites right under the convention floor (2nd floor on this hotel, suites are all on the first floor, right under the convention area).  Besides, Bill & I will likely be taking up money, anyway!  ;^)

(and you might find some decks for sale, as well!)
> Mike <

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:56 AM »

athomas16

This is probably half of my (entire!) collection.  I realize you can't see much in these photos, but I plan to feature some of my better decks with individual posts in the future.  If you see any decks you want more info on, let me know.

Hi athomas16,

Would it be possible to have a scan of the deck inside the red Russell & Morgan box please?

Sorry for the delayed response.  I can provide as many pics of that deck as you would like, but I fear you will be disappointed.  That is the box that my Triplicate deck came in.  Or  I should say that is the box my Triplicate deck was in when I got it.  It almost certainly wasn't originally produced that way. 

« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
This is probably half of my (entire!) collection.  I realize you can't see much in these photos, but I plan to feature some of my better decks with individual posts in the future.  If you see any decks you want more info on, let me know.

Hi athomas16,

Would it be possible to have a scan of the deck inside the red Russell & Morgan box please?

Sorry for the delayed response.  I can provide as many pics of that deck as you would like, but I fear you will be disappointed.  That is the box that my Triplicate deck came in.  Or  I should say that is the box my Triplicate deck was in when I got it.  It almost certainly wasn't originally produced that way.

Wooow athomas!!! Your deck is fabulous.. This version with the horse on the back and the little joker is extremely desired and your copy seems in perfect condition. Beautiful surprise!! The deck is not in its original box but sincerely, I think that nobody here expected to see a Triplicate deck under this Russell & Morgan box. Thank you athomas and thanks for the pictures  ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:54:29 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Agree - very nice Triplicate - definitely wrong box. Below is a Trip box and a Trip wrapper. Some came in box and some [earlier] in a wrapper.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Agree - very nice Triplicate - definitely wrong box. Below is a Trip box and a Trip wrapper. Some came in box and some [earlier] in a wrapper.

Very nice Tom!! Have you pictures of your Trip inside the wrapper and the box please ?
Could you tell me that no Triplicate deck was issued in a box + wrapper. Either one or the other necessarily ?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:12:10 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »

athomas16

Hi athomas16,

Wooow athomas!!! Your deck is fabulous.. This version with the horse on the back and the little joker is extremely desired and your copy seems in perfect condition. Beautiful surprise!! The deck is not in its original box but sincerely, I think that nobody here expected to see a Triplicate deck under this Russell & Morgan box. Thank you athomas and thanks for the pictures  ;)

Thanks!  I have told this story before, if not on here, then the old 52+J site.  I tried to buy this deck from my uncle for several years but we could never agree to a price.  Finally we decided to flip a coin.  Heads I would pay $1000 and tails I would pay $100.  Luck was with me that day. 

At the time, Tom told me that $1000 would've been too much and Judy told me how desirable the horse back was, they both agreed it was the wrong box.  I have seen single cards with the horse back sell for $25+, but I'm still glad I won the toss.  I have never seen pictures of the correct triplicate packaging before, so thanks for posting those pics Tom.

« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2014, 10:27:37 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
This is a deck I thought was pretty neat. I'm sure they are readily available, but I got it cheap. The deck is well used, but not damaged. Inner slide box has a little damage on bottom corner. Top slide is perfect.

Rexall Drug Store- unsure what year

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This is a deck I thought was pretty neat. I'm sure they are readily available, but I got it cheap. The deck is well used, but not damaged. Inner slide box has a little damage on bottom corner. Top slide is perfect.

Rexall Drug Store- unsure what year

As a chain and a brand for merchandise, Rexall came into existence in 1902, one of a handful of chains operated by the United Drug Stores co-op.  By 1943, all the UDS chains became Rexall Drug Stores.  The chain peaked in the early-mid '50s when it started getting squeezed by corporate-owned chains and by '85 it was sold to a vitamin company.  It's a pale shadow of its former self today, with a greater presence in Canada than the US.  Dollar General acquired rights to be one of a number of exclusive retailers of Rexall products.

I'd guess that the deck probably is from the early half of the 20th century rather than the latter half, just based on the company's history alone.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:37:46 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2014, 07:03:42 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Willis Russell started a relatively short-lived company February 15th 1905 and the last gasp was the newer version of the Blue Ribbon decks in 1930. Pretty much narrows it down, but I can find no reference to that specific Joker unfortunately. Tom, any words of wisdom? The Ace of Spades is one of only two used from start to finish, so not really very helpful as to dating.
> Mike <

« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2014, 07:50:01 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
USPC group, by the time this deck was printed included Russell, Standard, Consolidated Dougherty, etc., made Country Club as a private brand for United Drug. They made dozens of private brands for stores, stationers, book stores, jewellers, etc. all of which sold cards. Somewhere I have a list of them that I obtained from USPC once. I'll try and find it and post more information.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So it's much like Stud was for Walgreens, and its replacement deck, Play-Right.

Dang, I miss those Studs!  So much nicer looking.

« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I try to never cross-post, but this is just too soecial: 1890-ish US6 with first Dundreary Joker, OB1 and basically unplayed - maybe once. It looks like it was in a drawer for 125 years! Mislisted on eBay for $49.95 and I found it first, so you know what I did...
> Mike <

« Reply #195 on: July 02, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »

athomas16

I try to never cross-post, but this is just too soecial: 1890-ish US6 with first Dundreary Joker, OB1 and basically unplayed - maybe once. It looks like it was in a drawer for 125 years! Mislisted on eBay for $49.95 and I found it first, so you know what I did...

Sonofa!

« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2014, 12:47:47 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Sonofa!
Exactly... I was more than pleased to pay up as well as add $400 insurance for her.  Not bad for a $1 investment at a thrift shop...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:48:36 PM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hello everyone !

Here are the scan of two other favourite decks of my collection.

The first deck is a 4-11-44 gold edges (Hochman L17) with a nice grey and white 4-11-44 back and a beautiful engraved Ace of Spades but without joker and box. On the back, we can see crows and if you look carefully their posture, you can distinguish the number 4-11-44 : Four with the first crow, Eleven with the latter two and Forty Four with the last two.
We can also see a crescent moon on the back. This symbol was also used in other decks, for example the Joker of the Crescent #44 (Hochman NU11) and the Joker of the Tip-Top #350 (Hochman PU1).

The second deck is an Extra 4-11-44 (Hochman L22a) with gold edges too. The back has an attractive brown color and represents a black man sitting on a rocking chair, under a crescent moon again and beside a spider web. There is a banner of playing cards in the middle of the card and when starting at the middle to either end, we can see : four of diamonds, six of heart + five of diamonds and four of spades + four of clubs. This correponds to the sequence of numbers Four Eleven Forty Four, in addition to the 4-11-44 logo, also added on this back (and captured in the spider web to maybe remind the "sticky" superstition concerning this fetish number).

The particularity of this copy is the joker and the ace of spades : The Ace saying "Globe Playing Card Co, New York and Chicago" but the joker saying "Card Fabrique Co, Factory Middletown".
I asked the question to an expert to identify better the deck in the Hochman and apparently, "it is not surprising that the deck would be issued with the Card Fabrique Ace and the Globe joker or the Globe Ace and the Card Fabrique Joker because both companies were owned by the same family and made their cards in the same factory. Other than the names the aces and jokers are the same."

About the 4-11-44 game, here is a part of the story for those who don't know :

"Four Eleven Forty Four or 4-11-44 is a phrase that has appeared repeatedly in popular music and as a reference to numbers allegedly chosen commonly by poor African Americans while gambling.

The roots of the phrase can be traced to the illegal lottery known as "policy" in 19th-century America. Numbers were drawn on a wheel of fortune, ranging from 1 to 78. A three-number entry was known as a "gig" and a bet on 4, 11, 44 was popular by the time of the Civil War.

The New York Clipper,a sporting and theatrical weekly, ran a serial story by John Cooper Vail in April and May of 1862 titled "'4-11-44!' or The Lottery of Life in the Great City," indicating that the number was already a gambling cliche. The Secrets of the Great City, an 1869 book by Edward Winslow Martin, references 4-11-44 and attributes the section on policy to "the New York correspondent of a provincial journal", but does not name the writer. Nor does he date the article, except to say it was published "recently".

The combination became known as the "washerwoman's gig" after it featured on the cover of Aunt Sally's Policy Players' Dream Book, published by H.J. Wehman of New York sometime in the 1880s. The stereotypical player of the washerwoman's gig was a poor black male."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:56:55 AM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I have not posted a lot lately, but I have been acquiring some decks over the last few months that I am very proud of and want to share here.  From the start I have wanted a focus of my collection to be railroad decks and I have made some good headway in that direction. Pictures below are several southern pacific decks (I am trying to pick up all the scenic backs), a Union Pacific, a Louisville & Nashville route, and 2 Chicago northwestern decks. After that I have a National Card Company Full House Poker Deck from the late 1800s, and a couple of classic sealed bridge decks. Now I come to my favorites I've acquired recently. I am trying to pick up some USPCC decks with unique jokers and ever since I originally saw the bird dog ace in the Hochman guide I have wanted it; so I picked up a really clean Sportsman's deck and marked it off my list. After that I have jumbo Slipcased deck with a waterfall joker which I really like. Finally I found a really unique deck from the national Elks bridge tournament during the thirties which is very clean and slick; I live the purple color. So if you want to ask about any of them or have anything to say about them then post away!
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
The rest
Josh Blackmon