You are Here:
NOC V3

Author (Read 11124 times)

NOC V3
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »

vmagic

Got an email from Blue Crown and yes it's happening! More NOC, same 5 colors. No idea how this isn't going to be any different than the previous versions. Oh I know, they are doing the same as the Black NOC, V1 courts, V2 backs, anything for a buck eh?

Re: NOC V3
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
They're making version 3 because version 2 was so popular, it sold out.  I don't see why you should be getting your nose bent out of shape over it, Victor.  There's a big difference between "anything for a buck" and "meeting consumer demand".
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:56 AM »

vmagic

If that is the case then they should just print more v2 or get larger print runs. Creating a new version like this is so that collectors will buy the new version.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:03:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If that is the case then they should just print more v2 or get larger print runs. Creating a new version like this is so that collectors will buy the new version.

But that's the problem, Victor - you and many other collectors feel this compulsion to buy every version of every deck, when the truth of it is that you can be picky and choosy.  If you're so against them making a version three, the simple solution is to express your dissatisfaction by not purchasing it, plain and simple!  I went on a rant about this only moments ago in the topic about the Zenpure deck or some other deck, I don't remember.

Buy what makes you happy - and NOTHING ELSE.  You control the hobby of card collecting, NOT the other way around.  You are never compelled to purchase so much as a single deck of cards, EVER.

If car companies used the logic you want TBC to apply, we'd still be driving around in vehicles like the Plymouth K-cars or the Ford Pinto or the AMC Pacer!  There would be no design innovation.  Clothing retailers using that logic would be making the same fashions that were in stores the day you were born!  Sure, things such as the Bicycle Rider Back and the Fruit of the Loom Briefs probably haven't changed much since that day, but plenty of other things have - life isn't still life, it's living, breathing, CHANGING all the time.

In fact, the entire custom deck hobby as it exists today WOULD NOT EXIST if card companies did as you dictate, never changing their designs.  We would have a few mainstay designs that have been around for close to if not more than a hundred years, and NOTHING ELSE.  USPC would love it if the market would accept it - it's cheaper and easier for them to make the same designs over and over and over, ad infinitum.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:07:19 AM »

vmagic

But what could they possibly change in this design?

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:13:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
But what could they possibly change in this design?

Who knows?  Perhaps they won't change a thing?  Maybe just a different box?  Or a new Ace of Spades?  There's no shortage of elements they can tweak - or not tweak - and still call it version 3.  We'll just have to wait like the other punters to figure it out, right?  :))

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »

vmagic

I thought you of all people would know, or might already have these, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
people dont just send Don everything before it comes out. he is not a part of blue crown.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I thought you of all people would know, or might already have these, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Even if I did, would I be at liberty to talk about it?  (I don't.)

I haven't actually spoken with anyone from TBC for some months now.  I do get in touch with Kevin now and then, but he's now living maybe ten hours away by car...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:54:04 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 09:20:41 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think I know, but as with Don, am not at liberty to say if I did. So don't ask me,  ya goons! :D
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
What is so great about these Noc decks? This isn't a rhetorical question; I really want to know.  It seems like they have standard courts and just have one solid color on the back. Are the Ace of Spades and jokers that great to warrant buying this deck?

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think it's because they are pretty inexpensive and simple, so magician types in particular like them as they don't cause any confusion when performing. I personally think you can have a little style and not draw attention, but to each their own!
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Ohh,  okay. Now I understand.  Thanks,  Paul!  :)  I was looking at these and assumed they were aimed at collectors,  but it seems like their simplicity is to target magicians and that's totally fine. I guess the many versions would suck for collectors who feel the need to buy everything,  but it should be no problem for other collectors who only buy what pleases them. I don't care much for this deck so I don't care how many iterations of these will be available in the future since I am not compelled to buy any of them.  But I guess that's just me. :)

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 11:49:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What is so great about these Noc decks? This isn't a rhetorical question; I really want to know.  It seems like they have standard courts and just have one solid color on the back. Are the Ace of Spades and jokers that great to warrant buying this deck?

Beyond having a solid color for a back design, which to the spectator would indicate no way to hide a marking system (and they'd be wrong!), it's among the least-expensive, frequently-stocked decks on the market with Magic Finish coating.  They are indeed targeted more for magicians than collectors, though that doesn't stop collectors from buying them!

I think it's because they are pretty inexpensive and simple, so magician types in particular like them as they don't cause any confusion when performing. I personally think you can have a little style and not draw attention, but to each their own!

I agree on that.  The primary thing for a "magician's deck" is to look enough like what a spectator might have at home to put them at ease - it's one of the major reasons that most T11-designed faces are recolored variants of the Anglo-American standard.  Zenneth Kok uses bog-standard faces for his own deck designs, right down to the Ace of Spades.  Back designs can be a bit more interesting, but again, some like the simple, flat, solid color.  There are some cardists that prefer a perfectly ordinary or bland back design for their decks, in order for the cardistry moves to be the center of attention and not the flashy-looking cards.

Even all that I wrote above you couldn't exactly call "rules of magician's cards".  Sometimes you pick a deck suited to the audience.  If I entertain kids, they love when I use "The Dog" deck from USPC.  If my audience is a little more goth/emo, maybe something out of the Big Blind Media library would be of more interest.  A bunch of college kids would probably get a kick if I performed for them with the Red Plastic Cup deck.  And so on, and so on.

Different audiences, different circumstances, different performers - different decks.

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 12:20:05 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

Beyond having a solid color for a back design, which to the spectator would indicate no way to hide a marking system (and they'd be wrong!), it's among the least-expensive, frequently-stocked decks on the market with Magic Finish coating.  They are indeed targeted more for magicians than collectors, though that doesn't stop collectors from buying them!

The Nocs are marked? Or they've been marked in the past? How?

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 01:12:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The Nocs are marked? Or they've been marked in the past? How?

In the version 2 decks, they made slight tweaks to the backs to mark them, but only for identifying the suit, not the value.  There's a video that explains the marking system they have for download, but I think only customers who bought the deck can download it.  Pick up a v2 deck, look it over long enough, and you'll find the marking system - I never even watched the download.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos

So Alex posted this on his Facebook/instagram page. Considering it has a sideways tuck, I think these are more likely than not EPCC. Pretty cool if you ask me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:48:46 PM by john »
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

• The Expert Playing Card Company

So Alex posted this on his Facebook/instagram page. Considering it has a sideways tuck, I think these are more likely than not EPCC. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I think you just might be on to something John! And the point of this deck isn't so much for collecting as it is to be used by magicians and cardistry folks. They are pretty great.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Looking forward to this one from a business point of view- Nocs sell very nicely and being printed with the same stock and finish as the Exquisites should only increase sales! :) great news.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos

I think you just might be on to something John! And the point of this deck isn't so much for collecting as it is to be used by magicians and cardistry folks. They are pretty great.

I for one will be a fan! I love both versions of NOC's and I love all my EPCC decks I have. Seeing them together should make for one great working deck. Would you be able to provide any more info on it? Or are we going to have to wait for TBC?
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 07:22:01 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Look like this is the new trend, having a sideways flap
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Look like this is the new trend, having a sideways flap

If you print a deck with EPCC, it doesn't require any hoops to jump through and is a fun change of pace.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
These are back in stock at The Blue Crown at the $5 price point and should be showing up everywhere else again pretty soon. I think it's great these saw a second print run! More access is fantastic.  :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:07:36 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 03:03:38 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
They're referring to it as V3S... kind of like an iPhone.

They've hinted improved handling by mentioning that there's an improvement to the cardstock.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
The main difference that I have read is they are now not made in the USA, but in Taipei.