You are Here:
[KS] Victor E Mauger 1876 restoration by Home Run Games

Author (Read 6000 times)

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Coming soon to kickstarter, Home Run Games 2nd restoration deck. The first image is a USPCC Standard Edition, the second image is dubbed as Mauger Replica Edition.

You can click the following link to read a bit more about the original centennial deck.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/404269-T000092/Mauger-Centennial-Ex78position-Playing-Cards
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:25:13 PM by Rob Wright »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I like that someone is finally using a slipcase box for a change.  They're gorgeous but haven't seen regular use in too many decades.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I like what I see so far. I hope that the cards look that good.
Enthusiast collector

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
This is a great deck of historical interest. There are a small number known, a few in great shape, and it will be interesting to see if a deck of this nature will be of interest as a repro to new collectors. I suspect several antique card collectors will want one as for many it is unlikely that they will ever find an original. We had one years ago but sold it because we have always believed that decks with strong American history aspects should end up in US collections - not in the frozen north!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This is a great deck of historical interest. There are a small number known, a few in great shape, and it will be interesting to see if a deck of this nature will be of interest as a repro to new collectors. I suspect several antique card collectors will want one as for many it is unlikely that they will ever find an original. We had one years ago but sold it because we have always believed that decks with strong American history aspects should end up in US collections - not in the frozen north!

Modern collectors are actually pretty big on historical reproductions.  It's sort of like a "poor man's vintage collection" - the original of this deck would probably exceed the playing card budget of a lot of the younger collectors on this board and even many of the older ones.  Having a reprint, especially a faithful reprint, is like the next best thing.  A decent section of my collection is dedicated to reprints of vintage and antique decks.

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

Modern collectors are actually pretty big on historical reproductions.  It's sort of like a "poor man's vintage collection" - the original of this deck would probably exceed the playing card budget of a lot of the younger collectors on this board and even many of the older ones.  Having a reprint, especially a faithful reprint, is like the next best thing.  A decent section of my collection is dedicated to reprints of vintage and antique decks.

I'm so glad home run games are doing something like this. It's definitely a treat for modern collectors, such as myself. As for the pricing of the original deck, according to the ruby lane web page, it's at $1200 - yowzer!!
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm a big fan or the modern day reprint of the historical decks. As Don mentioned, an original would exceed my budget for cards right now. (Hey, who knows what the future holds!) I also have a portion of my collection dedicated to the historical reprints.

I'll be on board with these for sure.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

rousselle

• Forum Regular
I'm on board, as well, but I hope he/they will fulfill their previous KS project before launching this one. I'd really like to see a successfully completed project before backing another.

That said, this project looks great, and I'll be excited to receive the triplicates soon.
There are no 3's in rousselle. There are, however, two s's, two l's, two e's (but not in a row), an r, an o, and a u.

Re: [KS] Victor E Mauger 1876 restoration by Home Run Games - COMING SOON!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:13 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Look out for the Mauger Quadruplicate Restoration

Launching tomorrow at 1:00 pm Pacific time

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
A wonderful deck.. Here is a scan of the Original.. I'm looking forward to the Re-issue... Can't wait to recieve the Re-issue Triplicate deck..  :-)

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Interesting trivia: Mauger's company motto was "nunquam retrorsum", Latin for "never back".  It's kind of funny when you consider that Home Run Games is "going back" to make the reprint!

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I really like the reproduction decks. I get to experience components and elements of the original art in a deck that I'm not nervous, or downright terrified, to take out of the package and touch. Bring them on, I'm in!

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I really like the reproduction decks. I get to experience components and elements of the original art in a deck that I'm not nervous, or downright terrified, to take out of the package and touch. Bring them on, I'm in!

Totally agree, especially for the more unique decks.  This one definitely has potential, looking forward to the launch.

ozfan30

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I managed for once to get a very limited tier. Got the all 5 decks for 50, I am excited for this one, going to come in for a lot less than what I was expecting.

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Interesting trivia: Mauger's company motto was "nunquam retrorsum", Latin for "never back".  It's kind of funny when you consider that Home Run Games is "going back" to make the reprint!
"Never back" could also apply to the fact it is a kickstarter project.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:44:01 PM by DarkDerp »
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

Re: [KS] Victor E Mauger 1876 restoration by Home Run Games
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 10:31:17 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

1876, Mauger Quadruplicate Playing Card Restoration

About 6 1/2 hours in, and over half way funded!
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 05:27:23 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
This deck is superb. I love the stories and history behind cards so this is a really interesting one. The little tidbits like leaving the 5 of clubs out of the original replica is great. I've pledged for 2 of each decks at $190 incld intl shipping which is much more money than I should be spending :-(. At least it means I can open them all up and still keep a set sealed though.
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 10:30:04 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Michael does a very good job on his restorations. The Triplicates are awesome. I think the Maugers will be amazing. Just a friendly reminder, only a few hours left on this campaign. About five and a half as I post this. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 02:21:43 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Michael does a very good job on his restorations. The Triplicates are awesome. I think the Maugers will be amazing. Just a friendly reminder, only a few hours left on this campaign. About five and a half as I post this. :)
Thanks so much for the reminder. I somehow missed this project entirely but I'm glad I got my pledge in.

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 09:44:11 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
hate to post a dissenting opinion again but I'm regretting not dropping my pledge for this as I had originally planned. One of the first and only times I've ever felt buyer's remorse after paying for cards. Was personally promised a tracking # on my pledge for the Triplicates over a week ago, no follow up as of yet, I only let my pledge carry through because other people here and on Kickstarter comments vouched for the project creator but I should have at least dropped down my pledge level.

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
hate to post a dissenting opinion again but I'm regretting not dropping my pledge for this as I had originally planned. One of the first and only times I've ever felt buyer's remorse after paying for cards. Was personally promised a tracking # on my pledge for the Triplicates over a week ago, no follow up as of yet, I only let my pledge carry through because other people here and on Kickstarter comments vouched for the project creator but I should have at least dropped down my pledge level.

I think your opinion holds value whether it's for or against something. We all have different experiences with various things. I don't think you'll be feeling the buyers remorse quite so much once you receive your Triplicates. I hope they get to you soon. The decks are really well done. Only thing I personally don't like about the Triplicates is the plastic reflective stamp. I found it extremely difficult to get a thumbnail through and had to pull out a blade. Aside from that much happiness with the two decks. I certainly agree fulfillment took(is taking) longer than anticipated, but they will arrive to you very well packed. If that helps at all. Fulfillment is always the most difficult part of the campaign when you don't want to trust a service with your product.

The Maugers should have paper seals on them by the way. So even that minor gripe has been addressed. I think they're going to be awesome. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I personally had problems with them on delivery as well. I do believe they do deliver as most people should have already told you, but just how long your delivery takes. I still remember i only received decks from their first project more than a year after the "promised" date, and that was after numerous emails asking about it as well. I just think while they are making good decks, their sometimes empty promises and delayed deliveries are bound to hurt them sooner rather than later. I do hope they will make some changes to their sending or proper "check-listing" on their deliveries or whatever is the problem.